Can Tracktion split a midi input into a few channels? [SOLVED] (Virtual Midi inputs)

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,

I have been looking for a way to get my new novation circuit (which is awesome) to route out in tracktion. I just figured out how to route the channels into midi yoke with midi ox... But is there a way to do ITB T7 yet? I had seen the past versions it wasn't possible... Thanks!

RC
Last edited by rpc9943 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Can you explain, do you mean using your midi outputs as inputs in Tracktion.

So the novation circuit is a sequencer and it has a USB midi input into the computer.

Ch 1. Synth 1
Ch 2. Synth 2
Ch 10. Drums

What I am trying to do is see if I can duplicate the midi input into 3 so that I can just mute out the channels and rename each input accordingly.

I can't figure that part out, internally in tracktion.

But I am doing a workaround using midiox and midiyoke, the ox doing the separation and into the midi yoke 1 , 2 and 3.

In MIDI settings, create 2 virtual inputs, give them an alias (i.e. Channel2), and select your MIDI input. Filter to the MIDI input(s) you want.
Then, on recording, select Channel2 for stuff on MIDI channel 2 only (or whichever ones are selected above).
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Yeah I actually tried using virtual midi inputs but they didn't play through any notes like the original did. Am I missing something?

rpc9943 wrote:Yeah I actually tried using virtual midi inputs but they didn't play through any notes like the original did. Am I missing something?
I was going to post about the Virtual MIDI Devices too. I don't understand what you mean by "but they didn't play through any notes like the original did" though.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Ok so the midi input for the circuit plays notes. If I lock down the channel say to 10 for drums it works. When I add a virtual midi, no notes play from the virtual input no matter what I do.

I might be missing something too, I'm afraid.

Is the MIDI from the Circuit playing plug-in sounds in Tracktion? Or are you intending to send the recorded MIDI back to the Circuit for it to play sounds on there?

I've found a picture of the back of your gadget, but the MIDI in and out sockets don't resemble any MIDI sockets I've ever seen.

How is your Circuit connected to your PC? Is it via USB?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

As mentioned above it is midi in from USB. I already have it working with midi ox and midi yoke. It is being used to trigger note data through midi into vstis. The issue is that the virtual inputs aren't sending any midi data even though I select the circuit midi in as the input to clone.

What if you set up a virtual MIDI device but don't filter any of the channels?

Yes I have tried that too, what am I doing wrong?

Don't know. Seems odd. I'll write the steps I do.

1. MIDI (Q25) keyboard attached to PC.
2. Interface (Spike) attached to electric and PC.
3. Started T7 (demo, haven't upgraded yet).
4. Go to Settings, MIDI Devices.
5. Click Create New Virtual MIDI Input...
6. Enter name for new Virtual MIDI Input. It is then added to the list of MIDI devices and is in green because it is enabled.
7. Click on new device in the list to get its properties.
8. In Properties, select keyboard (Q25) under Select MIDI Inputs. In MIDI Filter, click on several channels I don't want to use.
9. In an Edit, right-click a track input area and selected the new Virtual MIDI Input. The settings also appear in the Properties panel.
10. Pressing keys on the keyboard should make the meter on the new input move. If so, it's working.
11. Add a plug-in instrument for the track, etc.

That's working for me. Have I done anything different?

At first look no looks the same to me. Interesting.

Weird. I did the same in T5 and T6 last night without a problem.

Interesting. In T7 (demo), I created a new edit, and previously I had created a virtual, probably in T5, that was imported. I created a second virtual, and for some reason the "real" MIDI works, the first virtual works, but the second virtual shows no input at all to the track. Now, is it the second virtual, or does T7 have a problem with linking virtuals to real MIDI devices? It has no problem using the one carried forward from older releases.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Return to “Tracktion”