Waveform 8.1.2 Released

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

- Updated bundle installer plugins

- Fixed a Javascript parse error using get/setProperty methods for calls that return arrays of objects
- Fixed bug in pattern generator where top note in scale could be an octave too low
- Allow chord progressions to be longer than 4 beats per chord
- Fixed bug enabling and disabling stereo pair for outputs
- Added option to allow chord and bass presets to be longer than 4 beat segments
- Fixed a problem unlocking or starting trials of DAW Essentials on Windows (this may mean to have to unlock them again)

dRowAudio wrote:8.1.2
- Updated bundle installer plugins
What was updated here?
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Just some authorisation code that was needed for the previous fix in 8.1.1
- Fixed a problem unlocking or starting trials of DAW Essentials on Windows (this may mean to have to unlock them again)

Thanks my Waveform has been working good lately !

I have been having intermittent issues with Collective after updating to the 8.1.2 bundle released today. Never saw this issue before.

Now sometimes Collective will just suddenly quit outputting audio.

The first time this happened, I was just playing Collective from a controller, without the transport running. I assumed it was Waveform that had hung, so I restarted it.

Then it happened again while Collective was playing a looped MIDI clip on a track.

So I copied the clip to another track while the transport continued to loop, and inserted a different instrument onto the new track.

The new instrument started playing without skipping a beat. Tried muting and unmuting Collective, however it remained silent.

I can recreate this by starting a new project, inserting Collective, adding a loop, and hitting play. Sometimes it goes silent after a few bars, but sometimes it works fine. My CPU meter is usually showing 10-15% wile testing a few tracks in Waveform.

Thinking about uninstalling and rolling back to the original bundle.

zzz00m wrote:I have been having intermittent issues with Collective after updating to the 8.1.2 bundle released today. Never saw this issue before.

The first time this happened, I was just playing Collective from a controller, without the transport running. I assumed it was Waveform that had hung, so I restarted it.

Then it happened again while Collective was playing a looped MIDI clip on a track.

So I copied the clip to another track while the transport continued to loop, and inserted a different instrument onto the new track.

The new instrument started playing without skipping a beat. Tried muting and unmuting Collective, however it remained silent.

I can recreate this by starting a new project, inserting Collective, adding a loop, and hitting play. Sometimes it goes silent after a few bars, but sometimes it works fine. My CPU meter is usually showing 10-15% wile testing a few tracks in Waveform.

OK, I think I have determined how to recreate this problem. It only seems to affect Collective, and I cannot reproduce this issue using any other synth.

Background: I have been using a saved edit with just Addictive Drums 2 as a template to audition different synths with. I like having the drums preset with a kit and pattern so I don't have to set them up each time, and it's nice to have a drum beat in sync to tempo with any arpeggio or sequence played by a synth. AD2 has a nice Sync Play/Stop feature that lets its internal patterns Play/Stop according to the DAW transport. No need to go putting MIDI clips on the drum track until/unless you want to. Good for quick tryouts. :tu:

Back to the problem: as far as I know, it never happened prior to the update today. I have been leaving AD2 Sync Play/Stop active and disabling the AD2 Plugin (right click > Disable) in the track when I don't need drums at the moment.

It seems if AD2 is disabled with Sync Play/Stop enabled, AND I insert Collective on a new track, Collective will stop outputting audio at some point.

When this problem occurs, I can replace Collective with another synth and the track will play fine. No other synth I have tried yet seems to have issues with AD2 setup like this. If I disable AD2 without Sync Play/Stop enabled, I don't seem to have any trouble. Very Strange! :scared:

Scratching my head on this one! :dog:

Thanks for the info on this. We are aware of an issue with Collective randomly becoming silent but we've not been able to replicate it on any of our test machines.

Have you seen Collective go silent in Edit's without AD2? I know other users have but it's interesting you report that it's more likely to happen with AD2 disabled. I can't think why that would interfere with it at the moment but it gives us a different avenue of investigation so thanks!

Thanks for the javascript update. Off topic, but is there a way to access the viewstate properties such as enabledTrackTags?

dRowAudio wrote:Thanks for the info on this. We are aware of an issue with Collective randomly becoming silent but we've not been able to replicate it on any of our test machines.

Have you seen Collective go silent in Edit's without AD2? I know other users have but it's interesting you report that it's more likely to happen with AD2 disabled. I can't think why that would interfere with it at the moment but it gives us a different avenue of investigation so thanks!
As far as I can recall, I have not experienced this silence before with Collective.

But only in recent days have I really been checking out Collective, after seeing some videos on Biotek, and trying to compare the two before my Biotek trial expires. :o

But I was testing Collective with AD2 disabled in the same edit prior to the update, and I did not experience silence there either.

