REGISTERING T5 UNDER LINUX

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can get a free T5 Linux license from here:

https://www.tracktion.com/account/signup/index/c/linux

(Linked at http://www.tracktion.com/linux/ under My Account -> Register )

Online registration didn't work for me so I needed to download the key file via the unlock software online page here

https://www.tracktion.com/account/unlock-offline

Copy/paste your machines number from the About page under Tracktion. When you've downloaded your keyfile just drag'n drop it into the Tracktion window to register it. If drag n' drop fails to register Tracktion, run Tracktion from a terminal and pass the full path to the key as an argument ie

Code: Select all

$ Tracktion /path/to/keyfile
The latest build should be available to download here:

http://www.tracktion.com/linux/downloads
Last edited by danboid on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I have my own personal .tracktionkey file generated at Tracktion's website with my Linux v5 license, but when I drag/drop it into the Tracktion window, nothing happens. After dragging and dropping a dozen times, I closed and relaunched Tracktion, checked the 'About' and still unregistered. I launched Tracktion from command line with path/to/my/.tracktionkey file and no luck. Anyone share my situation?

(Running elementary OS Panetheon/Gala if DE/WM is possibly a factor.)

I've not tried elementary OS in some time - it lacked many features I use and enjoy in KDE last time I tried it. Same goes for Cinnamon.

I'm presuming you were trying to drag and drop from the Elementary desktop (Pantheon/Gala). Maybe its freedesktop DND support is broken or incomplete? Have you not tried drag and dropping from a file manager?

I used Dolphin to drag n' drop my Tracktion key but I can understand you may not want to install all the KDE libs just to get Dolphin running. If thats the case maybe you could try drag and dropping from Thunar instead? I've not tested that but I know Dolphin does the trick.

The file manager I was using for drag/drop is OS-default 'Pantheon Files', which is a fork of Marlin, a GTK3 file manager. Drag/drop is working with a few other applications and their supported file types, so I suspect something deeper under the hood is at play.

eOS also has a dock, 'Plank', which supports drag/drop, but dragging and dropping the .tracktionkey over the Tracktion app also had no effect.

I've launched Tracktion from the terminal but there's no event logged during the drag/drop attempts. Kind of wish this key validation happened in CLI rather than drag/drop. Or if I could just place the key file in a .hidden config folder.

I could try a different file manager like Thunar. No doubt this drag/drop operation works on other OS's. I'll try this out on my Crunchbang machine and see if that works.

FYI the drag-and-drop fail is a bit of a mystery to me, it's presumably something strange about your distro, but for the next release (5.3) I'll make sure that you can at least pass a key file as a command-line param to the app, or open it from a file-chooser box..

jules wrote:... for the next release (5.3) I'll make sure that you can at least pass a key file as a command-line param to the app, or open it from a file-chooser box..
Cool! I'll wait :D

I updated the OP to include a link to the latest Linux downoads as the main Linux page is still in the v4 era, although it does link to the v5 download.

The kdialog file selecter probs persist in 5.2.4. Apparently this was fixed in JUCE back in October so could it be Linux T5 is being built against an outdated JUCE?

Is there now a way to register Tracktion 5.3 by the command line? Just checked the drag and drop method on my elementary OS system and it is still not functioning correctly.

EDIT:
OH oh oh oh... wait wait wait.

I was able to right-click my .tracktionkey file and 'Open with...' > 'Tracktion':

Application launches, "unlocking," and I think I'm good to go!

So it's safe to assume that the online method is not working either? I managed to register the last release using drag/drop on KX-Studio (works well on this distro BTW) but I am planning to upgrade to 5.3 and the hard drive I installed on is being moved to another box. We'll see how this works out. :)

Jeff, the online registration method in the application was still problematic for me until I used the offline/tracktionkey method successfully with the new 5.3 build.

Confirmed ! It only works properly with the offline method.

I recently upgraded to KXStudio (Ubuntu) 14.04 from 12.04 because I have Intel 4600 GFX and the latest Ubuntu xorg has more complete support for my hardware - multiple display output and vaapi hardware video decoding work now so it was worthwhile. I also updated the kernel to 3.15.6 so that HDMI audio works, which didn't work properly under the stock 3.13 kernel.

I had backed up my Tracktion offline reg key and I noticed my machine number was still the same so I thought it would work but sadly not. I thought I'd try the online registration first but that is still broken it seems so I had to get a new key via the unlock software online page linked above.

Its registered now but I wanted to update this thread to note online reg is still broken and that changing OS necessitates acquiring a new key.

I suspect 5.4.x will be arriving any day soon? I hope so - I'm spending too much time checking this forum for updates! :)

I should also mention that I installed T5 Linux for a friend a few weeks ago but after registering we had to wait an hour or so before the license became available. Hopefully this has been fixed now?

I'd suggest making this thread sticky until the registration issues are fixed.

5parkle5!

Bro you fuckin' rule! So happy that the music maker in me is crying tears of joy... well metaphorically! You're a genius! :D

Return to “Tracktion”