Two Questions (or more...)

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I want to start using SonicBirth to make some effects that I have in mind. I've been investigating these days and I'm a bit confused.

First of all, I would like to make my plugin for both Windows and Mac, VST and AU. SonicBirth is only for Mac, and I've seen the VST doesn't work well. So using SonicBirth my plugin will be an Audio Unit for Mac only.
The other frameworks like synthmaker are only for Windows, same problem.
I decided to use SonicBirth because I'm a Mac OS and AU user, but the thing that it is half discontinued scares me a little.

So my first question is: is there any other framework that can produce plugins for Mac and Windows platforms?

Another thing that I don't like about SonicBirth is the way that it uses the GUI slider images, the same image is rotating. I would like to have the possibility to use a strip image made in KnobMan, is it possible? The interfaces could be more realistic that way.

And my final question: can I make an amp simulation in SonicBirth? I haven't seen anyone.

Thanks a lot!

SonicBirth is OS X only.

The problem with the VST versions of SonicBirth-made plug-ins is, AFAIK, only in Reaper. I have not seen this problem in other VST hosts (Nuendo/Cubase, Bidule, etc). Since Reaper can also hosts AU, it's not a big of a deal.

SonicBirth version 1.3.1 beta 2 is compatible with OS X ranging from 10.3.9 to 10.8 (developer preview 4), which is a very good track record for plug-ins that rely on an "external engine" (the SB framework). Even though SonicBirth development is in limbo, the project could be quick started if there was an incentive to the original developer.

You can "fake" rotating knobs by using PNG transparency: the main part of the knob is on the GUI background image and the line or slit of the knob (that sounds... funny) is in a PNG image with an alpha channel.

I thought that on a past update the SB framework (runtime) was not necessary already.

Even with transparency it's hard to do, it would be so nice to use a stripped png. Well, I'll have to settle :)

Anyway, is there any other framework that can produce plugins for Mac and Windows platforms?
can I make an amp simulation in SonicBirth using the defined elements?

Up!

Return to “SonicBirth”