Difference between AGT and AGM?

Official support for: amplesound.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

well, it's clear, that AGL is a classic guitar with nylon strings, while AGT and AGM are western guitars with steel strings. But i can't tell whats the difference in characterics between these two (AGT+AGM) and for me it's not that easy to figure this out between the demo of AGM and the sample songs of AGT on youtube.

Can anybody help me with this? Because i guess i only need to buy one steel string library while they seem very similar and i can't decide which one.

Thanks!

For me:

AGM sounds ''more rich'' on the low-end side.

AGT is brighter to my ears. The steel strings are more present to my ears on this one.

Overall, my pick between the 2 is AGM. Also feel free to download and try for 7 days the full version of AGM here: http://www.amplesound.net/en/download.asp

It may help you in your Quest :)

Thanks a lot for your answer! I, too, would tend to the richer low-end. And it also matches my guess on the difference of those two, but i wasn't sure. I also already tried the AGM-demo, but it is hard to compare to songs of AGT on soundcloud and youtube layered between other instruments, where it also may have gone through some mix settings.

BUT:
Yesterday i also wrote to their support-mail-adress and they sent me an mp3 with a direct comparison, which makes the difference very clear : ) And it fits to what you wrote.

( ugh, "The extension mp3 is not allowed." in the attachement... great restriction on an audio board. so i uploaded it here: http://www.advanced-webmasters.com/_and ... Tstrum.mp3)

It shows sound samples in this order: AGM, AGT, AGM Strum, AGT Strum

Now i am thinking about needing both instruments : D i guess AGM fits better into the mix, where there is another higher instrument or vocals with it, while AGT fits better, where the guitar should be absolute in the foreground with its harder transients and higher overall sound. Mixing AGT with vocals would be much harder i guess.

after i realised that the main difference in sound from the sample above doesn't come from the guitar itself, but from the fact that AGM is played with fingers and AGT is played with pick, i asked them for another comparison with even playstyle, and they sent me this, which makes it comparable on equal conditions:
http://www.advanced-webmasters.com/_and ... T-Pick.mp3

Hmmm, difficult decision. But i think i still like AGM more, played with finger as well as played with pick. Beside having the thicker low-end i feel like it also has clearer high-end.

( The "(Exp)"-parts are only available through the expansions )

It also seems the tuning for last note on the chord differs between AGM and AGT, or am I wrong?!

Thanks for this very useful thread, although I didn't manage to hear the comparison demos. No sound!

I own both and have used both enough to intelligently respond here. Jason Washburn is absolutely correct but I would use different adjectives. AGM has a mellower sound, more "olde skool" and folksy/olde timey. It is most useful in a sparse mix. Probably the best choice for an acoustic guitar solo where the warmth is allowed to bloom through. I use it a lot in duets with a mandolin, for example. AGT has a much brighter, modern sound and cuts thru the mix better. It is best in a dense mix where there's lots of instruments vying for that precious low-mids space. The AGM would be too boomy for that (just like in real life). These assessments are true for both finger- and pick- styles. They are different enough that you would find uses for one or the other, depending on what else is going on. The AGSJ, however, is waayyy bright. Even more so than the AGT. I have experimented with it but have not yet found a place for it. I don't know, but it seems to be more of a specialty instrument to me, although I admit I probably just haven't found the piece for it to shine thru. In summary, they are each quite distinct and do not duplicate each other. If you had to choose only one, then either the AGM or AGT would be a good choice depending on how dense most of your mixes are.

Return to “Ample Sound”