Noise in Sonicbirth

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all! I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to explain the causes of digital noise/distortion in Sonicbirth.

At the moment I'm trying to build a high quality compressor for a university project, and have started to experience a few problems.
Basically, I've got all the essential controls in there and have started to work on a circuit which controls knee softness. The circuit seems to be producing the right numbers but as soon as i connect this to my ratio I get a very light digital distortion.
After this I figured that maybe my compressor just 'didn't like' having a variable reduction applied to the ratio, so I experimented in using a similar circuit to apply reduction to the gain reduction itself. Again the maths looked fine, and wasn't throwing out any weird numbers (innappropriate minuses, etc) but as soon as i connect it up the, same distortion comes back.
I'm quite frustrated as I've realised that I don't really understand what would make this happen in the first place, so any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

AdeCastronovo wrote:Hello all! I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to explain the causes of digital noise/distortion in Sonicbirth.

At the moment I'm trying to build a high quality compressor for a university project, and have started to experience a few problems.
Basically, I've got all the essential controls in there and have started to work on a circuit which controls knee softness. The circuit seems to be producing the right numbers but as soon as i connect this to my ratio I get a very light digital distortion.
After this I figured that maybe my compressor just 'didn't like' having a variable reduction applied to the ratio, so I experimented in using a similar circuit to apply reduction to the gain reduction itself. Again the maths looked fine, and wasn't throwing out any weird numbers (innappropriate minuses, etc) but as soon as i connect it up the, same distortion comes back.
I'm quite frustrated as I've realised that I don't really understand what would make this happen in the first place, so any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
I had the same Problem with my Deesser under Cubase 5.
The last Cubase 5 update had fixed it.

In Sonic Birth everything was smothly.

AdeCastronovo wrote:Hello all! I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to explain the causes of digital noise/distortion in Sonicbirth.

Many Thanks
It is easy to create amplitude modulation based distortions in any gain control device, but without describing / measuring the distortion, it is impossible to diagnose the cause.

What is the basic topology of your compressor?

Are you using RMS averaging in the detector?

How are you softening the "knee" of the sidechain control signal?

Return to “SonicBirth”