slow response times?

Official support for: energy-xt.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, that is a really HUGE VSTPlugins folder... :roll:
Hmmm, In this case I would probably accept 5 secs as what it needs to build the context menu. Especially the number of sub folders is really astonishing...
Maybe you could speed up by restructuring. Probably less stuff on 1st level...
I do not know the structure of your VSTPlugins folder, but if there is already a lot on this 1st level, than this might possibly help...

but ext1 doesn't go slow at all.? so xt2 must do things slightly different?
even my small vst folder takes a few seconds.
i've been doing all the speed up win7 tips i can find too.still not making any difference.:(

spacedad wrote:first off,it's great to see some movement here,thanks jorgen.

i'm on win7 and usually sketch things up on ext1 then bounce and finish in xt2.
but this time i thought i'd start a new sketch in xt2:

i'm getting slow response times when starting a new project right clicking and takes 12 seconds to come up with the selection list.
same when right clicking on sequencer tracks to add instruments.
is this happening to everyone or could it be a win7 optimising thing i need to do?
it's too frustrating to use atm.
(these tasks are instant in xt1 btw).
hope someone has some advice.
(just checked in task manager:xt2 reports 50% cpu,xt1 01% when these simple tasks are made)

If you haven't solved this, perhaps you could be a bit more specific, along the lines of 'right clicking' - right clicking what exactly. It might make a difference.

I would doubt that this is a win7 optimisation issue if you are not having this problem in other programs.

You have a bad install of XT2 I would say. My first install of XT2 was EXACTLY like this, on win7 too. I cut it out. Changed the name. Moved it to another folder. Started from scratch. My VST plugs were still in the same place (and boy it is a massive one) but for some reason things just started working better. I was almost in tears after first trying XT2 on my new win7 system. I didn't change anything in the program as such, just started again from scratch with a new .ini.

Sorry if this is a bit of a 'why don't you try switching it off and then turning it back on again' kind of post, but you know...

I don't know exactly what I did to solve my problem. All I know is that my XT2 was unsusable at the time, and now, well now, it is like the proverbial shit off a blanket - loads in 2 seconds, renders files in 2 seconds with shortcuts on the keyboard. It flies and is super stable.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Give some specific example if you are still having problems.

1: What is the start up time of XT2? (It shouldn't be more than a couple of seconds)
2: How long does it take for a typical low key VST to load (say Synth1 or something)
3: Be more specific about the right clicking - exactly on what?

~Edit:
I'm confused. Have you solved the problem? Is the right click just to do with your VST folder?

thanks codec,
1.startup is less than 1 sec.
2.synth1 loads in a sec.
3.right clicking the blank background in modular mode or blank space lefthand on a track (in sequencer)

deleting my ini,solved it.lightning fast.but if i add my vst folder again,it takes 4-5 secs for context menu to appear when rightclicking background in modular mode or track in sequencer.
with my old ini it was taking 13 secs.

i could try and reinstall XT2 to another folder to test it.
thanks i'll try tomorrow.

spacedad wrote:thanks codec,
2.synth1 loads in a sec.
3.right clicking the blank background in modular mode or blank space lefthand on a track (in sequencer)

deleting my ini,solved it.lightning fast.but if i add my vst folder again,it takes 4-5 secs for context menu to appear when rightclicking background in modular mode or track in sequencer.

One of the good things about XT2 is, I think, I am not sure, it doesn't mess about with your registry, it is fairly self contained.

So, back up what you have. What you need from your current install.

Create a new folder with a new name, install again to here.

Start again.

Oh, and for each of these steps, go the extra mile of turning your machine off and on again.

Like I said, my problem was solved by messing about like this. Moving or pruning your VST folder is not going to solve this.

2.synth1 loads in a sec.

Why don't you open your .ini file in notepad and paste it up here for us to have a look at. There could be something obvious in there that can be fixed.

