!Epoch, for the next 4 years

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

firepile wrote:
bungle wrote:I really hope this is cheap, because it passed relevance a long time ago, like i say, I am already running Euclidean sequencers and such as plugins on IOS for £10 (Brambos Rozetta collection)
In its first couple of years this looked immense.
No disrespect mean't here by the way, I own everything by Loomer, but with no audio tracks, no clip launching etc etc, this looks dated already.
Not interested in cheap iToys.
Not interested in closed minded fools that have to act superior. iToys FFS !!!!
Duh

Daags wrote:this won't be released in 2017.

Daags wrote:
Still plenty of time

woggle wrote:
Daags wrote:
Still plenty of time
if only that time had no context. like, oh, say if it wasn't the christmas holidays. and please spare me the 'oh, but coding is a great excuse to get a break from the family' spiel.

the odds of it being close enough to release, but just needing the amount of tweaking that could be done between christmas day and new years day, is slim. and positively microscopic when you consider the history of the development.

the realms of possibility have to take a back seat to probability.

woggle wrote:
Daags wrote:
Still plenty of time
A beta was promised before New Year's Eve 2013. Four years later and still nothing. I very much doubt it will be released this year. :roll:

This quote, which catalogued a snippet of Loomer quotes across a timeline, should probably be re-posted once per page of this thread, going forward. Just to keep ourselves grounded in reality. Lest we find ourselves saying things like 'Still plenty of time' (to be released in 2017).... plenty of time ... :roll: :lol:

atukao wrote:
colin@loomer wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:36 pm
Tell me about it, I can't believe it's mid-March already: at the beginning of the year, I would have happily bet money on the new product being out by now too! Seems I'm much better at coding audio software than estimating timescales.
Soon, my eager followers, soon... ! ;)
( We're on the cusp of having the beta feature list locked down: when this milestone is reached, and the final UI polish is complete, all shall be revealed. )

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:01 pm
Aiming for a public beta this year; we're definitely on the home straight now. I'm working my way through the a short list of outstanding development; unfortunately, I'm also adding to it each time someone suggests a good idea!

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:19 pm
So we're now feature complete and onto final polish and usability testing. Not long now, my patient followers, not long at all!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:51 pm
'fraid so. With the best will in the world, the chances of this getting to beta over the Christmas period is pretty slim. So 2013 it is.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:34 pm
I wouldn't like to narrow the release down to anything more accurate than early 2013. It's feature complete in terms of being ready for a beta release, but there is still tidying and improving happening; lots of little tweaks, rather than any grand renovations.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:32 pm
Yes: I'm still aiming to get a public build out sometime before the chimes of midnight on January 1st 2014 (and I'm hoping that I don't cut it so close as to still be coding on New Year's Eve!)

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:15 am
I'm aiming hard to still get it to you this year, and I sincerely hope to get it out this year. It's looking likely: the feature set is more or less locked in for version 1, and so a 2014 release is probable.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:44 pm
Thanks. I'm on the home-straight now; I'm confident that I'll have something for you all before the end of the year. I would say, "if not sooner", but I think that'd really be tempting fate.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:03 pm
It's looking likely that I'll have a beta by the end of this year or thereabouts, and then aim for a 1.0 release for some point in early 2015.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:05 am
It's all bug fixing and usability tidying now - no more feature development for v1 - so things are really looking good for getting it launched.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:35 pm
Thanks all for your continuing patience and support in this matter: I can confidently say, 100%, no excuses, early 2015 will see this in all of your eager hands!

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:02 am
Still aiming for soon, and I can't see it slipping into 2016: there simply isn't much left to do,

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:03 am
Long before that, my eager pals. By the summer, you'll all be nagging me for version 1.3, I hope.

Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:48 am
So close, you can taste it. I must admit, I didn't hit the coding as much as would have liked over the Christmas break, but I'm back on it full-time now, very refreshed, and ready to fix those last issues!

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:38 pm
Aiming to release within the next couple of months. Admittedly I'm terrible at deadlines, but by sheer virtue of having little left to polish to get this ready for public consumption, I'm confident.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:13 am
At the beginning of the year I totted up the outstanding work, and based on this I'd have estimated completion at the end of February. A few other things - minor omissions that slipped off the development radar - have cropped up in the interim, and so have pushed the date back accordingly, so yes, next few months, March or April, seems likely.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:52 am
Thankfully, Zeno's paradox fails when one accounts for the summation of infinite series, hence Achilles (me) will catch the turtle (release this year.)

So what?
Thats how creative projects develop sometimes.
I have one myself that similarly defies expectations :ud:
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

I'm afraid it is looking very unlikely to get it out this year. I had every intention of pushing through the Christmas break to get it finished, but in the end I decided that exhausting myself to hit an ultimately arbitrary date just wasn't sensible.

Thank you again for all the emails of support I've continued to have about this project. I understand people are frustrated waiting; but one the other hand, the majority of people seem to understand that creative ventures take time.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

what is !Epoch , i've seen many time people talking about it...but i don't know what it is...someone tell me ?

Epoch was a previous name for the project, but one which clashed with an existing plug-in. The '!' prefix was a programmer's joke meaning 'not Epoch', which the project continued to be referred to until the actual name, Architect, was spotted.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

yeah but what is this project ? a vst ? what kind ?

edit : okay i got it.
It's domain specific: Epoch focuses entirely on MIDI and sequencing, and doesn't generate audio signals at all (other than via hosted plug-ins.) The preview screenshot may only show one portion of the interface, but I can assure you there's a lot more to it than a Reaktor-wannabe.

Ah sorry, I thought you meant the name.

It's a modular sequencing toolkit. Essentially, it's a visual programming language for building things that generate MIDI. You build your patch from a palette of some 300-odd modules, of which there are some high-level ones, such as X0X-style sequencers and arpeggiators, and low-level ones, such as bitwise operators and trigonometric functions. Modules can be grouped together into reusable macros, which can be shared. (Technically, modules themselves can also be reused and shared if you've applied certain settings you want to return to. I have, for example, a library of differently styled widget modules that I can quickly drop in when I want to build an interface with a certain style.) You can also script it with Lua, although it's flexible enough that you needn't go down that route if you prefer to program entirely with the visual language.

It has an arranger where you can arrange your composition. You can play it live by triggering patterns, etc, using a mapping system where you can route controllers to practically anything. You can build a fancy dashboard so that only specific widgets for your patch are visible. Shared macros can also export a UI, so you can just drop them in and be ready to tweak.

It also hosts other plug-ins and has a flexible mixer for routing plug-in input and output, including MIDI, between channels and other plug-ins. Or it can output MIDI data directly. Or write either audio or MIDI to a pool, from which you can drag and drop directly into your host or export as independent files.

It runs as an audio plugin, a MIDI plugin, or as a standalone application.

it seems interesting , when will it be released ? you have an idea ?

It's essentially a few steps from being a full fledged DAW. A one man DAW :clap:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

If only it was 'just' a DAW. It's (nearly) a DAW, plus a visual programming language, plus a lock-free realtime virtual machine, plus a UI designer a la adobe XD, etc. How I envy those lucky DAW developers!

Return to “Loomer”