Acoustic Guitar - Questions About Chord Definitions

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here are a few questions I have about chord definitions.

1. Is it possible to add additional chord types to chord definitions, e.g. 9th or 13th chords?

2. Is it possible to define what combination of notes trigger a particular chord definition? A, D, G (played in that order from lowest to highest) triggers an Am chord as opposed to a Dsus4, a Gsus2 or an A7sus4 (no 5th). This doesn't make sense to me as there is neither a D nor a G in Am.

3. If I modify a default chord definition will the release setting in preferences respond accordingly? This does not seem to be the case. I changed the voicing for D major to include the open A string, but that note does not sustain when I pull my hand off the keyboard even when release is set to "open".

4. Is it possible to bypass chord definitions altogether and just strum whatever notes you play in the chord detection zone?

Thanks!

benjaminfrog wrote: 1. Is it possible to add additional chord types to chord definitions, e.g. 9th or 13th chords?
Not in the current engine, no. However, what I've done in the past is to modify other chords to access voicings that aren't currently available. For example, if I need a major 9th chord, I might just replace the major 7th chord definition with it. In fact, a lot of times I'll just modify the "root" chord voicing and put whichever chords I need in those chord types, just because it makes things a lot simpler to perform from the keyboard or sequence with.

Here are the rules used in the chord detection:

Root: Detected with the presence of only a single note.
Fifth: Detected with the presence of two notes, the root and the fifth. These can be inverted as well.
Major: Root, M3, 5th. Can be in any inversion.
Minor: Root, m3, 5th. Can be in any inversion.
Major 7: Root, M3 (optional), 5th, M7. Can be in any inversion.
Minor 7: Root, m3 (optional), 5th, m7. Can be in any inversion.
Dominant 7: Root, M3, 5th, m7 (dominant 7). Can be in any inversion.
Dominant 7 Alt: Root, M3, 5th, m7 (dominant 7), and either a flat or sharp 9th. Should be in root position for best detection.
Diminished: Root, m3 (optional), flat 5th. Because this is a symmetrically-shaped chord, while it can be in any inversion, it detects the root from the lowest note.
Half-Diminished: Root, m3 (optional), flat 5th, m7. Can be in any inversion. Bear in mind that if you play a minor 6 chord, it will recognize it as being a half-diminished from a different root. (i.e. Cm6 = A half-dim)
Suspended: Root, 2nd/4th, 5th. Only in root position (no inversions).

By the way, I'm coming up with an interesting workaround that simplifies the whole chord system. Besides being able to access more complex chords, it also uses different voicings for the chords based on the fretting position.
benjaminfrog wrote: 2. Is it possible to define what combination of notes trigger a particular chord definition? A, D, G (played in that order from lowest to highest) triggers an Am chord as opposed to a Dsus4, a Gsus2 or an A7sus4 (no 5th). This doesn't make sense to me as there is neither a D nor a G in Am.
All the chords and their inversions that are sensed are built-in. Of course, there's a lot of gray area once inversions are brought into the picture. For example, C-E-G-A could be detected as a Cmaj6 chord OR an Amin7 in 1st inversion. Generally what the script does is look for the root first, and then check the 5th and the 3rd. Occasionally assumptions are made--for example, if you only play the root and the minor 3rd, it will assume a minor chord, even if a fifth isn't present.
benjaminfrog wrote: 3. If I modify a default chord definition will the release setting in preferences respond accordingly? This does not seem to be the case. I changed the voicing for D major to include the open A string, but that note does not sustain when I pull my hand off the keyboard even when release is set to "open".
It might have to do with how the chord is released--it might be switching to a different chord voicing while you're releasing notes. Are you sequencing with it, or playing it live?
benjaminfrog wrote: 4. Is it possible to bypass chord definitions altogether and just strum whatever notes you play in the chord detection zone?
Right now only the lead presets allow you to strum ONLY the held notes. Of course, the strum keys for the lead presets are pretty basic compared to the options that the rhythm patches offer. However, in the update (which combines the lead and rhythm elements into a single cohesive patch) I'm making it so that you can enable or disable auto chord detection.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks for the detailed response, Greg. Regarding the question in your response to number three, I noticed this when playing live.

Looking forward to the update. Sounds like there are going to be some pretty cool changes. Is there a tentative release date? How much will the upgrade cost?

Thanks,
Ben

benjaminfrog wrote: Looking forward to the update. Sounds like there are going to be some pretty cool changes. Is there a tentative release date? How much will the upgrade cost?
Update is absolutely free. As for a tentative release date, apart from the strumming engine and a few odds and ends, it's close to beta. Hopefully it's only a matter of a few weeks.

In fact, I just posted a screenshot from the interface on the Orange Tree Samples Facebook page, so check it out!
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Hey Greg,

Don't want to bug you but any closer to an even 'loose' date yet? )

Cheers
This isn't what you think.

Edit, sorry, never mind - just seen the Facebook, )
This isn't what you think.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”