Help w SLIDE on Acoustic

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all...newb..

Just bought OTree Acoustic and like it.

However, i am having issues w SLIDE feature. I assign the Controller to a Footswitch w LEARN tab. When i turn it ON and use it, it sounds VERY fake and "midi-zipper" like as if its EMULATED vs sampled...is this just how it is? if so i cant use it. just wondering, as the rest of it is the BEST Acoustic VSTi avail, but this feature seems diff and phony....please tell me its just that i havent set it up correctly? :-o

Only editing Param's i found for it is the Controller Assign ... is there somewhere else to edit - tweak it?

For ex: the Indignous VSTi's Slide sounds the way i want [like a SAMPLED slide] it (but the Main Inst is lacking).

Is there any way to VELOCITY trigger the Slide FX ?

One thing that might help with the slides is increasing the amount of sympathetic resonance. The velocity of the note changes the speed of the slide, which is the advantage of using scripted slides versus sample slides (which are also fake in the sense that slides change depending on how long a note is held before you slide). If you send me an MP3 of the slides, that might also give me ideas for more suggestions on how you can get them sound more realistic.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

thanks Greg. I'll try that.

is there another edit area for it? on webpage it says it can slide between any notes ?

Is there a way to tie it to Velocity (so Slides only occur at certian Velocity hits-ie, a hard hit)?

i'll send you a email w mp3 of Indignous Slide and mine in Otree Acoustic. Indignous is not a Pro grade unit, but the way the slide sounds is nice for what i do *but too lo-fi, so i cant use it.

-----

Just Bought your Passion Flute too.

....VINTAGE Elec Bass: please consider sampling like a orig style (passive vs active ) Jazz Bass or Rickenbacher--> Tube DI/Pre (Transformers and Tubes , No ICs or Transistors)--> DAC @ 24-48k.

I have NI Scarbee basses, and they are 2-D sounding (they are 16bit and using active ckt or DIs w SState). I know your basses are better , but need a Vintage, Fretted, [ie, not after 1970 and not Acoustic Bass] w no Solid State prior to the DAC, sampled at 24-48k. For that Soft but Firm Woody tone (ex: Beatles 67-68, Doors same era, Bob Marley early 70's). Theres poss a market for it, since NI is not that good, and Sonivox either..Only makers of RETRO bass VI's i know of (Trillian is more modern)

thanks

billzoe wrote:is there another edit area for it? on webpage it says it can slide between any notes ?
Yeah--it all depends on the legato/string settings. Essentially you have to make sure that the target note gets played on the same string, which insures that the legato will kick in as opposed to playing the note on a different string.
billzoe wrote: Is there a way to tie it to Velocity (so Slides only occur at certian Velocity hits-ie, a hard hit)?
Yes, if you make a layer triggered by a high velocity, which affects the necessary legato/string settings. If you want, I can create a patch set up like this for you.
billzoe wrote:i'll send you a email w mp3 of Indignous Slide and mine in Otree Acoustic. Indignous is not a Pro grade unit, but the way the slide sounds is nice for what i do *but too lo-fi, so i cant use it.
That'd be great, thanks!

There's an upcoming free update for both the electric and acoustic guitars (it's in beta right now), which has a much easier to use all-new interface. It definitely makes things like slides a lot more intuitive to play/sequence.
billzoe wrote:....VINTAGE Elec Bass: please consider sampling like a orig style (passive vs active ) Jazz Bass or Rickenbacher--> Tube DI/Pre (Transformers and Tubes , No ICs or Transistors)--> DAC @ 24-48k.
It's funny that you mention it, because I actually do have a Rickenbacker bass library planned--the bass is right here waiting to be sampled. :)
billzoe wrote:I have NI Scarbee basses, and they are 2-D sounding (they are 16bit and using active ckt or DIs w SState). I know your basses are better , but need a Vintage, Fretted, [ie, not after 1970 and not Acoustic Bass] w no Solid State prior to the DAC, sampled at 24-48k. For that Soft but Firm Woody tone (ex: Beatles 67-68, Doors same era, Bob Marley early 70's). Theres poss a market for it, since NI is not that good, and Sonivox either..Only makers of RETRO bass VI's i know of (Trillian is more modern)
Besides the obvious tube DI/pre, there are other elements that are important to capture that sound, such as using the Rickenbacker's bridge mute like Paul McCartney used post 1965. Then there's also playing it with a pick versus fingered. Engineers back then preferred the bassists to use picks, for the extra definition, so that's another element to the tone that's also important to capture.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Thanks for the Help !

I'll try it out.

Yes...on the Rick Bass ! Would you do a version of it in the Retro Styles we discussed (vs a reg DI, Not Picked , etc) ? That would be GREAT !

If it was done this way and picked , bridge mute, etc, (love the tight pick sound WHEN tubed) that would provide users w HQ Source vs trying to make a modern sounding sample base sound retro. User could add other "old" FX in Post (Tape, Compression, etc).

Thanks again :P

I think I'll probably need to do a modern Rickenbacker as well as a vintage Rickenbacker library. The electronics are different in the older Rickenbackers, so they're not as bass-y and even more nasally than the new ones. And then it'd be important to sample it with and without a pick, with and without a mute, etc.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”