Sending Ableton Push MIDI While Editing Artillery Plug-in Panel?

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I have Ableton with a Push, and I am having difficulty modifying Artillery in real-time.

If I insert Artillery into an audio track, and then create a separate MIDI track to route notes to control Artillery, then I need to have the MIDI track highlighted to receive notes I play on the Push, but I need to have the Audio track with Artillery on it highlighted to be able to open it's control panel and modify it's setting - and I can't do both.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can play MIDI notes in real-time, and have the Artillery panel open?

Thanks!

I know nothing about Push, but maybe this helps you:

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/worki ... te-windows

Hi. Thanks for the response. I think I'm pretty well versed on configuring VSTs and floating windows and such. I think this particular problem does have to do with Push specifically, because I am able to have the panel open and send notes to Artillery in real-time when I use another controller.

In any case, any ideas for a workaround are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Not sure, but I think the problem is that Remote Control scripts takeover "normal" MIDI, so Live doesn't treat it as "normal" MIDI anymore, it treats it as special Remote Control commands (whatever special stuff Push does in the selected track), not sending regular MIDI anymore for the other track to receive.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/midi- ... te-control

edit: Lauchpad MIni has a "user mode" where it works as just a MIDI pad for playing notes, it does send MIDI note to another track, maybe Push has such a "user mode" too?

YES!!!!! Push has a user mode and it totally worked. Thank you!!!

I swear I have read so much of the Ableton Manual... but that page doesn't look familiar... maybe I missed it somehow, or it was an update with the new version... in any case... thanks for the link and the suggestion. You have improved my understanding Remote Control commands and the User Mode.

Cheers to you!

I just re-read the links you sent me.

It turns out I have read that section... the last time I read it, it was worded slightly differently - they must have done some minor revisions.

In any case, reading that info from a beginner's perspective wouldn't necessarily have led me to make the connection to use Push's user mode for this issue. I think this issue may have more to do with MIDI remote scripts and how control units handle that, particularly Push.

In any case, thanks again for making the connection for me!

And for other user's of Push, this method does work, however, the communication between Push and Live is essentially "one-way"... meaning that the controller goes completely dark - no LEDs are active. So you can't see the notes that were recorded during play. It's still useful, especially if that's the only controller you have though.

I have a Maschine MK2 controller as well, and I have set it up so that LEDs will activate after they have been recorded. I prefer it that way, but it does take some extra steps - not only to setup, but also to maintain, because IAC busses are required (when using Mac).

Cheers!

Return to “Sugar Bytes”