What's with the crickets?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Spitfire31 wrote:I hope that T5 will automatically create new Takes when loop recording MIDI!

Paired with a clever Take comping feature.

That's what I need as a less than mediocre keyboard player. ;-)

And that's what I've been nagging MOTU about, but to no avail. Yet, that is.

Please consider it!

/Joachim
That's a good idea. But why just for MIDI?

Stuttaton wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:I hope that T5 will automatically create new Takes when loop recording MIDI!

Paired with a clever Take comping feature.

That's what I need as a less than mediocre keyboard player. ;-)

And that's what I've been nagging MOTU about, but to no avail. Yet, that is.

Please consider it!

/Joachim
That's a good idea. But why just for MIDI?
Ah! Sorry, just my selfish ways, I guess… :-D

Since my main audio recording DAW, MOTU DP, already has this loop recording/take generation/comping feature for audio, I've been focused on getting the same for MIDI. Since MOTU doesn't seem inclined to add it to DP.

In DP, when loop recording MIDI, it can only merge additional MIDI events, not create new takes. An odd omission.

But of course it would be great if T5 could include loop recording/take comping for audio as well.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

frankvg wrote:
bungle wrote: right now it is one of the worst apps around unless you simply can not use anything else
Don't think that is quite fair.
Well without seeming too harsh here, name one app that is worse in the same price range ?
Because right now the cheap version of most of the other apps absolutely crucify Tracktion in terms of features and workflow (No matter how much you try to pretend that Tracktion still has a fast workflow, it doesn't, everybody caught up overtook and started laughing)
The things that Tracktion once had as "Unique" are now old hat or just frowned upon in terms of usability, and unfortunately for you guys, you have openly admitted that you are trying to write T5 on top of the very very poor T3/4 package that currently exists.
You have been picked up by Behringer for their hardware and lets be perfectly straight here, Behringer do not licence anything to ship with their hardware that has any substance at all, but has to be very very basic and easy for beginners to use.
That is great for your company in terms of survival but it is not a route that will interest even the tiniest of percentage of Tracktions original users, we have all moved on to better/faster current apps that have better tools on hand and much better workflow.

Some issues i see so far

1 Overwhelmingly people i speak to about T reply "Yeah i upgraded cause Jules used to be cool, The app is useless"

2 Hints at "Great bundles" have come from you in the past, immediate thoughts "Oh crap they are doing the Mackie thing "Hey the app is sh*te but you get these plugins free" please learn a lesson here (A hint - people buy the plugins they want, funnily enough exactly the idea behind plugins)

3 Your updates have not been very quick and your idea of marketing was seriously poor, your choice to push T4 as a release and then keep stating "Hey the codebase is old, we are trying our best" sorry but that is very poor, alternative was to not mention it and release what you will now release as T5 as T4, you have generated no hype whatsoever truth be told, and if anything you have harmed Jules once impeccable reputation (Lets not forget that Jules was known for fast updates as much as Jorgen and look at Jorgens reputation now that he has stopped)

4 T5 will be a paid release once again right ? some people are already questioning why they should pay for an upgrade to an upgrade that wasn't actually an upgrade

5 You now have Reaper to contend with and lets not kid about here, in the lower end it has completely destroyed the market, on top of that it has a community you just cant compete with.

6 Smaller versions of S1 are constantly on sale everywhere, it has something of similar one screen interface (Not quite but enough to have garnered a bunch of old users)

7 You are trying to exist in a time where a couple of ultra modern DAWs are being released (OHM, Bitwig) these are in their infancy but are light years ahead of Tracktion

I would really love T to be a choice i could jump on, but and i am being sincere here, I personally think that you have much more chance surviving as an extremely basic easy beginners app for shipping with kit like the Behringer deal
If you try to step beyond that you have too many competitors that are way too far ahead in terms of features/configurability/usability/user base, unless that is you do something daring and i doubt very much that is on the cards ;)
Duh

bungle wrote:
frankvg wrote:
bungle wrote: right now it is one of the worst apps around unless you simply can not use anything else
Don't think that is quite fair.
Well without seeming too harsh here, name one app that is worse in the same price range ?
Because right now the cheap version of most of the other apps absolutely crucify Tracktion in terms of features and workflow (No matter how much you try to pretend that Tracktion still has a fast workflow, it doesn't, everybody caught up overtook and started laughing)
The things that Tracktion once had as "Unique" are now old hat or just frowned upon in terms of usability, and unfortunately for you guys, you have openly admitted that you are trying to write T5 on top of the very very poor T3/4 package that currently exists.
You have been picked up by Behringer for their hardware and lets be perfectly straight here, Behringer do not licence anything to ship with their hardware that has any substance at all, but has to be very very basic and easy for beginners to use.
That is great for your company in terms of survival but it is not a route that will interest even the tiniest of percentage of Tracktions original users, we have all moved on to better/faster current apps that have better tools on hand and much better workflow.

