T6 track recording wtf..

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This has happened to me twice now, today, and its making me really annoyed.

What Im doing is digitising some LPs, so all Im doing for each side is recording one simple stereo track thats about 15-20 minutes long.

Or at least thats what Im trying to do. So far, twice now out of 5 attempted sides, Ive got all the way through a side, hit space to end the recording, and Tracktion has not only deleted the clip that it was recording, but the track inputs as well leaving me with nothing. Up until the point I stopped recording, Tracktion was merrily drawing the clip/waveform away, so it certainly -had- been recording.
Just to make it clear, I hit the spacebar. I did -not- click on Abort(*). And the track inputs disappeared from the Track as well as the clip.

There's no evidence of the audio in the 'Recorded' subfolder within the Edit's folder.

What the hell happened?

(*) and by the way the Abort buttons are -far- too close to the start/stop record buttons.

Latest T6 x64 v6.0.18 running on Win7 x64. DirectSound audio devices.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Audacity may be more suited to this task.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote:Audacity may be more suited to this task.
what task? recording?

what would be the point of a DAW that couldnt handle the simplest possible recording scenario better than Audacity?

I presume you tried undo?

aMUSEd wrote:I presume you tried undo?
The second time it happened, I did, to no avail. In fact undo let me restore clips that occurred before that recording (a couple of false starts), but not the 'missing' recording. And redoing from that earlier point didnt restore anything either.

Weird, you would think the audio clip was still somewhere though, maybe as a temp file in the project folder? Usually you have to tell Tracktion to delete the actual audio file even after deleting a clip.

I guess you could try the new punch out mechanism, then stop?
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Hmmm... sometimes I think this program is great. Then, it does weird things like this... I would contact support so they can fix this before I try and do the same thing. I have a bunch of albums I want to digitize. I don't record much audio but here's a good example of something that should work and may not?

:scared:

mcnelson wrote:I guess you could try the new punch out mechanism, then stop?
Yeah, I'll give that a try, cheers. Its not what I'd call ideal, though.

whyterabbyt wrote:
what task? recording?

what would be the point of a DAW that couldnt handle the simplest possible recording scenario better than Audacity?
Your call, but I wouldn't go to the supermarket in a Rolls-Royce.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote:Your call, but I wouldn't go to the supermarket in a Rolls-Royce.
And yet if a Rolls Royce can't reliably drive further than the end of the street without risk of the wheels falling off, then its effectively unfit for the purpose, be that shopping or not.
Rolls Royces are supposed to perform better than the family runabout, not worse, in case you hadnt realised.

This isnt actually a thread titled 'looking for something to record audio in despite owning several bits of software that already do that', its about aberrant behaviour in Tracktion 6, posted in Tracktion's forums for that reason. Unless you have insight into the actual issue, it might be better to say nothing than to completely ignore the point...
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whyterabbyt wrote:
jabe wrote:Your call, but I wouldn't go to the supermarket in a Rolls-Royce.
And yet if a Rolls Royce can't reliably drive further than the end of the street without risk of the wheels falling off, then its effectively unfit for the purpose, be that shopping or not.
Rolls Royces are supposed to perform better than the family runabout, not worse, in case you hadnt realised.
True, but sometimes a simpler solution might be the way. It might use less petrol, for instance. However, on second thoughts, I've remembered that Audacity records ALL sound sent to the speakers, and sometimes that's not a help.

jabe wrote:True, but sometimes a simpler solution might be the way. It might use less petrol, for instance. However, on second thoughts, I've remembered that Audacity records ALL sound sent to the speakers, and sometimes that's not a help.
I already own plenty of software reliably capable of this utterly basic task without problems, including ProTools, Sonar, Live and Audition. I am not asking how I can get my recordings done; what I am doing is pointing out that Tracktion seems not to be reliably capable of this utterly basic task without problems.

If you still cannot perceive the difference between those two things, please accept that there is a significant one and that you are contributing nothing of value to this thread whatsoever.

If Tracktion fails at something so simple then clearly this is a problem that TSC need to address.

sorry, this is just simply inept as a suggestion.

somebody is having a serious problem with recording audioinput.
this should be sent to support and hopefully is immediately adressed.

this is one of the things audioprograms should reliably be able to do in any case. hope this gets sorted soon for you whyterabbyt!

i only have tracktion 6 on a 32 bit win8 system, but i will check that for sure. don't want to run into a scenario like this ...

Return to “Tracktion”