Is there any way to control midi learn in waveform drawing notes in piano roll ?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

this might be a dump question cause I really dont know much about this midi learn stuff (dont use midi keyboard in my worfklow usually) but is there any way I can control midi learn just by drawing notes in midi editor ? If possible would be glad for a short advcie how to do and escpecially how to assign the painted notes to the midi learn function.

Maybe concrete example might help to understand what I am after:

- I have a sequencer (reaktor) I use on different precomposed midi clips where I would like to make use of the integrated midi learn function for different functions, from simple on/off to generate new notes with the integrated random buttons etc.

- as I said, I dont use any midi keyboard or other controller usually used with midi learn so I want to control it with just drawing some additional controlling notes into the midi clip if possible

I have done comparable things with sequencers in kontakt libs but there you see which note controls which function in the integrated keyboard.

If its not possible with just drawing notes, how would it work with drawing control change messages in waveform, I had a short try but just get a line drawn that dont help me to get mostly on/off messages and I dont really get any idea how to do it with cc-messages.

Additional question: is there anywhere a keyboard integrated in waveform you can turn on or off like in kontakt ?

Hope thats not to confusing and someone get what I am after, evry help appreciated.

Go to settings, MIDI Devices, and click on "Create new virtual midi input" and give it a name, like "Test"
Go to the track you want to use a virtual keyboard on, in your edit, right click the inputs sections and choose "Test"

A little virtual keyboard will appear at the bottom. Use the lock icon to lock that on screen, and you can then either click on the keys there, or use your laptop keyboard keys to play notes (keys A S D etc for white keys, W E T etc for black keys. Use R to start recording)

That's how to get an integrated keyboard to record midi in Waveform.

As to how to do midi learn stuff .... i'm not really sure I get what you're trying to do, so can't help much with that, I'm afraid.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Midi Learn....This is not exactly for the Tracktion software, but at least I can show you the possibilities for "Midi Learn" with and without an actual external midi controller in general.

Fast Forward to around 8:58 ....You'll see how I use both methods to do midi learn as well as host automation which can also be recorded as midi and audio. Hope this helps in a way...

https://youtu.be/tYKPffl_YyQ

In The Mix wrote:Midi Learn....This is not exactly for the Tracktion software, but at least I can show you the possibilities for "Midi Learn" with and without an actual external midi controller in general.

Fast Forward to around 8:58 ....You'll see how I use both methods to do midi learn as well as host automation which can also be recorded as midi and audio. Maybe I misunderstood the question but hope this helps in a way...

https://youtu.be/tYKPffl_YyQ

So i know what midi learn is, in terms of you turn it on, move a knob, and it detects what parameter you're changing on your hardware controller, and maps it to something in a VST, or DAW, so you can easily use the hardware knob or fader to change that VST or DAW setting. I know about that.

I don't get what you would use Midi Learn for, if you don't have a hardware controller. Because there's nothing to learn from ...

That's exactly why I said you can use midi learn with or without an external controller. You can just use your computer's mouse to do stuff in real time. In other words, you can assign that particular parameter to a virtual knob/fader in your DAW.

There must be a glitch. I hit the reply button and whole bunch of posts got posted from me! Not sure what went wrong. Please delete them.
Last edited by In The Mix on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dup post
Last edited by In The Mix on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dup post
Last edited by In The Mix on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dup post

Okay, there are no virtual knobs or faders in Waveform to do this. I don't think you use Midi Learn for virtual knobs, usually. Maybe you do, in some software I don't know.

What I think you probably want to do, is draw automation curves for whatever you're trying to control. If it's a VST, on a track, drag the little "A" on the right of the track to the VST you're trying to control, and you should get a popup menu of things you can automate, which will depend on the VST itself what you get. Like, on a reverb plugin, you might get wet level, dry level, room size, damping and so on. That will add a little red line to your track, and you can set levels on that, curves and so on.

To split that off onto it's own separate automation track, under the track you're trying to automate, use the + sign on the right of that track.

If that's not what you're trying to do, the other alternative is to add a midi clip, double click on it to open it, and select the "Controllers" button, and add the MIDI CC controller you want to send messages on, from the list, and draw in some curves or whatever with the pencil tool.

Hope that makes some sense

Hi,

thanks a lot chico and in the mix, I know it is kind of stupid question midi learn without controller/keyboard.

Gladly I have found another solution for that problem: now I can control it by drawing control change message, thanks to the develloper. Background was that I want a sequencer in reaktor to automatically generate new random sequnences at that point where I want to "draw" the message.

I know it is kind of strange way making electronic music without controller/midi keyboard theses days but I just found my self some worflows I am very comfortabel with and in the spare time I have for making music....

For that I cant say how much I love this new midi pattern generator stuff in waveform, it is just what I need :D

But I will have a look at the video so that in the future I will know what they are talking about in case of "midi learn" :hihi: .

I've just realised that In The Mix wasn't the OP of the thread ... doh

tatanka wrote:
... I know it is kind of stupid question midi learn without controller/keyboard...
Not a stupid question at all. People use pencil tool and such to draw in automation all the time! It's really the same as turning a knob or fader...except you're not using a physical knob or fader! For me I always get better results (and more musical) when I got my hands on a physical controller especially when I'm working on orchestral mockups... It depends on the content as well.

Return to “Tracktion”