T6 track recording wtf..

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That would be a sensible safety net.

Kang wrote:My only wish is that the files would be sent to the TRASH. Then they wouldn't be in the session files, you could delete them later as you wish, plus you can get them back if there was an accident.
Yeah, if it was going to keep the files 'somewhere' it wouldnt be so bad.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I ran several recordings of 20 and 30 minutes on my PC this morning. Tracktion 6.0.19 64-bit.

I am running Win 8.1 64-bit on Dell XPS with 16 GB ram, 2.1 GHz i7 quad core , 512 SDD. I am using an AudioBox iOne USB interface on that computer.

I tried running tests using both DirectSound and Windows Audio and did not have any trouble stopping recording with spacebar. I will keep running these tests different ways to try to see if I can get it to fail.

I can't do test like on this on my Mac right now because I need use the computer for other things.
Last edited by gigazaga on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I have a few times lost recordings of my bands rehearsel when there wasn't enough hard disk space left on the PC in T3 and T5. :dog:

gigazaga wrote:I ran several recordings of 20 and 30 minutes on my PC this morning. Tracktion 6.0.19 64-bit.

I am running Win 8.1 64-bit on Dell XPS with 16 GB ram, 2.1 GHz i7 quad core , 512 SDD. I am using an AudioBox iOne USB interface on that computer.

I tried running tests using both DirectSound and Windows Audio and did not have any trouble stopping recording with spacebar. I will keep running these tests different ways to try to see if I can get it to fail.

I can't do test like on this on my Mac right now because I need use the computer for other things.
UPDATE: I had the version number wrong. I corrected that above.
Last edited by gigazaga on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I ran a test 3x 21min rec . T6.0.19 . x64 No hiccups . Some Tracktion settings I have that maybe different then yours . Settings/General Behavior/ I have auto save disabled and asks you when you close the edit to save . Settings/plugins/ I have enable rewire unchecked . So , I have 3 settings that may differ . Windows 7 x64. i7 920 2.66 , 6gb ram , 1 120 ssd , 2 7200 hdd , gigabyte mobo . Echoaudiofire4 FireWire asio 48 at 128 buffer . I recently followed a Windows 7 optimize guide over at sweetwater music , and also looked at the Presonus guide and Steinberg guide . I followed those guides well . I did do something different though in the Bios Settings , what I did for the advanced CPU settings was disable C-states ( c1 c3 c6 c7 ) .... But I did leave Intel turbo , multi / hype threading enabled , though.... .Steinberg's guide said to disable multi/hyper threading and Intel turbo boost . I got crappy CPU performance doing it that way , so I just disabled c- states c1 etc etc . So why did I do all these system optimizations ? My CPU takes a major hit from softsynths like Uhe Diva , Madrona Labs Kaivo , and certain synth patches in other VSTi synths . StudioOne2 Impact drum sampler during midi events play back it eats 30-40% CPU ! Crazy . , which I think is a buggy plugin or StudioOne2 is buggy with CPU . So that's where I'm at with system tunings . Funny I don't use much softsynths but was very surprised about how taxing the newer plugins get .

I haven't tried it yet on Win but have done the Sweetwater and Presonus guide tweaks over there.
I've had Reaper eat a file this way before but never on OSX so this is definately weird.
I do have autosave on - so i'll try turning that off next time.

Not a good thing that only two people can confirm it so far.

Okay, more testing.

Third run on the system I was using this morning : just under 2 hours of recording done, hitting spacebar disappeared the inputs and clip.

Back home and some more tests on the system I was using yesterday but with the onboard soundcard as the DirectSound device.

First and second times, I was able to record 10-11 minutes worth with no problem (restarting from timepoint 0 in between recordings, recording take 2 over take 1.) Third attempt, again starting from timepoint 0, recording take 3 over take 2, hitting spacebar disappeared the clip I was recording, the two existing clips on the track, and the track input. The first two clips/takes were left in the Recordings folder, though.

However, in testing things I also found a reliable way to 'sorta' simulate the behaviour.

1. Set the track inputs.
2. Arm the track.
3. Start recording.
4. Manually change the track inputs to 'No Input'.

Observed : Tracktion keeps on behaving normally and recording to a clip

5. Now stop recording by hitting space or whatever.

Observed: the clip disappears, as does the file that was started in the 'Recorder' folder.

Since this is completely 100% repeatable here, it seems to me as if there's the possibility that trying to stop recording normally is, sometimes, removing the track inputs for the track, and that's causing deletion of the clip in the same way. Maybe. :shrug:

Either way, Im suspecting this behaviour is related to the issue Im seeing. And in case someone suggests it, I know damn sure I -didnt- manually change the inputs on all those tests before now. ;)

And btw, should it not be impossible to change the inputs on an armed-and-recording track?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I tried several long recordings on OSX (Yosemite 10.10.2), 2014 Macbook Air, T6(.0.19).
No problem so far.

Having said that, first time I opened T6 it went up in a puff of digital smoke after less than a minute when opening my first edit.

It's been behaving since.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

OK just made a successful recording 11min recording on a 2013 Macbook Air.
Key differences from other failed attempts:
i5 vs dual core CPU
SSD vs 5400 drive
Autosave off vs Autosave set for 10mins

Either of these could be a factor - the last one in particular.
When I get some time i'll try this out further with Autosave off and on the Win8.1

I am now having this issue as well. I've had it happen a bunch of times on my Mac and PC, exactly as has been described. Can't really narrow it down yet due to it's somewhat randomness, but it's happening more than not.

I tried switching auto save modes and "renaming a clip in the edit..." and was still getting it to happen. Trying with "reload edits upon launch" unselected now.

One other thing I noticed. I get the exact same thing when I click the FILE MENU VIEW button! This seems to be related to the length of the recording as well, doesn't happen at first, but for long recordings I think it's happening every time. The recording and the inputs disappear, but the cursor keeps going. The .wav files vanish.

A little discouraging to say the least. Anyone have it happen in T5?

I've learned how to recreate it every time.

I take the attention away from from the main edit screen. Try to start a recording, switch to the settings menu. Go back to the main screen and it will still be creating waveforms, but hit stop or hit the FILE MENU button and it will disappear along with the track inputs.

So far I THINK every time I've kept on the edit screen the recordings have remained, but maybe someone can refute this.

Kang wrote:I've learned how to recreate it every time.

I take the attention away from from the main edit screen. Try to start a recording, switch to the settings menu. Go back to the main screen and it will still be creating waveforms, but hit stop or hit the FILE MENU button and it will disappear along with the track inputs.
Yes I can reproduce this even with short recordings, damn!

The good news is I can't reproduce this in T5 which means it's a new bug, maybe an unforseen consequence of the new punch in and out functionality?

I had a similar problem, I also made a topic time ago, but I'm not sure the solution I did find is related to your case, but for sure we experienced the same thing: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=419843

In my case it was because I was using a MIDI keyboard using its "Key hold" feature, but Tracktion didn't record anything when in that mode, so at the end it would just delete the empty clip.

aMUSEd wrote:
Kang wrote:I've learned how to recreate it every time.

Yes I can reproduce this even with short recordings, damn!
Same here! And not just the settings tab.
Going to any other tab and coming back does it.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Return to “Tracktion”