Some issues i see so far

1 Overwhelmingly people i speak to about T reply "Yeah i upgraded cause Jules used to be cool, The app is useless"

2 Hints at "Great bundles" have come from you in the past, immediate thoughts "Oh crap they are doing the Mackie thing "Hey the app is sh*te but you get these plugins free" please learn a lesson here (A hint - people buy the plugins they want, funnily enough exactly the idea behind plugins)

3 Your updates have not been very quick and your idea of marketing was seriously poor, your choice to push T4 as a release and then keep stating "Hey the codebase is old, we are trying our best" sorry but that is very poor, alternative was to not mention it and release what you will now release as T5 as T4, you have generated no hype whatsoever truth be told, and if anything you have harmed Jules once impeccable reputation (Lets not forget that Jules was known for fast updates as much as Jorgen and look at Jorgens reputation now that he has stopped)

4 T5 will be a paid release once again right ? some people are already questioning why they should pay for an upgrade to an upgrade that wasn't actually an upgrade

5 You now have Reaper to contend with and lets not kid about here, in the lower end it has completely destroyed the market, on top of that it has a community you just cant compete with.

6 Smaller versions of S1 are constantly on sale everywhere, it has something of similar one screen interface (Not quite but enough to have garnered a bunch of old users)

7 You are trying to exist in a time where a couple of ultra modern DAWs are being released (OHM, Bitwig) these are in their infancy but are light years ahead of Tracktion

I would really love T to be a choice i could jump on, but and i am being sincere here, I personally think that you have much more chance surviving as an extremely basic easy beginners app for shipping with kit like the Behringer deal
If you try to step beyond that you have too many competitors that are way too far ahead in terms of features/configurability/usability/user base, unless that is you do something daring and i doubt very much that is on the cards ;)
You don't seem to have listed even one feature that other apps have that you say "crucify" tracktion. Or anything of any substance really, just blah blah blah, i say this is true.

I've also apparently missed Bitwig being released. Where do I get a copy?

Great having you around though, really cheers the place up.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Hi Bungle,

Do you think your music making skill changes with the DAW you use ?
I play music with "top" DAW (Logic, Ableton, Reaper, Studio one ...).
These are sometimes disturbing because they offer too many features and sometimes I'm lost in trying everything and at the end not be efficent.

Sometimes, less is more as you are not disturbed by bullshit features which let you know it will make you better at music making or make music for you even if you have no skill.

I admit Tracktion needs some improvements, we just need to be patient, T5 is on the way.

LOL - how wonderfully disconnected from the business end people can be....

There are some great DAW's in the making - and we wish them all the best and cherish the competition - especially the new guys that can push the boundaries.

Seats means revenue - we chose to approach Behringer - they are a high volume channel and TBH the gear is very good these days. We are in a strong growth effort.

Revenue means development - having worked at Avid with the ProTools platform, I am keenly aware of how long it takes the big companies to develop - our dev cycles are much more rapid which means more features - its development without the 10 layers of management!

You guys have an opportunity to be part of this - simply tell us what you need for your workflow - telling us that we are shit is just a waste of all our time.... But thats the nature of forums eh! Of course we already have a good idea of what you need so telling us is merely validation - we actually get more excited about the stuff you haven't thought about yet that will really blow your minds.
Tracktion Software Corporation

Fine, if you want to take fair comments as calling you shit, simply because a bunch of fanbois jump in and get all butt hurt, then enjoy, I wont bother you again ;)
Duh

I simply asked you a question - what would make Tracktion first rate for you...? I don;t think you have answered that yet... Still interested.....

bungle wrote:Fine, if you want to take fair comments as calling you shit, simply because a bunch of fanbois jump in and get all butt hurt, then enjoy, I wont bother you again ;)
Ha. To take the vague points you made about alternative daws, bitwig isn't available. Studio 1 pro (the version that supports vsts and au plugins you so rate) costs nearly four times the price of tracktion. Never tried Ohm, you'd have to enlighten me as to its advantages. Reaper I own, have paid for, like bits of, but don't enjoy using as much as I like using tracktion. I could go into detail on why, but I've no real interest in talking it down, it's a good daw, just doesn't suit how I work as well.