I too have had the problem of Collective voices just dropping output. But it has been doing that in all recent releases. But I usually have a few instances of collective running at the time. If I open collective and change the voice to a different one and then back it restores output. Seems to happen more often when using a larger (slower loading voice). I only have a quad core PC. I assumed it was an issue with processing power. I imagined if I were to render some of the tracks it might help.

bstratt1 wrote:I too have had the problem of Collective voices just dropping output. But it has been doing that in all recent releases. But I usually have a few instances of collective running at the time. If I open collective and change the voice to a different one and then back it restores output. Seems to happen more often when using a larger (slower loading voice). I only have a quad core PC. I assumed it was an issue with processing power. I imagined if I were to render some of the tracks it might help.
In my case changing the voices did not help once the "silence" begins. Only by replacing the synth using the "replace" menu command, and switching to another synth, then replacing with Collective restored the sound. Other synth tracks continue to play, so it appears that the Waveform audio engine is still communicating with the audio drivers.

Closing the edit or Waveform and reopening it seems to work also.

Don't think it is processing power, as Collective seems to be modest in its demands based on current standards. I can run several instances on my dual core, 4 thread, 3.4 Ghz CPU without going over 20% CPU use, and I have plenty of RAM. Also running Waveform and Collective from a SSD drive. So normally very snappy response all around! :D

I'm also running with factory ASIO drivers on my M-Audio interface, with audio buffer size set at 256 samples (5.8ms latency).

Bottom line, I don't seem to be stressing the computer or the audio interface in the least bit. :tu:

Note: I am running Windows 10 Pro 1607 x64, with the latest Waveform bundle update.

Edit: OK, so I am able to switch voices today to regain the sound. Another observation is that this seems to occur most often to the last track, or highest numbered track with an instance of Collective. If I place Collective in only track 1, I cannot seem to reproduce the silence. If I put several tracks with Collective, I have only seen the last instance have trouble. And only if there is an instance of AD2 in a track above it.

zzz00m wrote:
zzz00m wrote:I have been having intermittent issues with Collective after updating to the 8.1.2 bundle released today. Never saw this issue before.

OK, I think I have determined how to recreate this problem. It only seems to affect Collective, and I cannot reproduce this issue using any other synth.

Background: I have been using a saved edit with just Addictive Drums 2 as a template to audition different synths with. I like having the drums preset with a kit and pattern so I don't have to set them up each time, and it's nice to have a drum beat in sync to tempo with any arpeggio or sequence played by a synth. AD2 has a nice Sync Play/Stop feature that lets its internal patterns Play/Stop according to the DAW transport. No need to go putting MIDI clips on the drum track until/unless you want to. Good for quick tryouts. :tu:

Back to the problem: as far as I know, it never happened prior to the update today. I have been leaving AD2 Sync Play/Stop active and disabling the AD2 Plugin (right click > Disable) in the track when I don't need drums at the moment.

It seems if AD2 is disabled with Sync Play/Stop enabled, AND I insert Collective on a new track, Collective will stop outputting audio at some point.

When this problem occurs, I can replace Collective with another synth and the track will play fine. No other synth I have tried yet seems to have issues with AD2 setup like this. If I disable AD2 without Sync Play/Stop enabled, I don't seem to have any trouble. Very Strange! :scared:

Scratching my head on this one! :dog:
I have the same problem with collective. I send them a song in which it happen often, maybe its a problem that happen on PC with no AVX cpu or with large RAM i have 12 GB ram so high adresses are used. i get no response if they can reproduce it with that song or not currently. i want try 32bit waveform, but collective is not choosable when run 32 bit waveform.i use collective longer on reaper. get the problem too. so its collective problem
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

I test collective 32 bit and it work ok after longer use. so i use my old jbridge and convert the 32bit collective to 64 bit and use in waveform 64. it work ok, it is only to show, that there seem a 64 bit Bug. useable is the jbridge version not really, because the popup to choose sine, square, sample can not open. but it can play the song many times i do editing in notes. always work

this bug happen often when compile 64 bit programs. maybe with waveform is same

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3761 ... 8#37629078

dRowAudio wrote:Thanks for the info on this. We are aware of an issue with Collective randomly becoming silent but we've not been able to replicate it on any of our test machines.

OK, now I have been able to reproduce the Waveform/Collective audio dropout without having Addictive drums in the project.

Today I also had the chance to test the 32-bit Waveform with Collective, and it drops audio intermittently here as well. All I did was set up an 8-bar MIDI loop and let it loop continuously. Every now and then it will drop out, and then return a few loops later ...

Return to “Tracktion”