EAG - strumming tips (?)

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to get a good strumming performance out of EAG, but so far I totally failed :cry:
It just doesn't sound right in the transitions between down- and upstrokes... somehow "chopped"

Does anyone have some tips or maybe even some midi files that demonstrate realistic strumming performance?

Cheers,
Doc

Hi,

You might check out the included MIDI files from the audio demos--they're in the "Demo Songs" folder.

Here's a quick soft strumming test I just made, let me know if it's helpful: http://www.box.net/shared/kc3l8ng7m32b7if5ud9n

(put the "Soft Finger Strumming" patch in your rhythm guitar folder)

Kind regards,

Greg
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Hi Greg,

thanks for the tips :)

Though tbh it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

I try to do some very soft strumming (with pick) where the sound doesn't "stop" at any time.
I'll try to find an example for this.

Cheers,
Doc

Dr.Gunjah wrote:I try to do some very soft strumming (with pick) where the sound doesn't "stop" at any time.
Are you using the sustain pedal?

Dr.Gunjah wrote: I try to do some very soft strumming (with pick) where the sound doesn't "stop" at any time.
Are you using the lead patches or the rhythm patches?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

@standalone: no, what does it?

@Greg: I'm using the rhythm patches for the strumming

Dr.Gunjah wrote:@standalone: no, what does it?
Hopefully what you are looking for. Try to draw a line for the sustain in the midi automation section of your track if you don't have a sustain pedal.

standalone wrote:
Dr.Gunjah wrote:@standalone: no, what does it?
Hopefully what you are looking for. Try to draw a line for the sustain in the midi automation section of your track if you don't have a sustain pedal.
Oh... I overlooked this post.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it.

Cheers,
Doc

In my attempt to get a good strumming performance out of EAG I tried to make a strumming preset with almost everything accesible by keyswitches or CCs.
This worked great for me with EEG(Lead) though with EAG I encountered some problems:
- I can't use C-2 to C0 for keyswitches because there are special FX mapped. Is there a way to remap the FX to the higher notes above the playing zone? When I use keyswitches above the playing zone they only work when I nudge them left in Reaper which pretty much sucks. It wouldn't be a problem to have the FX in the higher note ranges. This problem is also present for the lead patch.
- Is there a CC that I can use to control strumming speed and decay independently from the settings in the strum palette? I tried simple midi mapping in kontakt but it doesn't work as intended. When performing live the velo->speed might be okay, but in a sequenced track a much higher grade of variation(->realism?) could be achieved with decoupled controls.
- similar problem with the strum palette. For example I can not have a patch with realistic strumming and picking. Mainly because the picking alone takes all 12 slots if I want down- and upstrokes. This is better solved in the Lead patch where I can for example set "alternate" as default setting and then use two keyswitches for up- and downstrumming.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I actually hope I am :D)

Cheers,
Doc

Hmmm, I think you're on the right track with using the lead guitar for strumming instead. You'll have more space for keyswitches (either above or below the key note range) and be able to easily mix in single notes, slides, legato, etc.

The strumming will all be combined with the single note triggering type patch in the Kontakt 4 update for the Evolution guitars. I think in terms of strum keys / strum patterns, the flexibility will rely a lot more on potential automation. So for example, you could set the strum speed to an absolute amount, or just automate the single control to a CC # to change it in real-time.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

can someone point me to a demo of a country/folk strum? i havnt purchased EAG yet. looks like a great product.

the storyteller demo is enough for me.

It's a little folk/singer-songwriter, so here's part of the Bon Iver song, "Stacks" that I recreated using Evolution Acoustic Guitar Steel Strings.

Audio:

http://www.box.net/shared/90gjg3sudug5lnjebze7

Zip file containing the midi file, presets, etc.:

http://www.box.net/shared/e2uthke7mdyig75cugp5
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

very good. EAG is very cool. a definite must.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger and purchasing the acoustic guitar. If only there were some video demos showing it, I'd feel a lot more comfortable.

The main comparison I have is with Chris Hein Guitars. I'd like to know if EAG functions in a similar manner. You can watch a short video of the CH guitars on this page: http://www.chrishein.net/web/CHG_Vid_ChordMode1.html

He has a chord detection so I plan a chord and it'll detect it and put the base of the chord in the base. Then with the C/C# keys I can strum up/down (I see the electric guitar is like that too). Chris Hein has some other up & down strumms but I don't know what they mean. Like hammer on etc.

There is also chord detection off so it strums whatever keys are held down.

The other thing that's cool is he can strum and then play a few individual notes (picking) and them strum again. I like that.

I'm curious if EAG can do all that and if it's easy to use? I'm not very good with sequencers so I'd like to play it live and then if I have to correct minor things in the sequencer that'd be ok.

I'd like to use it for both strumming, fingerpicking, and a mix of the two.

I really hesitate to buy something without a trial or at least some videos (even if unoffical videos like on you tube). So far I hear how great EAG is but I can't really see how great it is. I main criteria is easy to use.

Do you have a refund policy?

Thanks

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”