Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Per-note random in Zebra2: Instead of the "rand hold" LFO waveform you can use "triangle". Set RESTART to "free" and Rate to very slow (10s).

Feature Request Zebra 3:

1. Modulation Matrix which shows "All" routings.

2. Modulation Matrix with the ability to mute routings.

Why ?
With Zebra/ZebraHZ 2.xx it's an horror to edit complex Presets.
You have to scroll up and down and press many many tabs to find and write down all the routings and then you have to mute them in the modules in an overcomplicated way in order to hear which modulation has which effect.
I have never seen such an complicated to use synth.
Thats the reason why I use ZebraHZ very seldom.
In Serum or Harmor for example I can see with one click which modulations are active and can imediatelly disable them to hear the result.

Well, the new ModMatrix as seen in Hive can mute individual slots. It'll be part of Zebra3.

Harmor and Serum are more like a Zebra osc or two with modulations added (Serum has a filter section I guess?), so they have the advantage of simplicity. They don't have elaborate routing options and selections of modules beyond what fits on a page. They are surely easier to use, but they are not nearly as powerful and flexible as they concentrate on one thing, with as much visual punch as possible.

Urs wrote:Well, the new ModMatrix as seen in Hive can mute individual slots. It'll be part of Zebra3.

Harmor and Serum are more like a Zebra osc or two with modulations added (Serum has a filter section I guess?), so they have the advantage of simplicity. They don't have elaborate routing options and selections of modules beyond what fits on a page. They are surely easier to use, but they are not nearly as powerful and flexible as they concentrate on one thing, with as much visual punch as possible.
Hi,
You are right with your statement, but Zebra 3 could be a bit more simple and more user friendly when it goes to edit complex presets.
Please don't forget that Zebra should be music instrument and not a scientific sound laboratory. Musicans and composers often want fast result which can be played in a harmonic manner.

With up to 5 or 6 modules on every side its o.k., but not with 15 on every side, then the horror with editing begins; there is no overview over the routings.
In Alchemy which is also rather complex, you have a menu where you can see all routings and can click to them.
So there exists intelligent solutions for editing complex presets.
I use Zebra regulary but don't edit to complex presets if its to time consumming.

Well, the point of Zebra is that you see the audio routing, and that whenever possible you reuse the same modulators for an array of modulations. This is more economic than the opposite paradigm where a synth has, say, an envelope, two LFOs and what not per each module or layer.

Anyhow, there's a long standing feature request for a widget that lets one see the targets of a modulator. As we showed during Superbooth, this is slowly falling into place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFKAdB30pL8

That said, naturally more complex patches are harder to understand. Part of mastering Zebra is to learn the modules so well that one needs fewer of them to accomplish the task. Nevertheless, if you need more the option is there.

I sold Serum because while wavetables are cool, it's just a basic synth in the end. (2 cool oscillators -> filter). Instead I got Bazille and Zebra.
Last edited by omiroad on Wed May 10, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

MorpherX wrote: I have never seen such an complicated to use synth.
Thats the reason why I use ZebraHZ very seldom.
In Serum or Harmor for example I can see with one click which modulations are active and can imediatelly disable them to hear the result.
+1 to clear list of modulation routings and mute ability for modulations

That said, as someone who's been using Harmor for years (and holds it in high regard), its patches can get fairly complex when using many envelopes. In articulation column, there are 31 parameters with 11 modulation envelopes each; in mapping, 12 parameters with 9 envelopes; in shaping column, 27 envelopes. While it is indicated in envelope selection menus which envelopes are in use, it is still a two-level process to access them and see their settings.
Add to that the settings on IMG and ADV pages, and it is possible to make patches that require checking majority of parameters to understand what is going on.

In general, I think when using modular or semi-modular synths one should accept that their flexibility can lead to more complexity, compared to synths with only few modules. Conceptually, it's sort of like composing for a full orchestra with composer free to select any instruments vs. composing for a small band whose instruments are pre-selected. Looking at orchestral scores made by highly skilled composers, it can take a long time to understand what's happening - sort of like going through a complex patch on a modular.