Not sure you had any real substance to your fair comments, so yeah, feel free to f**k off till you do
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

don't blame bungle, if he post here i think his is interested in Traktion.
TSC should take into account his remarks in order to improve this soft.

So now, 4.5.2 download is completed, going to try that.

Salut,

I have full faith in the tracktion team and software

dupont wrote:don't blame bungle, if he post here i think his is interested in Traktion.
TSC should take into account his remarks in order to improve this soft.

So now, 4.5.2 download is completed, going to try that.

Salut,
The issue is, he made no points EXCEPT his point about the T4 release as something 'new' does have some merit.

He can claim workflow benefits with other DAW, but those of us that enjoy Tracktion will probably never agree.

Studio1 - you have to pay to get any of your non Studio 1 plugins to work. That is a serious limitation to workflow, IMO! Pay to turn on access to your already paid for plugins. No thank you.

For some the workflow of T's modeless interface will never make sense. Let them buy something else.

The larger concern for TSC should be programs like Mixcraft which have a non-fanboy user base, are reasonably priced, and provide very interesting alternative capabilities (like notation editing, tightly integrated video editing, etc.).

You are right rockstar_not - Mixcraft is very cool - we feel it is a very under rated platform. Its a shame its PC only, although that probably does not hurt them - the majority of the world still runs PC's.

bungle wrote: 1 Overwhelmingly people i speak to about T reply "Yeah i upgraded cause Jules used to be cool, The app is useless"
I upgraded the product because it's the latest version of my absolute favorite DAW which I dumped Ableton Live to return to. By claiming the app is useless is completely ridiculous, and if people are buying the software because of some personal feelings about a coder, well I never looked at it that way. I'm not so sure people are wasting money like that, and if they are well good for jules.
bungle wrote: 2 Hints at "Great bundles" have come from you in the past, immediate thoughts "Oh crap they are doing the Mackie thing "Hey the app is sh*te but you get these plugins free" please learn a lesson here (A hint - people buy the plugins they want, funnily enough exactly the idea behind plugins)
I would agree with this about bundles. If they wanted to include bundles cool but I think it's needlessly excessive.
bungle wrote: 3 Your updates have not been very quick and your idea of marketing was seriously poor, your choice to push T4 as a release and then keep stating "Hey the codebase is old, we are trying our best" sorry but that is very poor, alternative was to not mention it and release what you will now release as T5 as T4, you have generated no hype whatsoever truth be told, and if anything you have harmed Jules once impeccable reputation (Lets not forget that Jules was known for fast updates as much as Jorgen and look at Jorgens reputation now that he has stopped)
They have been very quick, I think you're misunderstanding how things work on the other side of software dev. I am glad that T4 is being worked on, and that it is progressing since T3. I'd rather have it like how it is than waiting until "T5". Matter of fact I haven't had a bug not be fixed so far, that I've requested.
bungle wrote: 4 T5 will be a paid release once again right ? some people are already questioning why they should pay for an upgrade to an upgrade that wasn't actually an upgrade
It's a business so they got the code back so it is an upgrade because now the code is being worked out so that it can run on modern OS's.
bungle wrote: 5 You now have Reaper to contend with and lets not kid about here, in the lower end it has completely destroyed the market, on top of that it has a community you just cant compete with.
Reaper's interface is lesser than tracktion's. The ease of use in Tracktion's interface is more immediate, and more approachable than any I have tried. Why are you even worried about reaper? Who cares?
bungle wrote: 6 Smaller versions of S1 are constantly on sale everywhere, it has something of similar one screen interface (Not quite but enough to have garnered a bunch of old users)
Great, what does this have anything to do with Tracktion?
bungle wrote: 7 You are trying to exist in a time where a couple of ultra modern DAWs are being released (OHM, Bitwig) these are in their infancy but are light years ahead of Tracktion
They aren't trying and they have been working at stabilizing the code and adding new features for T5. You don't even know what they're working on, so this statement is ridiculous and bizarre.
bungle wrote: I would really love T to be a choice i could jump on, but and i am being sincere here, I personally think that you have much more chance surviving as an extremely basic easy beginners app for shipping with kit like the Behringer deal
Wow sounds like you're a veteran at DAW's so why are you wasting your time typing about this? Go use your "advanced ultra modern daws" instead of wasting everyone's time reading cryptic negative toxic comments about software that you "don't believe in". If you have some substantial examples, where are they?

RonC

Return to “Tracktion”