Books - Guide to Tracktion T6/T7 - $0

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bill,

I think the book is coming along great. I noticed a few minor typos here and there. I can try to highlight them for you if that helps.

I hope you consider adding the following at some point. Chapters on:

“Plugin Racks
Using multi-output Synths
Control Surface Mapping
Video integration”

These are taken from your list of things you are not planning to cover of course!

Anyway, even without these it's fantastic. Thanks!
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

gesslr wrote:Bill,

I think the book is coming along great. I noticed a few minor typos here and there. I can try to highlight them for you if that helps.

I hope you consider adding the following at some point. Chapters on:

“Plugin Racks
Using multi-output Synths
Control Surface Mapping
Video integration”

These are taken from your list of things you are not planning to cover of course!

Anyway, even without these it's fantastic. Thanks!
I certainly would appreciate it if you would send me any typos. I can correct them immediately.

I do hope to add coverage of some of those topics. That list is really more to reduce the expectation that the book will cover every single feature of Tracktion.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'd personally like the book to be complete (start to end in use and features), or as complete as can be given current features that is....... then what I've seen for another book is.......... include exclusive video access (site address) to book owners (offer helper or example videos per chapter or topic to help get point across)..... then also include update videos/and pdf cheatsheets as things change or come out, maybe by email newsletter book-owner subscribe? This is how another I just subscribed to does this....... I think its great and covers pretty much all the bases....he also sends out tips and tricks cheatsheets to email subscribers/book owners!
Just a thought.........
Thanks for the great Tracktion insight and videos Bill! Its great to see you so interested in and participating in the evolution of an up and coming Daw (aka underdog)

PS wanting a complete book was reference to an actual hard copy eventually of course.... I just signed up for the ebook in progress with email updates. Will still buy the printed version when done for reference! :)
GregRband

"Use what Talents you Possess; the Woods would be very Silent if no Birds Sang except those that Sang Best."
Henry Van Dyke

GregRband wrote:I'd personally like the book to be complete (start to end in use and features), or as complete as can be given current features that is....... then what I've seen for another book is.......... include exclusive video access (site address) to book owners (offer helper or example videos per chapter or topic to help get point across)..... then also include update videos/and pdf cheatsheets as things change or come out, maybe by email newsletter book-owner subscribe? This is how another I just subscribed to does this....... I think its great and covers pretty much all the bases....he also sends out tips and tricks cheatsheets to email subscribers/book owners!
Just a thought.........
Thanks for the great Tracktion insight and videos Bill! Its great to see you so interested in and participating in the evolution of an up and coming Daw (aka underdog)

PS wanting a complete book was reference to an actual hard copy eventually of course.... I just signed up for the ebook in progress with email updates. Will still buy the printed version when done for reference! :)
Thanks for your support and ideas. My first focus it to get the planned 36 chapters released. I hope the book and Tracktion are successful enough to justify doing some additional related projects or expanding the book. Printing a batch of traditional physical books would not make sense at this point. Tracktion is just changing too fast. Of course you can always print PDF if you need hardcopy.

I just released three new chapters:

* Chapter 16 - Recording Overdubs
* Chapter 17 - Clean-up Editing
* Chapter 18 - Warp Time

With that, the book is 50% released. That is a big milestone. It has been helped by the handful of you who purchased a pre-release copy.

I slightly changed the original outline to make room for Warp Time coverage in chapter 18.

If you see typos (and there are plenty) let me know and I will fix them in the next release.

Bill

Here are the contents of the newest chapters:

zxant wrote: 
!! Totally Ridiculous !!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yea - ridiculous good! Bill really knows his way around T!
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Integratron wrote:
zxant wrote: 
!! Totally Ridiculous !!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yea - ridiculous good! Bill really knows his way around T!

Thanks for that!

Bill

Yesterday, I finished Chapter 21 - Using an Amp Simulator Plugin. This is an important workflow for many Tracktioneers so I wanted to give it special attention.

The book *Guide to Tracktion 6 is now up to 185 illustrated pages. I also made numerous corrections to earlier chapters and updated more details to match the latest build of T6!

If you haven't already purchased the pre-release, you can still do so right here:

https://leanpub.com/billedstromsguidetotracktion

The newest chapters are:

Chapter 18 - Warp Time
Chapter 19 - Loop Recording
Chapter 20 - Comping
Chapter 21 - Using an Amp Simulator Plugin

The top 8 questions answered in chapters 19 - 21:

1. How do I get into Warp Time mode?
2. What are some limitations of Warp Time editing?
3. Which Stretch algorithm should I used?
4. What is "comping" and how do I do it in Tracktion?
5. What if I didn't record in Loop mode, can I still comp my takes?
6. How do I used and amp sim to get a guitar sound in Tracktion?
7. How about tuning my guitar while recording?
8. Why does my direct guitar feel like the sound is delayed?

gigazaga wrote:I am working a new Tracktion 6 color scheme to include as part of the book extras. Here is a sneak peek. What do you think?

Hi Res:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/946 ... alePro.png
Looks really nice , will be pulling the trigger on buying the book soon ,( sorry i havent already Bill ) I actually want to retract my print the book out on my own comment from page one , it be nice to have a physical copy as well as the e-reader pdf . :love:

fedexnman wrote: Looks really nice , will be pulling the trigger on buying the book soon ,( sorry i havent already Bill ) I actually want to retract my print the book out on my own comment from page one , it be nice to have a physical copy as well as the e-reader pdf . :love:
The problem with printing it that Tracktion is changing so fast that the hardcopy is going to be out of date the next week. Anyway, buy the book when you think there is enough there to get some benefit from it. I haven't released any MIDI related chapters yet, so if you need info that it's too soon. But those chapters are up next!

For those of you waiting for new chapters, I have been in the process of moving for the last several weeks. Things are getting more settled now and I expect to release the next chapter very soon!
Last edited by gigazaga on Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Today I released the latest update to the book!

This release adds Chapter 22 which is the first of several covering the MIDI features of Tracktion. Chapter 22 walks you through the basics of configuring a MIDI input, setting up a track, and adding a synth plugin. It also shows how to set up a virtual MIDI input that uses your qwerty keyboard as an input device.

With this release, Guide to Tracktion 6, is now 191 pages and 61% complete!

To order:

Today I released five new chapters bringing Guide to Tracktion 6 to 73% released! Four of the chapters are related to working with MIDI recording and editing. In addition, I wrote a new bonus chapter to introduce the new macro scripting feature in Tracktion 6.2.1. Here are the new chapters in this release:

Chapter 23 - MIDI Recording
Chapter 24 - MIDI Loop Recording
Chapter 25 - MIDI Editing
Chapter 26 - Quantizing MIDI Notes
Chapter 37 - Keyboard Macros

There will now be 37 chapters in the final book. Scripting wasn't part of the original plan but it seemed important to me to to add. I hope you enjoy the new chapters and welcome any feedback or corrections.

There are only 10 chapters to go!

Thank you!

Bill Edstrom

Today, I added one more chapter to the released book - Chapter 27 Step Clips. This is full coverage of the Step Clip functionality in T6, the best guide to step clips you will find anywhere!

Now is the time to get your copy. I am closing in on the final few chapters of the book. When released, the minimum price will go up, so don't delay much longer!

Get your copy here:

Return to “Tracktion”