Question: comparison with other audio editors

Official support for: acondigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stian wrote:I'm not even sure if there's such a thing as a Scandinavian design philosophy except for furniture... :)
Well, when I consider Acoustica, I think, "maybe there ought to be, actually..." :hihi: 8)
DuX wrote:And yes, the GUI is organised incredibly well. :tu:
Sure! :) :wink:

I think the big elephant in the room in terms of competitors to Acoustica is actually iZotope RX 6 Standard. Before this latest version, I'm not sure it was really there. And it's probably the case that RX is still the better choice if you really are doing hard-core restoration work all day long (or post-production for film, though in that case, you might be using some crazy thing like CEDAR).

But this newest version is a very strong competitor to RX, and I suspect the two products will more-or-less match one another in features over time. And I have to say (as someone who works heavily with samples, but only lightly with restoration), Acoustica is probably in the end the better choice. The GUI is more flexible, the metering is way more useful for people doing more ordinary audio/music stuff, and the price is obviously better (though I don't care about that so much). It's also got some really well-thought-out stock effects.

And truth be told, I am about to stop using RX and switch to Acoustica because of one thing that Acoustica does that RX seems incapable of (unless I'm just missing it). With Acoustica, you can load up a plugin chain and start twisting dials *while it loops over the audio*. That, for me, is huge. It's the one thing I most want to do with an audio editor, because I like to experiment with various pre-amp and tape emulations when I'm getting sounds ready for a mix.

It's really, really awesome stuff. I think Acon should be proud to be giving a powerhouse juggernaut of a shop like iZotope a run for its money.

Hi!
sramsay wrote:I think the big elephant in the room in terms of competitors to Acoustica is actually iZotope RX 6 Standard. Before this latest version, I'm not sure it was really there. And it's probably the case that RX is still the better choice if you really are doing hard-core restoration work all day long (or post-production for film, though in that case, you might be using some crazy thing like CEDAR).

But this newest version is a very strong competitor to RX, and I suspect the two products will more-or-less match one another in features over time. And I have to say (as someone who works heavily with samples, but only lightly with restoration), Acoustica is probably in the end the better choice. The GUI is more flexible, the metering is way more useful for people doing more ordinary audio/music stuff, and the price is obviously better (though I don't care about that so much). It's also got some really well-thought-out stock effects.

And truth be told, I am about to stop using RX and switch to Acoustica because of one thing that Acoustica does that RX seems incapable of (unless I'm just missing it). With Acoustica, you can load up a plugin chain and start twisting dials *while it loops over the audio*. That, for me, is huge. It's the one thing I most want to do with an audio editor, because I like to experiment with various pre-amp and tape emulations when I'm getting sounds ready for a mix.
Thanks, I'm very glad to hear this! Combining editing, mastering and restoration tools in a fluid UI was a strong focus when designing Acoustica 7.
sramsay wrote:It's really, really awesome stuff. I think Acon should be proud to be giving a powerhouse juggernaut of a shop like iZotope a run for its money.
Thanks again for the kind words! We're only at the begin of the journey and the future is looking bright for Acoustica.

Best,
Stian

Thanks again for the kind words! We're only at the begin of the journey and the future is looking bright for Acoustica.
Oh, and the developer is super responsive, which is not something the big development shops are known for! :)

sramsay wrote:
Oh, and the developer is super responsive, which is not something the big development shops are known for! :)
Very much agreed. I've been reading over this subforum for a while, and I demoed Acoustica. It was pretty clear that I liked its approach and UI over RX6 standard for doing audio restoration. The quick responsiveness of Stian answering my questions over email as well are also a huge bonus.

Now I'm just (impatiently) waiting and watching closely to see if Acoustica Premium goes on sale at some point. :D

Tappistry wrote:Very much agreed. I've been reading over this subforum for a while, and I demoed Acoustica. It was pretty clear that I liked its approach and UI over RX6 standard for doing audio restoration. The quick responsiveness of Stian answering my questions over email as well are also a huge bonus.

Now I'm just (impatiently) waiting and watching closely to see if Acoustica Premium goes on sale at some point. :D
Thanks for the kind words!

Best,
Stian

Return to “Acon Digital”