Mind Control "not" option ?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to have 3 layers in Mind Control. Layer 1 is the default, but Layer 2 is played on a random 50/50 basis. Layer 3 is triggered by a non-latching key (F#0).

When I am holding down the non-latching key, I don't want Layer 2 randomly triggered, so it is possible for Layer 2 to randomly trigger AS LONG AS non-latching key F#0 is not being held ?

While there isn't a NOT logic gate, you can use the order of the layers to achieve that result. That's because higher layers are given priority. So with layer 3 being triggered only with a non-latching keyswitch, that will override layer 2 and layer 1 when the keyswitch condition is met.

If you set up Mind Control as you described, do you get those results? If not, let me know and I'll send you the latest version of Mind Control, as it might just be due to a earlier version.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Ok, that seems to have fixed it.

BTW, I meant to ask you, what are the two values for Random ? The manual doesn't explain it. I guess the second one, marked "CHANCE" is a percent, so if it's set to 50 it means there's a 50/50 chance of triggering. But what is the fist figure for ? It just says "IN".

It's "x in y" possibility. So, if you have it set up to "2 in 10", then out of 10 key presses, 2 should result in the layer being played. I think.

Greg - it might help if there was some way of visualising the chances, and the possibility to restart the seeding. For example, let's say we have a 3 in 8 chance for a particular layer. If I guess that you used Fisher-Yates shuffle (which is highly probable, considering you mentioned it in our KSP talks at certain point), then this could be shown with a table. For example:

[ 0 ] [ 0 ] [ 1 ] [ 0 ] [ 0 ] [ 1 ] [ 0 ]

Would be awesome if somehow you could display at which array index we are currently, and it would move dynamically. After all 7 values are played out, we would see the refreshed seed table. For example:

[ 0 ] [ 1 ] [ 0 ] [ 0 ] [ 1 ] [ 0 ] [ 1 ]

etc.

This poses a slight problem when higher numbers of "in" are used, though. Any ideas?

OK I think I see. But if, for example, I specified 1 in 2 chance, it doesn't necessarily mean that it would keep alternating between slots, because then that wouldn't be random ... right ?

Actually, I just tried it and 1 in 2 never triggers the other layer.

So how do I setup a 1 in 2 chance of triggering ?

How do you have the layers set up? I just tried it like this and it works:

Layer 1 - Slot 1 (no conditions)
Layer 2 - Slot 2 (random 1 in 2 chance)

If this setup doesn't work for you, I think I know what's going on, just let me know.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

What seems to be happening is that with the new version you sent me, the functions (Random, Key latch, etc) only work on MIDI Channel 1. If I use any other channel, nothing works ....

Ah, I'll check that out and see if I can figure out what's going on.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

It will be weird if it's true, that nobody else noticed. But I can't see any other reason for it other than the new MC script.

Just wondered if you had a fix for this yet ?

Can you PM me your email address? I'll send you the latest MC script--it's working fine on my system, so I suspect what you're running into is a result of an older version. We'll see...
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”