Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Waiting for Zebra X :D

Quick question: are there plans to make it so that the main oscillators in Z3 can serve as FM carriers? This is something I always wished you could do in Z2. Sorry if this has already been answered/discussed; it's a pretty big thread :D

Sylnox wrote:Quick question: are there plans to make it so that the main oscillators in Z3 can serve as FM carriers? This is something I always wished you could do in Z2. Sorry if this has already been answered/discussed; it's a pretty big thread :D
There's a plan to make them FM carriers for actual FM rather than DX-style Phase Modulation.

Urs wrote:
Sylnox wrote:Quick question: are there plans to make it so that the main oscillators in Z3 can serve as FM carriers? This is something I always wished you could do in Z2. Sorry if this has already been answered/discussed; it's a pretty big thread :D
There's a plan to make them FM carriers for actual FM rather than DX-style Phase Modulation.
Oh, that sounds really cool! I'm so excited for Z3; you guys always do good work so I know it's gonna be awesome :)

Urs wrote:
So basically I will be able to FM osc1 from osc2 using the actual waveform of the ocs2 as the modulator, like, e.g., in Serum?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:like, e.g., in Serum?
I don't know how it works in Serum, but I guess that's how it would work.

Urs wrote: I don't know how it works in Serum
In the most straightforward way, one of the main oscillators, or the subosc, works as a modulator for another oscillator and the warp knob defines the FM amount.
Urs wrote: I guess that's how it would work.
Perfect :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I was poking around 2.8 today and it occurred to me that so much clutter could be removed if the mod-assign-knobs were removed and everything was just in a mod matrix. Things like oscillator modules could become half their height which would allow a lot more to be visible at the same time in the left pane. Put in a Serum style mod ring to indicate that a parameter is being modulated and maybe a third line in the data window that listed abbreviated modulators when the cursor was over a knob. I've more or less started doing everything in the mod matrix. It's so clear! Double bonus if math operators could be added as the second modulation source.

Overall though, the addition of the DotEight skin is awesome. It really makes Zebra so much more readable. As UI art goes, I'd give it an A+.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I think there are differences in how in-module modulations are processed vs mod matrix, so I don't think that's gonna change.

Aw man I love the mod-assign knobs!
- fast workflow
- saves a mod matrix slot
- reduces cognitive load working in the modules rather than the mod matrix.

I love the mod matrix, but for sound design it seems to help me to tweak in-module. I notice that it can be distracting to leave the module and go set up a mod matrix parameter.

Notice it even more when wanting to edit a sound. When I go to a huge mod matrix it takes a min to orient myself to what needs tweaked.

I realize we each work differently, but other hands-on people (kinesthetic thinkers) might have similar experience. So for me it’s great that Zebra has both.

clangorous wrote:Aw man I love the mod-assign knobs!
- fast workflow

I love the mod matrix, but for sound design it seems to help me to tweak in-module. I notice that it can be distracting to leave the module and go set up a mod matrix parameter.

Notice it even more when wanting to edit a sound. When I go to a huge mod matrix it takes a min to orient myself to what needs tweaked.

I realize we each work differently, but other hands-on people (kinesthetic thinkers) might have similar experience. So for me it’s great that Zebra has both.
Well all righty then. It just seems so much easier to bring up the matrix pane and start assign-dragging and it's all right there! In a list! Imagine how much better it would be if you could double the amount of modules you could see on screen at one time?

Carry on.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

clangorous wrote:Aw man I love the mod-assign knobs!
- fast workflow

I'm with clangorous on this. Except I don't love the mod matrix, I simply tolerate it. :wink:

There's no simple answer to it.

Hi! Bought Zebra after fiddling around with cheap hardware and free software synths forever; a couple months later and it's STILL what I'm thinking about like 50% of the time, haha. So thanks for that!

Forgive me if this is already possible and I just haven't figured it out, but one feature I'd love to see in Zebra 3 if not sooner: the option to display units in the central data display (Hz, seconds, etc.) as I change parameters.

I know how to work backwards from the manual to figure out, for example, the length of the attack on an envelope, or the frequency of a filter's cutoff. But, it'd be cool if that information could be displayed right in front of me as I turn a knob. I think it'd make precision a lot easier when a patch calls for it, and, for science-y types like myself, it'd make some of the less immediately intuitive controls easier to wrap one's head around.

And if this is not the right place for this comment, forgive me for that as well. Thanks!

Tip for Z2: Learn to trust/distrust your ears instead of worrying about numbers :-)

Return to “u-he”