Bug with trigonometric functions?

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

this is my first post in this forum.

I am trying to write my first Sonic Birth PlugIn but as soon as I include trigonometric functions I encounter calculating problems.

For example:

sin (0) should be 0, sin (90) should be 1, any number between 0 and 90 should therefore result in a value between 0 and 1. But if I create (in a empty circuit) a slider from 0 to 90, connect it to a sin object and monitor the result in a show value object (an audiofile must be run to make the display working), I get completely wrong results.

For 90 it outputs the value of 0.893996664, for 0 it results in 2.47033e-32

Am I missing something?

MM

Degree values have to be in radian: pi/180.

Hint: it' always better to have a multiplication rather than a division, so transform that division into a constant multiplication by entering "pi/180" into a constant multiplication element. The degrees control, that I guess will be part of the GUI, will be then multiplied by a constant of 0.0174532925199433.

Also, you don't need a file, just press start in the "Sound server", without loading a file.

Ok, thanks.

That helps. Needed some time for a solution to my problem, though, as to keep it simple, I was giving the sin - circuit as an example to find out if there is something wrong with the trigonometric function, while I actually needed was the opposite: I have the sin (or cos) and I need to calculate the angle in degrees. The function I need is asin (x).

So, radiant was the important clue, I found in wikipedia the inverse function x*(180/pi).
So thanks again!

MM

-------

btw: Where the hell in the manual can I find that? I mean - in every damn calculator i enter a number, press the sin button, and get the correct value. Nowhere any hint, that values have to be in radiant rather then an degree format.

MassMover wrote:btw: Where the hell in the manual can I find that? I mean - in every damn calculator i enter a number, press the sin button, and get the correct value. Nowhere any hint, that values have to be in radiant rather then an degree format.
I agree that the manual is bare bones (SonicBirth was originally an end of term project for a course in software engineering, so I guess that docs were not a high priority...), but when dealing with trigonometry, it's either degrees or radians. When I first used sine and cosine elements with degrees and it didn't output the expected results, I also scratched my head and tried radians just to see if it worked.

The calculator that comes with OS X has a degree/radian switch: maybe it's defaulted to degrees, I've never noticed.

So, after a round of math the PlugIn starts to get working - slowly. But whenever I install it as an AU, it won't pass the AU validation on Logic's start - it causes Logic to crash. The original SB PlugIns work fine. I downloaded the 1.3.1b2, but with this version not even the framework will pass the validation. So I went back to 1.3.0.

I canot even export a simple 2in-hardpatch-2out test PlugIn - Logic tells me to verify the new PlugIn - and than quits.

I'm on a G5 Quad with X.5.8 (Leopard) and Logic9 - any help would be appreciated.

MM

Return to “SonicBirth”