Shreddage 2 - metal track, how does it sound?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

here's a little song I wrote to test Shreddage 2 in a mix, together with Shreddage Bass. I got interesting feedback, ranging from "awful, sounds like Guitar Rig" or "sounds programmed" to "wow, cool sound" or "not bad at all".

Now I'm confused, so I am looking for more input :)

Here's the track:
http://soundcloud.com/sting-floyd/mixdown2-1

Sounds pretty good. It only sounds programmed because every note is perfectly timed. Try moving the notes for both the drums and guitar every so slightly off tempo.

Thanks for your feedback! Here's a different version with slightly humanized note positions
http://soundcloud.com/sting-floyd/mixdown2

Sounds much better!

This is pretty freaking good dude.
Cockos Reaper | VSTi Metal | Vocal Synths | Shreddage 2 Fanboy | VSTi Guitar Enthusiast

Currently writing a Vocaloid EP.
youtube.com/user/darkflamesquirrel

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

That sounds really good man, like REALLY good. Any advice on how you got your guitar tones as well as how you humanized the playing?

Thanks a lot, glad you like it!

Here's the setup:
Cubase 7.5
Shreddage 2 with 4 outputs, so I used quad tracking and panned 2 channels hard left and right and 2 channels at 75% with -3 dB
Revalver 4: Hard panned channels used Flathill (Rectifier sim), the other channels used Engl sim
MIDI tracks in Cubase had a MIDI modifier with a random range of -1 to 0 for note positions. Used -10 to 10 first but that led to some dropouts.

I use cubase 7.5 as well. How do you use a modifier to humanize it? That sounds REALLY useful lol, and Ive been trying to figure it out for a while. I feel like its right under my nose and I'm missing it.

Side note: On your clean tone, I can't seem to make a good clean tone, any advice? I can get a decent sounding distorted tone but cleans elude me.

Hope the screenshot explains what I did. Sorry, my Cubase is in German language only :) "Zufall" means "random", that should be the term used in English language version of Cubase.

As for the clean tone I used the Kemper Profiling Amp with one of Ola Englund's clean profiles. Basically it's just clean tone with some reverb and delay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks for the reply man. Apparently Ive been looking everywhere but the right place.

I had some issues with droppouts even at -3, 3. is -1,0 enough to make it sound human?

-1 and 0 looks like it's nothing, but apparently it works - got very positive feedback since then :) Plus, Shreddage 2's internal quadtracking helps as well to make it sound more human.

As others here have said, it sounds quite good. :) The melody is nice and catchy, and actually reminded me of a short melody from the Angel Island Act 2 music in Sonic Advance (yay nostalgia).
Primary instrument: Keyboards

Synthoridity wrote:As others here have said, it sounds quite good. :) The melody is nice and catchy, and actually reminded me of a short melody from the Angel Island Act 2 music in Sonic Advance (yay nostalgia).
I was thinking the same but thought hardly anyone ever played the Sonic Advance games! Awesome! (I'm obsessed, please excuse me.)
Cockos Reaper | VSTi Metal | Vocal Synths | Shreddage 2 Fanboy | VSTi Guitar Enthusiast

Currently writing a Vocaloid EP.
youtube.com/user/darkflamesquirrel

Return to “Impact Soundworks”