Adding Evolution Guitars "Play mode"

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello OrangeTree. I have a request for Evolution Guitars.

Now, these ignore strings. Slide and legato can be played between two strings and more than two notes can be played with one string.
Other OrangeTree libraries(Angelic Chime, Paradise Marimba) have "Play Mode" option which allow users to select "keyboard" or each instrument" mode. Please add this option evolution guitars.

We have a note in our list of improvements to add the "monophonic / polyphonic" strings mode into this latest iteration of the Evolution guitar engine, which would enforce the physical restrictions that a real guitar has on how many notes you can play at once.

Of course, that also means you'd have to automate the fretting position if you want to be able to play certain chords or ensure certain phrases don't get played as legato. That was the original reason we switched to the polyphonic string approach: we received too many emails from people asking why certain chords couldn't be played, or why arpeggios were getting played with legato rather than letting the notes overlap. While it allows you to play things that aren't possible, it makes it a lot easier to play from a keyboard or sequence in your piano roll.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Gregjazz wrote:We have a note in our list of improvements to add the "monophonic / polyphonic" strings mode into this latest iteration of the Evolution guitar engine, which would enforce the physical restrictions that a real guitar has on how many notes you can play at once.
This is good to hear. I hope it happens, because two notes occurring simultaneously on the same string is actually the only thing I don't like about the engine.

That was intentionally dumbified for people who are not guitarists by nature. I'm also not fond of that behaviour and it's a bit weird that Greg removed the option in the latest iteration of the engine. But I'm confident he'll reinstate it :)

Yup, it's still on my list of improvements to add. The list is getting pretty long, so I need to focus on getting some of those updates added. :)

The default play mode will be the polyphonic string mode, though, to make it more approachable for non-guitarists.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Still hoping to see this implemented soon. Having both polyphonic and monophonic string modes is obviously the best of both worlds as far as user choice goes.

I'm not a guitarist, but having played live with guitarists and recorded guitarists for so many years, I've become accustomed to the sound, so that almost every time I hear something played back that sounds weird or unrealistic to me, I usually see that it's a polyphonic string issue. There are ways to work around it (like adjusting the fret position for example), but that can be tedious and sometimes causes unwanted changes elsewhere in the performance.

Yes, the feature is still on the list of improvements to add. :)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”