Update policy wf9/Biotek 2

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After seen the new versions announced I am really wondering about update options and price. In the "good old days" of 30 € for new version (which I payed evrytime from T3 on) I would not have worried, but the prices now beginning to be comparable (if you took the "ultimate" for example) to main DAW like Studio One I DO worry.

I have the basic version of wf8 and Biotek bought separately. So I really wonder if there will be any reduced upgrade including wf9 and Biotek 2 or will I have to pay the same as someone upgrading from T5 without ever having bought Biotek ?

Hope it will......

Last year the upgrade from T7 to W8 was $50, and I'm expecting that again. Upgrades, even by more than one version, had been $30 before that, for the steps from T3 up to T7. There hasn't been a BioTek upgrade, other than the "opening-up" one, so I can't guess what's happening there.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

tatanka wrote:I have the basic version of wf8 and Biotek bought separately. So I really wonder if there will be any reduced upgrade including wf9 and Biotek 2 or will I have to pay the same as someone upgrading from T5 without ever having bought Biotek ?

Hope it will......
Surely owning Biotek will get you an upgrade price for Biotek 2 and Waveform 8 will get you an upgrade price for Waveform 9.

But you're leading towards you should get an additional upgrade on W9 because you also have Biotek?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

The problem I might see is that the marketing strategy now of selling packages might just not take in account upgrades to products selled and bought before separately.

So I have upgraded my T7 basic version to waveform 8 basic for 50 $ and have the Biotek I bought separately (not sure how much I spent for that, but wont be less then 50 $). So thats around 100 dollar already spent (not to mention the other upgrades before).

So as it looks to me, if I want to upgrade both I will have to take the upgrade ultimate for 150 $.

Same prize as someone who has only bought T 5 before and spent 30 $ for that one time.

Hope you get what I like to say and why I dont think it is a good deal really....

Edit: forgot that I bought the master mix separately too as a plugin package, would add another 50 $ I think

tatanka wrote:The problem I might see is that the marketing strategy now of selling packages might just not take in account upgrades to products selled and bought before separately.
Ah, yeah, I see what you mean. Unfortunately that's the case with a lot of (most?) companies who do bundles; individual product purchases dont necessarily accumulate towards the cost of upgrading to a bundle. (Of course, the flipside to that for some people is you cant 'split' a bundle for partial resale.)
Will be interesting to see if upgrades are more granular.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

tatanka wrote:So as it looks to me, if I want to upgrade both I will have to take the upgrade ultimate for 150 $.
They've not published prices for this, so you're just making things up.
tatanka wrote:Same prize as someone who has only bought T 5 before and spent 30 $ for that one time.
T5 cost $60.
tatanka wrote:Hope you get what I like to say and why I dont think it is a good deal really....
Probably a good idea to wait till you know what the deals are, before agonising over whether they're good deals.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Reference from today:
reference.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That's the price to upgrade from earlier versions of Tracktion to Waveform 8, not the price to upgrade from earlier versions of Tracktion/Waveform, to Waveform 9.

So, as I said before, wait till they publish prices for what you want to do. I'd be surprised if you don't get a discount for previously owning Biotek, if you're going to Biotek 2.

As an aside, if you want to get Studio One, the cheapest version you can buy is Studio One Artist, which is £85.20, but doesn't support VSTs or AUs. So you can't use Biotek in Studio One Artist, for example.

To add VST/AU support, your cheapest option (short of buying the Professional version of Studio One at £344.40) is to buy the VST/AU/Rewire support Add-On, for Studio One Artist, at an additional £68.71

So the cheapest version of Studio One, that supports VSTs, comes in at £153.91. I don't know what the prices are in dollars.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

TSC has always been extremely fair in their pricing models. Past behavior is usually a good indicator of future performance, so my money is on fair upgrade pricing. Even if it goes up a little bit, it is consistently cheaper than just about any other DAW out there in this regard.
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

It is not, a lot of DAW comes with big updates during one version. But with Tracktion you pay for every major update. Waveform 8 / 9 is the first Tracktion that is stable but i am paying from Tracktion 4 i think. I stick with Tracktion because i spent some money on it, but i am not sure i wanna spend any more tbh.

fwsuperhero wrote:It is not, a lot of DAW comes with big updates during one version. But with Tracktion you pay for every major update. Waveform 8 / 9 is the first Tracktion that is stable but i am paying from Tracktion 4 i think. I stick with Tracktion because i spent some money on it, but i am not sure i wanna spend any more tbh.
That’s cool. Everybody needs to make the right decision for themselves.

