Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

pdxindy wrote:I'd so love to have the HZ resonator as a per voice effect... plus 1 eq...
There'll be a new module for it. Both in FX and per voice Grid.

It's called "Multi Scene Filter" and it does Resonator, EQ, Modal Body, Wah-Wah, Formant Filter, Filter-Bank and maybe some other stuff.

Urs wrote:There'll be a new module for it. Both in FX and per voice Grid.

It's called "Multi Scene Filter" and it does Resonator, EQ, Modal Body, Wah-Wah, Formant Filter, Filter-Bank and maybe some other stuff.
:tu: :clap:

Urs wrote:
pdxindy wrote:I'd so love to have the HZ resonator as a per voice effect... plus 1 eq...
There'll be a new module for it. Both in FX and per voice Grid.

:love: :love: :love:

Urs wrote:There'll be a new module for it. Both in FX and per voice Grid.

OMG, yes.... :wheee:

I haven't read all this thread, so I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before.

A long time ago (I don't know if on this forum or by E-mail) I asked Urs about a drum module for Zebra. That is, being able to fire a different sound for each note.

I love making drums with Zebra sound wise, but it is very annoying to write drum tracks with the instances of Zebra in different tracks (one for the kick, another for snare, and so on). Having some functionality to be able to fire different sounds for different notes would blow any other drum synth in the market IMO. I know this is not an easy task coding wise, I'm a developer myself. A simpler alternative could be to implement a note filter, and to be able to route notes to the 4 Zebra synthesis tracks.

I'd even gladly pay for a different U-he Drums plugin, if this was not feasible into Zebra itself.

You could kinda sorta do that with keymappers modulating various stuff... but there would have to be a lot more of them :D

A "short" summary of this thread after reading all 38 pages...

Price for Zebra2: 199$
Price for Zebra3: 249$
Upgrade V2->V3: 30$
Upgrade from Zebra2 + The Dark Zebra: Free

1- Zebra3 will be a completely new synth.
2- Current plan is to keep ZebraHZ on sale as is, with its own serial number. That way there'll always be product on sale that loads Zebra2 presets.
3- We'll keep Zebra2 alive (not for sale) for as long as technically viable and humanely possible, but there won't be any new features.

Z3 will have:
- an INIT button
- Wavetable Editor (as used to be, and even improved)
- multicore support
- more FMO Waveforms
- 4 OSC and 4 FMO - but both types closer together
- more flexible OSC stacking
- 4 universal LFOS, more versatile to remove the need of global LFO's
- scalable UI
- drag'n'drop module copying, even across instances
- improved reverb modules
- better distortion fx (may be multiband)
- saturator and lofi digital modules
- multiscene filter module (in voice and fx)
- drag and drop support for midi files (drag the pattern to DAW)
- sample to wavetable conversion
- some sort of preset search and meta sorting
- parameter locking (lock the parameters you dont want to change while switching presets (Arp, Fx, etc.)
- new (wide and good sounding) detuning

There are more "phantastic plans for Zebra3 which we are not going to share just yet. Where Zebra2 has a relatively unrivaled concept of workflow and modularity, our plans for Zebra3 go another quantum leap further."

Z3 will NOT have:
- Diva Filters (but something similar good with different character)
- Sampling
- Emulation/Simulation of named filters

Urs,
after reading all pages 2 questions remain to me:

1- Will we be able to use our custom Z2 waves and wavetables within Z3 OSC?

This is a very ambitious project, and we're starting to set up our resources and infrastructure for it. Before that however, we have to release as much of our backlog as possible.
2- Now that Bazille gets its final polishing, will Z3 be the next focus, or will something else come before? Your weekend project, or something even more unknown? :?:

Coorec wrote:Z3 will have:
maybe - an INIT button
certainly - Wavetable Editor (as used to be, and even improved)
maybe - multicore support
maybe - more FMO Waveforms
certainly - 4 OSC and 4 FMO - but both types closer together
certainly - more flexible OSC stacking
certainly - 4 universal LFOS,
probably - more versatile to remove the need of global LFO's
better than now - scalable UI
certainly - drag'n'drop module copying,
maybe - even across instances
certainly - improved reverb modules
already in Zebra 2.7 - better distortion fx
not - (may be multiband)
similar - saturator and lofi digital modules
certainly - multiscene filter module (in voice and fx)
maybe - drag and drop support for midi files (drag the pattern to DAW)
certainly - sample to wavetable conversion
probably - some sort of preset search and meta sorting
already in Zebra 2.7 - parameter locking (lock the parameters you dont want to change while switching presets (Arp, Fx, etc.)
certainly - new (wide and good sounding) detuning

As for timing our current roadmap looks like this:

- Bazille testing & preset design (ongoing)
- ACE update
- Diva UI improvements
- everything else update
- Presswerk feature completion, testing & preset design
- Bazille release
- Presswerk release

up until here we have a rough idea, from now on we can't begin to estimate when and in which order

Hopefully in 2014:

- various UI makeovers, maybe with new features (Uhbik, Filterscape)
- addition of a preferences pane for easier adjustments
- implementation of some sort of preset search facility
- a long promised magware synth
- Hive One (formerly known as weekend project) completion, testing and preset design
- implementation of various Z3 modules
- Z3 UI design

Hopefully in 2015:

- Z3 feature completion, testing and preset design
- all sorts of things

That's roughly what's on our plate. In addition we're going to work a lot on ourselves. Different team members work on different things from time to time, e.g. Basti reworks a lot of old UIs while we're chasing up bugs and Sascha might finally start to adapt a few things for Uhbik. The intern is all over the Polivoks, which might come in handy for a Diva update.

We'll see...

Urs wrote:- addition of a preferences pane for easier adjustments
Can you say a bit more about this? :)

EvilDragon wrote:
Urs wrote:- addition of a preferences pane for easier adjustments
Can you say a bit more about this? :)
I have always wanted to create a proper preferences pane. To switch latency on or off, to manage MIDI Learned parameters, to manage how some things work under the hood.

Of course I never got around to doing this, but it's getting more and more important.

Ok, so i took my time reading thru this thread and so did you to answer. Thx for shedding some light on old assumptions and for giving us an idea about the work that needs finishing before Z3 can go on its way.

I am a bit worried about the maybe in front of multicore support .. but on the other hand i never had performance problems with Z2 so far anyway.

An educating read it was as well. I didnt know about parameter locking in 2.7.

If you rent a bigger booth on Musikmesse 2015 for Z3 release, i will reward you with my presence - promise =)

Coorec wrote:I am a bit worried about the maybe in front of multicore support .. but on the other hand i never had performance problems with Z2 so far anyway.
Well, all our plug-ins are now multicore enabled to some degree, but only ACE, Bazille and Diva render synth voices in parallel threads. Those three of course are CPU hogs by definition and thus it's convenient to have. Other synths such as Zebra2, FilterscapeVA and Podolski should be well behaved enough to have the host figure out any threading.

Naturally, if Zebra3 gets to be a CPU hog too then we'll try to add a multicore option for parallel voice calculation. However, it makes the concept of modulation matrices a hell of a lot more difficult to implement. It may cost a lot more CPU and memory to do this.

We'll see :)

Voice per channel support ? :)

thetechnobear wrote:Voice per channel support ? :)
Very high up our priority list!

Return to “u-he”