T5 bugs + FRs

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So i have no answer even if i had given my spec.
How can i change the last project opening at the start of Tracktion?
Where is the config file?
Because i am pretty sure it'll solve the problem.

Try {user}/appdata/roaming/traction4/CurrentUserSettings.trksettings

I suspect this is the setting you want
<SETTING name="reloadEdits">
<STRING value="0"/>
</SETTING>

I would avoid directly editing the settings file. If you make a mistake you could corrupt the whole thing.

Launch Tracktion, click on the "Settings" tab then "General Behaviour" page. About 1/3rd of the way down is an orange button labelled "Reload Edits Upon Launch". Make sure this is turned off.

I thought the point was Tracktion wouldn't open because the duff project was loading.
Take a backup.

Ah sorry I must have missed that.

However, If Tracktion fails to load due to an Edit crashing it shouldn't attempt to reload that Edit again on the next launch.

T5 and Bitwig 1.0/1.1 releases aside, the big news in Linux audio for 2014 has undoubtedly been U-he porting all their plugins to Linux! They're in beta atm but they're good enough to convince a number of people to buy them already - they are absolutely top class, I can assure you. All the hype is well justified!

I've just tried a few inc. Zebralette, Diva and Hive 3284 under Tracktion 5.3.16 / Ubuntu 14.04 and they all have the same problem in that the bottom row of controls of the plugin UI is obscured until you resize the window. Not really a showstopper, but annoying enough for me to want to highlight it and see it fixed before 6 - pretty please TSC!

Happy holidays to the Tracktion team and its users!

Thx Ben di Arrows and DrowAudio for trying to helping me.
So editing the tracktion setting is not a problem because i make simply a back up of the file.
By the way my tracktion setting file is about 352 Mo (huge)
So i add problem to open it with simple "bloc notes" wordpad open it but i can't find the entry you specified (have used Ctrl+F)
I have deleted my last project but it's the same behavior.
However if i delete the tracktion setting file tracktion launch but i 'll need to reactivate it again and we are limited on the number of activation as you know.
Also Tracktion 4 as the same behavior strange thing.
I wait for the next update maybe it 'll solve the problem and if no i 'll reinstallit and reactivate it.
Thx again.
I have some other daws so i can work on them but my lovely tracktion miss me ;(
Ps: sorry for my bad English.

Edit:
4 hours after i was looking a movie and suddenly T5 launched by himself Oo.I am pretty sure i had killed the process in the task manager.
So it seems to works now and it was apparently a midi device who was the problem, (but i don't have this midi device a strange name...)
Well i can have my lovely T5 for Christmas running ^^
The only things i have done is to put a zero in the .settings file (but not at the same place suggered)
Thx again both of you.
T4 is always not launching but i don't care.

Edit2: Well same problem :/

Should the bug thread be separate from the "FR" thread? Just kinda seems like the concepts are muddled and ideas/problems are buried within the ambiguity and spontaneity of forum context.

Hi Simon, it is probably best to start a new thread so to keep all this info in the same place and avoid it getting lost with the other BRs/FRs in this sticky.

It sounds like there is a problem with your settings file, it shouldn't be get larger than a few megabytes. If you delete it, when it gets re-created does it grow very large again? If so, could you send a copy to our support (using the support tab from our main website www.tracktion.com) so I can see what may be filling the file up?

Ah ok i was thinking this topic was for bugs.
What is BRs/Frs?
I make a new topic for my problem ;)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE implement a 'mute selected MIDI note/s' feature on the Piano Roll!!!

I tend to improvise MIDI parts on a keyboard to accompany other programmed and/or purely audio parts. Editing these MIDI parts after recording is a necessity for me. Sometimes I might, for example, add a two-handed piano or pad, but be undecided if I want, say, the left-hand in a different sound, or maybe I'll want to try missing a few over-egged moments. Muting a few MIDI notes is a great way to non-destructively try some of these things, but at the moment Tracktion provides no obvious way to do this. It's a feature I've seen in every other MIDI-capable DAW, so please add it! Tracktion is pretty much unusable for me without it! :(
Mac Mini (late 2011, dual i5 2.3GHz/8GB 1333/OS X 10.9 Mavericks); Harrison Mixbus/Logic Express 9/Tracktion 6; Allen & Heath Zed R16 over FW

I am having a plroblem with Tracktion 5 andf my drum program EZdrummer 2. The program worked fine for the first day after I installed it and the next day when I loged in to do some midi editing the porogram had stopped working. I could get the GUI up in T5 but it would not let me make any edits or drag and drop the midi files to a track. I have the same propblem with DrumCore as well. The stand alone part of EXdrummer works just fine though. Does anyone haved any suggestion s as to how to fix this problem?

So, having fooled around a bit with the T4 and 5 demos over the last couple of months, yesterday I updated my T3 licence and today I recorded my first music with Tracktion since switching to Reaper 5 years ago.

I liked the experience! :) Good to see Tracktion return and to see it develop so quickly. What I like most about the new T is the comping function which is quick and elegant. The Melodyne integration is working great for me as well, although I'm not sure I'm going to use it much. The step editor looks promising and I'd love to see it refined in the future (hint: you might wanna take a look at Reaper's Superbaby for inspiration.)

I have one bug report and a couple of feature requests:

Bug:
- If you select a few clips to consolidate/glue/render them and you choose 'render selected clips', the 'pass through filters' option in the dialog doesn't work. It doesn't matter if you select or unselect it the rendered clip will have the filters applied, unless you deactivate the filter first. That's annoying when all you want to do is consolidate a few split clips. (on OS X 10.9 with latest T5)

Feature Requests:
- I'm still as annoyed with the lack of count-in when going into loop recording as I was five years ago. And searching through old posts here I realize I am not the only one. The fact that you cannot play audio outside of the loop area when the loop option is on is probably related to that. Pleeeaase change/fix that :pray: . To me that's at least a semi-bug... and a really old one.

