High cpu load with shreddage 2

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all.
I use fl studio 11 as sequencer.
My cpu is Intel I5 661 3.33 ghz with 16mb ram.
Usually,for my songs I use 2 instances of Kontakt\Shreddage,1 for leads and 1 for rhythm,quadtracked,for a total of 8 channels in Fl Studio mixer.For every channel I use the following stuff:TSE X 50 (ampsim),Poulin Le Cab 2 (IR LOADER) and TSE 808 (a tube screamer).
In addition to this,I also use a vst bass and SSD 4 for drums and percussions.
On the master channel the following plugins:
voxengo curve eq
PuigTec eqP1a
FabFilter Saturn
Izotope Ozone 5 dynamics
Izotope Ozone 5 imager

then,I use asio4all with 2048 buffer length and other settings suggested by ImageLine to reduce cpu load and ram usage.
I know this sequencer is not light compared to many others but is it normal to have crackling\popping every time with 6 instances only of Kontakt?
:x :x :x

Wow, that's a lot!
What happens when you bypass all instances of Izotope?
Also, consider freezing/bouncing vsti tracks such as drums, bass, etc.

hi Bijerome.Sorry,I was wrong,I usually use 4 instances of Kontakt,not 6.2 for shreddage (1for leads,1 for rhythm),1 for vst bass and 1 for drums.Also I would like to point out that TSE X 50 and TSE 808,each of two (free plugins),aren't cpu friendly even with high performances option disabled... :?
if I bypass ozone dynamics and imager in the master channel,the situation is not getting any better,the cpu load goes mad (from 55\56% to 99%),while ram usage is quite low (1543)...

The S2 script is not too intensive as far as Kontakt instruments go... if you have RAM to spare however, you might consider increasing Kontakt's RAM preload size. My understanding is that more disk streaming (i.e. less RAM usage) tends to use more CPU. You should also (in your DAW) make sure multi-core processing is enabled where possible.

It would also be good to check your CPU usage with NO other fx (etc) other than Kontakt and see what that does. I'd like to figure out exactly where the usage is coming from.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

It also begs to ask, why would you be using ASIO4ALL?
You should use the native asio driver for your interface.

Ugh... TX-50. I use X30 for saving cpu and finding tone, but I doubt Shreddage 1/X needs a screamer pedal. I also know that GR's screamer pedal takes up 3% of my cpu (stereo) while 808 takes up 20%+.

Man, I wish I had an i5 (Currently i3) and 16gb ram (currently 6gb).
I know Ozone is an absolute CPU monster for me.

But I loaded 6 instances of Shreddage just to do it and my CPU was fine without effects.

I use asio4all cause It seems there are some troubles with asio native drivers of my soundcard (ESI MAYA 44) and Fl Studio,I have to figure out how to solve this annoying problem.
For now I've bypassed all fx on the master channel and TSE X 50\tube screamer on other channels and the cpu load goes from about 30% to 40%.
On Kontakt options page I see that 4 cores\multiprocessor vst-plugin is enabled and instrument preload buffer size is set to 60 kb.What is an ideal value of preload?
Ah yes FaytxStay,probably at this point I have to say that most of the cpu load is caused by X50\808,but Tse x 50 is one of the best sounding ampsims in my opinion,so I would like to use it even in the future.

Have any demos using it? (TSE-X50)
I'd love to hear it to compare to my own.

UPDATE: x50 2.0 just came out!
http://www.tseaudio.com/software/x50v2
Last edited by FaytxStay on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Changing the buffer size in FL and tweaking other settings on the Audio Settings page can influence things as well, plus Kontakt has a multicore processing option that may help.

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

FaytxStay wrote:Have any demos using it? (TSE-X50)
I'd love to hear it to compare to my own.

UPDATE: x50 2.0 just came out!
http://www.tseaudio.com/software/x50v2
i tried the demo of the new tsx 50 with my guitars (and not yet with shreddage 2),personally I think it's less fizzy than the old one and with a fuller tone on mid and bass.Great ampsim!

thanks for the suggestions!

BTW, I just wrote an article today about optimizing Kontakt... a lot of stuff here may be relevant to you!

http://impactsoundworks.com/optimizing- ... ow-part-2/

Thanks for the guide Zircon,I've found it much interesting,especially the 2nd part.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”