MIDI Channel Routing Bug?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone. I think I've found a nasty bug in 2.1.3 but just wanted to see if there's something I'm missing before I submit a bug report. Here's what I've done:

1). Added a multi-program instance of UVI Falcon on an instrument track with a different MIDI channel input for each of the four programs.
2). Added four instrument tracks and routed them to Falcon, setting a corresponding MIDI channel for each of the four programs.
3). Armed the tracks with input monitoring for playback and record.

It usually works ok for a bit, but then loses/drops the connection between the controlling instrument tracks and the instrument with Falcon on it. If I'm looking at the Falcon track, I can see that when it's working it's receiving MIDI information. However, for no reason it all it'll just stop receiving that MIDI after a while (the visual indicator stops flashing) and Falcon doesn't play. I have to hit the record button on both the Falcon track and the 'control' track to kick it back into gear and get it working again. But it'll inevitably keep dropping out.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I've made a bunch of these multi-channel MIDI instruments to use and I'm unable to work with them.

Cheers,
Mark.

Ok, if this helps anyone else, I figured out where the issue is ... there seems to be a problem where the MIDI information from the control tracks is not 'telling' Falcon to wake up and play some sound when it's in Suspend Mode. A workaround is to disable the Auto Suspend.

That is actually a very old bug I forgot about since I hardly ever use multitimbral things.
Since multithreading in a DAW is per track, I find it often more efficient to have multiple instances of the instrument.
Be sure to send it to support!
Cheers,
Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Thanks Thomas! Yeah, I usually do it that way too, but I've been moving between machines using Falcon and have found it a lot less painful for Falcon to re-find a machine's sample locations when it's just one instance of the plugin, rather than a bunch of them. It's also very handy to make adjustments between different programs in a single multi, as they are all variations of the one texture. But yeah, will send it to support.

Hi Thomas! I heard back from Bitwig support and they say they can't reproduce my bug, and asked if I had experienced it with any other VSTis besides Falcon. I only use Falcon in this way but just thought I'd check in to see whether you experienced it with another VSTi? Cheers!

Back when this first came up I had it with Kontakt too, but I would need to try if it's still there and I guess more people would cry out about that one... ;-)
There were also a lot of problems initially with the "going to sleep" with plugins that don't need to receive anything to create output, like for instance sequencer and drum machines, since BWS did analyse what went into a plugin to determine if it should be awake.
I guess that initially the "side-chaining" of midi from another track directly into a VST was not taken into account properly.
Maybe make a video of your setup and routing to show them exactly what you are doing - sometimes it's in the details...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Thanks Tom! :)

Return to “Bitwig”