I don’t think Tracktion has EVER made major feature updates over the course of a year, so I don’t expect them to behave that way... especially with a small (3?) person development team and a smaller user base (many of which are paying discounted upgrade prices for their versions). I think as they grow their user base and their staff, they can do more of that in the future. Hopefully it’s inclusion with a Roli hardware is helping the user base to grow.
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

gesslr wrote:
fwsuperhero wrote:It is not, a lot of DAW comes with big updates during one version. But with Tracktion you pay for every major update. Waveform 8 / 9 is the first Tracktion that is stable but i am paying from Tracktion 4 i think. I stick with Tracktion because i spent some money on it, but i am not sure i wanna spend any more tbh.
That’s cool. Everybody needs to make the right decision for themselves.

I don’t think Tracktion has EVER made major feature updates over the course of a year, so I don’t expect them to behave that way... especially with a small (3?) person development team and a smaller user base (many of which are paying discounted upgrade prices for their versions). I think as they grow their user base and their staff, they can do more of that in the future. Hopefully it’s inclusion with a Roli hardware is helping the user base to grow.
Yeah, me too. Ive got feeling that Waveform 9 with its logs makes tracktion stable product. But my experience was something like paying for beta testing for a lot of years. I like Waveform as a Daw a lot, but i would love to see ideas getting further in major version more than rolling our major version with important bugfixes so often and paying for it :)

I'm puzzled, you can buy waveform+ bundle for $150 but if you bought basic waveform and wanted essential effects it will cost you $150????? so the effects cost more than the daw? i mean there isn't even a discount for members. i came from sonar and flstudio and didn't want to buy the big version until i was happy. for me traction could of done a lot better with the effects they give you in the daw, instead of selling them separate. i can understand the nord instruments been sold separately but your effects are for your daw why try and sell to other daw users. bit narked as you can tell don't fancy buying effects which should be in program as standard. i think Traction should be very careful with their marketing as there is a lot of new contenders at a similar price giving a lot more for the money. but after all that said, i do love the daw :wink:

We noticed subscription models are really popular - would you like us to go that route ;)

We are working on a loyalty scheme so as we grow the number of products, it will be less confusing - but we have more exciting stuff on the todo list first - we think you will enjoy

The bundles work great for new customers joining the platform, but for multi generational users, we know it can get complicated - the number of possible combinations of product purchases means lots of upgrade/discount routes

We also sell our FX and instruments to other DAW users so individual prices can sit amongst the DAW bundles - which we encourage folk to choose (of course). This increases the potential market and revenue - and keeps us programming - you might not know this, but DAW's are not particularly profitable ventures due to the massive engineering overhead versus sales (Logic killed the prices in their battle with Avid years ago)

Game on :)
Tracktion Software Corporation

Thanks for the answer TSC, glad you listening and understand. On the other hand I see of course your point of view.

I dont know if that is a useable option but just from the intention from my case (think it is transferable to lot of "multi generational users", great term by the way, the 60+ of the daw world :lol: ) I would like for example to have the stuff I already bought separately (like Biotek or the mastermix bundle) just been included in the basic upgrade for 50 $.

So, just as a simple example, if I own Tx/wf8 I get wf9, if I own wf8 and biotek1 I get wf9 and biotek2 and so on. More as a general intention then as a concrete proposal, hope you get the general intention of it.

Of course it should be easy like the concept you are doing now but it should be fair in some way too.

And of course you should get a good living out of it for new great ideas (and not selling it so that it wont only run on an A machine and you spent the rest of your days on that wonderful tropical islan :clown: :clown:

Return to “Tracktion”