Evolution Acoustic Guitar "Steel Strings" (Introductory discount EXTENDED)

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! I'm very interested in acoustic guitar libraries at the moment, and I was wondering if there was someone here who has purchased OrangeTree's acoustic guitar as well as other products (Ilya Efimov comes to mind.) Would a comparison be possible? Thanks.

The Orange Tree Acoustic is a steel string.

The Efimow is a nylon string.

Currently, the Orange Tree Acoustic is arguably the best steel string guitar library available, just as the Efimov is the arguably the best nylon string library available.

So it all depends on the kind of guitar you're looking for. I assume you're familiar with the two types of guitars?

synchronizer wrote:Hello! I'm very interested in acoustic guitar libraries at the moment, and I was wondering if there was someone here who has purchased OrangeTree's acoustic guitar as well as other products (Ilya Efimov comes to mind.) Would a comparison be possible? Thanks.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

I'm not extremely familiar with the differences, but one thing is true: Both types sound nice.

I think the Nylon is what I'm after though, since the steel strings are a tad harsh. I guess I answered my own question then. I hope that Orangetree samples considers creating a nylon guitar-- I like the scripting and ease of use that the products have.

I'm actually slightly surprised that you're not familiar with the difference between the two... especially in this time of the internet, television, movies, etc. I would maybe look around on youtube and see if you can find some videos of these two types of guitars. Not the sampled ones, but the actual thing. Also, what I would do is pay a visit to your local music shop. It doesn't matter whether you actually plan on buying a guitar or not... but I think seeing, hearing, and touching the real thing would give you a far far better experience of what each instrument is about than just having someone on some forum tell you about. IMO.

But in short...

A nylon string guitar (also sometimes referred to as a classical guitar or perhaps even as a flamenco guiter) has strings made of... nylon. Traditionally these used to be made of cat gut. Nylon stringed guitars are usually easily identified by the headstock, which has two elongated holes through which the strings are wound. The strings go down into the "holes" and are wound onto the tuning pegs. [I'm basically telling you this so that if you see a guitar on tv, you can better determine what kind of guitar you're seeing.] The nylon strings are much softer to play on and the tone is not as bright and is also softer than the tone of a steel string guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8BBB-1G ... re=related

A steel string guitar has strings made of... steel. This is the kind of guitar that you might have encountered being played by your favorite rock and/or country artist on tv, etc. The body of a steel string guitar is usually larger than that of a nylon guitar. The headstock is typically solid and the strings are wound around the pins that stick up out of the top. The steel strings are a lot harder to play - especially when you're starting out and the tone is a lot brighter (harsher as you said). These guitars tend to be louder than their nylon siblings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiN34zi- ... re=related

I also hope that OTS makes a nylon guitar!

In the meantime, you could also check out Pettinhouse and Indiginus or perhaps even Lyrical Distortion. The reason I mention LDS is because they're having a $10 sale so for $20 you could get one of each kind and play around with them and then decide which kind you want. Though I would still highly recommend getting yourself to a music shop and physically seeing the real thing in person - especially if you've never seen a guitar up close and personal before.

synchronizer wrote:I'm not extremely familiar with the differences, but one thing is true: Both types sound nice.

I think the Nylon is what I'm after though, since the steel strings are a tad harsh. I guess I answered my own question then. I hope that Orangetree samples considers creating a nylon guitar-- I like the scripting and ease of use that the products have.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

efimov has a steel string also. I haven't used it in person, but I'm not in the market for any other steel acoustics since I own Greg's. I'm also going to hold off on any nylon purchases in the hopes there will be an orange tree one.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:efimov has a steel string also. I haven't used it in person, but I'm not in the market for any other steel acoustics since I own Greg's. I'm also going to hold off on any nylon purchases in the hopes there will be an orange tree one.
+1

I had been thinking about picking up Ilya's nylon acoustic guitar and have been fishing for people to give feedback on the scripting quality/usability, because I thought the guitar in the dev's demos sounded better than any other nylon acoustic guitar library I've heard. However, today I just heard a customer's demo of the library at VI-Control that revealed buzzing strings and uneven tone that surprised me (ftr, I think the customer's playing sounds really good, no fault there; the problems are all with the samples). I don't know if the problem was the guitar used or the guitarist. The uneven tone -- note the inconsistency in brightness --leads me to suspect that the problem lies with the ability of the guitarist used. Consequently, I'm waiting in hopes of Greg doing a nylon acoustic.

Here's the file I'm referring to (again, I think the keyboardist -- prscully20 at VI-Control -- did a great job):

http://soundcloud.com/prscully20/bwv-1006a-prelude

Hmm... hopefully we can look into that. I'd like to get the Ilya Nylon Guitar library eventually, but not if indeed it isn't as good as it purported to be--when it comes to ease of use. Either A- the library isn't good (but I'm confident that it is-) or B- it's not very intuitive.

eDrummer, since you seem to be interested in getting the library, I'm looking forward to hearing more from you about this---but perhaps this should be moved into another thread unless someone finds this helpful. ha

eDrummist wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:efimov has a steel string also. I haven't used it in person, but I'm not in the market for any other steel acoustics since I own Greg's. I'm also going to hold off on any nylon purchases in the hopes there will be an orange tree one.
+1

I had been thinking about picking up Ilya's nylon acoustic guitar and have been fishing for people to give feedback on the scripting quality/usability, because I thought the guitar in the dev's demos sounded better than any other nylon acoustic guitar library I've heard. However, today I just heard a customer's demo of the library at VI-Control that revealed buzzing strings and uneven tone that surprised me (ftr, I think the customer's playing sounds really good, no fault there; the problems are all with the samples). I don't know if the problem was the guitar used or the guitarist. The uneven tone -- note the inconsistency in brightness --leads me to suspect that the problem lies with the ability of the guitarist used. Consequently, I'm waiting in hopes of Greg doing a nylon acoustic.

Here's the file I'm referring to (again, I think the keyboardist -- prscully20 at VI-Control -- did a great job):

http://soundcloud.com/prscully20/bwv-1006a-prelude
Hi Peter, how are you?
I was searching for advices concerning classic guitar sample libraries and read your post. Talking about Efimov: to me a little imperfection in this perfect sample world is welcomed especially on guitar.
I'm probably a bit late for giving you some feedback but I did this little 'live' demo as soon as I bought this library and I like its playability very much. I didn't use keyswitches here, only automatic legato and sustain pedal when needed hence the library has a lot more to offer :ud:

See you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqtnTh0NAkg

Ops sorry Greg I just realized I'm in the Orange forum and I am waaay OT. Feel free to erase my post (or ask me to do it) if needed.
Anyway your Evolution library will be my next purchase, it seems the best acoustic guitar around :)

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”