- Another old annoyance: When I split a clip both resulting new clips get selected. I can't think of one case where that has been the right thing for me. Almost always what I want to do after splitting a clip is to drag/copy/duplicate _one_ of the resulting new clips. To do that I always have to click somewhere else first release the mouse and click again. Over the years this must have been a million superfluous mouse clicks. Again: Pleeease... with sugar :)

- I do like the marker/region combination thingy but creating markers has become too difficult since v3. I loved being able to hit control+number to quickly create a marker and I never use more than 9 markers per edit. Others might need more, so I understand some of the reasoning behind the 'new' system, but imho T needs a way to create markers more easily.

- I've gotten so used to be able to lasso select using the right mouse button. An option for that wouldn't be hard to do, would it?

- Also, it would be cool to be able to double click on a marker region to select all clips on all tracks within that region and to cut all overlapping clips before copying/dragging everything.

- Now with the option to have multiple edits open, I think we need a way to go to the next/previous tabs, exactly like in a web browser.

- An awesome feature would be an optional 'record during count-in' option. This could speed up the process of combined recording and arranging a lot, because one wouldn't need to record an extra bar to prevent the DAW from possibly truncating a slightly early transient or a pickup. Combined with the possibility to have a -1 bar this would make for much easier arranging on the beats/bars timeline. The way it's now, I always have to start my songs at bar 1 so bar 16 becomes bar 17 and so on.

Some UI stuff:

- The button to show/hide the browser should be where the other show/hide buttons are. Not a big deal, since I have my keystrokes for that but UI-wise I don't think the current layout makes much sense.

- Another user has already mentioned visual feedback when saving an edit. I second that.

- Sometimes I hit a key I didn't intend to hit and I don't know if I've screwed something up by doing that. If I had a way of seeing the last action I would know whether to hit undo or not. The easy solution would be a tooltip showing the last action when hovering over the undo button.

That's all for now 8) I wish you all a great successful 2015!

Axl

Axl wrote:So, having fooled around a bit with the T4 and 5 demos over the last couple of months, yesterday I updated my T3 licence and today I recorded my first music with Tracktion since switching to Reaper 5 years ago.

I liked the experience! :) Good to see Tracktion return and to see it develop so quickly. What I like most about the new T is the comping function which is quick and elegant. The Melodyne integration is working great for me as well, although I'm not sure I'm going to use it much. The step editor looks promising and I'd love to see it refined in the future (hint: you might wanna take a look at Reaper's Superbaby for inspiration.)

I have one bug report and a couple of feature requests:

Bug:
- If you select a few clips to consolidate/glue/render them and you choose 'render selected clips', the 'pass through filters' option in the dialog doesn't work. It doesn't matter if you select or unselect it the rendered clip will have the filters applied, unless you deactivate the filter first. That's annoying when all you want to do is consolidate a few split clips. (on OS X 10.9 with latest T5)

Feature Requests:
- I'm still as annoyed with the lack of count-in when going into loop recording as I was five years ago. And searching through old posts here I realize I am not the only one. The fact that you cannot play audio outside of the loop area when the loop option is on is probably related to that. Pleeeaase change/fix that :pray: . To me that's at least a semi-bug... and a really old one.

- Another old annoyance: When I split a clip both resulting new clips get selected. I can't think of one case where that has been the right thing for me. Almost always what I want to do after splitting a clip is to drag/copy/duplicate _one_ of the resulting new clips. To do that I always have to click somewhere else first release the mouse and click again. Over the years this must have been a million superfluous mouse clicks. Again: Pleeease... with sugar :)

- I do like the marker/region combination thingy but creating markers has become too difficult since v3. I loved being able to hit control+number to quickly create a marker and I never use more than 9 markers per edit. Others might need more, so I understand some of the reasoning behind the 'new' system, but imho T needs a way to create markers more easily.

- I've gotten so used to be able to lasso select using the right mouse button. An option for that wouldn't be hard to do, would it?

- Also, it would be cool to be able to double click on a marker region to select all clips on all tracks within that region and to cut all overlapping clips before copying/dragging everything.

- Now with the option to have multiple edits open, I think we need a way to go to the next/previous tabs, exactly like in a web browser.

- An awesome feature would be an optional 'record during count-in' option. This could speed up the process of combined recording and arranging a lot, because one wouldn't need to record an extra bar to prevent the DAW from possibly truncating a slightly early transient or a pickup. Combined with the possibility to have a -1 bar this would make for much easier arranging on the beats/bars timeline. The way it's now, I always have to start my songs at bar 1 so bar 16 becomes bar 17 and so on.

Some UI stuff:

- The button to show/hide the browser should be where the other show/hide buttons are. Not a big deal, since I have my keystrokes for that but UI-wise I don't think the current layout makes much sense.

- Another user has already mentioned visual feedback when saving an edit. I second that.

- Sometimes I hit a key I didn't intend to hit and I don't know if I've screwed something up by doing that. If I had a way of seeing the last action I would know whether to hit undo or not. The easy solution would be a tooltip showing the last action when hovering over the undo button.

That's all for now 8) I wish you all a great successful 2015!

Axl
All good, well reasoned points. Let's hope that they listen…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Render midi notes as they are played - please add this to the T6 version. I hate the fact that you only see your notes after you have stopped record.

Return to “Tracktion”