Well Urs said it better two messages above - strength of modulars is that if you need more, the option is there :)
Last edited by N__K on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote:Well, the new ModMatrix as seen in Hive can mute individual slots. It'll be part of Zebra3.

I disagree....that Serum is more easy to use. :D
But what i would like to see in Zebra is the great tools for editing MSEG like in Serum or the Cableguys stuff (maybe even more advanced). There are many things for better and faster workflow.
I still wait for a developer who gives me an option to enter maths for my own envelope shapes and save them to recall them later for other patches or similar things.
Or things like Omnisphere offers...an very easy and fast way to modulate or randomize just one or some points of an MSEG with another MSEG, LFO, velocity...or whatever.
Sure these things are maybe possible right now but not so fast and easy and with good visual feedback.
Edit: What i also miss in many synths is that when i modulate f.e. an LFO with another LFO i want to see the visual change directly on the LFO (Mitosynth for iOS does that f.e.) and how it effects it not only by hearing the effect. So that you see it more like an live oscilloscope.

Yeah, MSEG/waveform editing is the top priority for Zebra3.

I'm not sure about Omnisphere's envelope randomization feature, but I do think we have some great ideas for complex MSEG variations.

Maths formulas are currently beyond my comprehension.

An oscilloscope that also visualizes modulations is on the menu! (I forgot to put it in my preliminary module list, I shall do that now).

So if Zebra3 shall be the last word in Software Synthesis, I would like to see built in features to make each oscillator imperfect/analogue sounding with individual controls. By now I need to "waste" most of the LFO´s /the wavetable therefore:

Pitchdrift (like a LFO like Divas "Drift") ,or better phase fluctuations with optional steps in it->Character knob, with adjustable Speed/Amount/Character=LfoShape(Random tho).

An alternating Pitchdrift with a Step Sequencer like Divas "Detune".

Imperfect replications of the actual waveform (maybe on single cycles or morphing in short periods), like adding humps and curves (where are straight lines) and LP-filter/Waveshape (small) parts of a cycle.

Everything per oscillator.

I would love to have a synth with a knob called "Instability" which makes it imperfect and huge analogue sounding - maybe it fits for one of the parameters :D

Additionally a multimode filter would be cool where you not only have control over the frequency response but the character (algorhythm, impulse response?). So that in the ideal you could replicate (some of) the popular filter algorhythms/those you already use and even create some very unique ones and even abuse it.
I think there of the concept of ZRev, but more usable if possible.
This would ofc be a huge standalone plugin for itself, too.

Cheers

Urs wrote:Yeah, MSEG/waveform editing is the top priority for Zebra3.

I'm not sure about Omnisphere's envelope randomization feature, but I do think we have some great ideas for complex MSEG variations.

Maths formulas are currently beyond my comprehension.

An oscilloscope that also visualizes modulations is on the menu! (I forgot to put it in my preliminary module list, I shall do that now).
I think i can sleep good tonight now! :)

I actually quite like the Hive distortion effect, will something comparable be coming to Z3, or at least something *enhanced* from the distortion module it has now ? And the *Shaper* doesn't count, I don't really care for that except in extreme mode, and even then you have to remove too much high end to keep it from hissing and/or clipping it seems. I may have missed this request/answer earlier in this endless thread, and if so, please no hate pm's ha-ha :hihi:

Perimeter Sound wrote:I actually quite like the Hive distortion effect, will something comparable be coming to Z3, or at least something *enhanced* from the distortion module it has now ?
No in Zebra 3 there will be no distortion.. :roll: :hihi: :hihi:

I vote for several distortion and overdrive effects in Z3...

What's wrong with current Distortion module in Zebra?

I thought it would be a good time for it to fully succeed the old Shaper modules.

Return to “u-he”