I have observed some strange behaviour with ini files with XT myself so it is not so straightforward. And of course, when you do get a good working version, back that mofo up. Back it up twice. XT is fond of crashing and taking the whole lot down with it - it doesn't happen very often, but when it does - boy is it a pain in the arse. Back up your .ini.

just did what you said,new folder,new ini etc and fine until i add my vstplugs folder,then it takes 4-5secs to show context menu.

my ini;
[version]

releaseDate=20140506

[template]

last=0

[options]

savePosAndSize=1

page=4

width=160

time=1

monitor-volume=100

part-outline=1

check-updates=1

oem-splach=1

tempaudiofolder=

modular-tab-always-show=1

dft=1

showHint=1

rec-latency=0

bounce-selection=0

invert-mouse-wheel-zoom=0

editor-tabs-menu=1

track-noteh=8

editor-noteh=8

[VSTFolders]

C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTplugins=VSTplugins

[audio]

buffersize=256

samplerate=44100

device=0

deviceRec=-1

driver=0

[editor]

maximized=0

left=100

top=100

width=960

height=640

[browser]

previewVolume=60

previewHeight=56

[file mapper]

visible=0

[metronome]

enabled=1

mode=6

beats=4

volume=80

[sequencer]

autoq=0

prog.tabs=144

codec_spurt wrote:
2.synth1 loads in a sec.

Oh, and for each of these steps, go the extra mile of turning your machine off and on again.

Like I said, my problem was solved by messing about like this. Moving or pruning your VST folder is not going to solve this.
Well, if having or not having the VST folder in the ini makes the big difference, then I really would suspect that the ONLY way to solve this problem is to somehow rearrange the VST folder. Temporarily move big folders out of it an see what happens and the like. Or start with a fresh VST folder. But this is more painful, since at least some VSTs must be uninstalled and reinstalled to the new one again. No clue, what XT2 does different from XT1 in this regard, but it obviously does it different - if possibly only slightly.

And: You never need to restart the machine when installing energyXT. energyXT does exactly nothing in the registry, it doesn't register with any other components on the computer at the time of installation. The installer just simply copies files to a directory and nothing more. Only thing to consider on Win7 and above: energyXT needs to have full access to folders and files in the installation directory. This is a painful experience for novices.

Good luck, spacedad.

Edit:
I couldn't find any other suspicious stuff in you ini. It's really clean, thus I guess it's already the new one where you 'only' get 4-5 secs...

thanks for checking the ini.
much appreciate the help guys.

spacedad wrote:thanks for checking the ini.
much appreciate the help guys.
I don't think the problem is with your VST folder, like I said, mine is a whopper and it loads pretty fast.

Well, I checked the .ini. Doesn't seem too different to mine. Except for...

Here is a bit of my .ini that you don't seem to have (I give it just as an example) -

------------------------------------------

[ProjectFolders]

D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2=EnergyXT2

[recent-plugins]

0=MUtility.dll

1=MMultiBandDelay.dll

2=MNoiseGenerator.dll

3=MAnalyzer.dll

4=MDynamicEq.dll

5=IQ4gui.dll

6=MCompressor.dll

7=Tattoo.dll

8=MMultiBandConvolution.dll

9=MMultiBandReverb.dll

10=PanCake2.dll

11=MEqualizer.dll

12=fr33some.dll

13=24db-4-Band.dll

14=c3multibandcomp_1_2.dll

15=Voxformer.dll

16=Elephant.dll

[recent-instruments]

0=Blue2.dll

1=Blue-LE.dll

2=Artillery2 CM Edition.dll

3=RG-Muted_CM.dll

4=Tremor.dll

5=sforzando VST_x86.dll

6=V-Station.dll

7=Bass-Station.dll

8=Bass-Station-Stereo.dll

9=MUtility.dll

10=RMV.dll

11=retromine_v01.dll

12=trominegt_v03.dll

13=trominez_v14.dll

14=tromine_v11.dll

15=Battery 3.dll

16=FL Studio VSTi.dll

[recent]

0=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\=TEMPLATES=\=DEFAULT TEMPLATES=\DR-DEVICE-AUTO-FX-REC.xt

1=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\=TEMPLATES=\+BEST eXT2 VST TEMPLATES+\DR-DEVICE.xt

2=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-Valhalla-3.xt

3=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-Valhalla-Shimmer-2.xt

4=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-Valhalla-Shimmer.xt

5=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-Valhalla-2.xt

6=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-Valhalla.xt

7=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-Valhalla-Uber-Mod.xt

8=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-TAL-Rev-3.xt

9=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-KR-Reverb.xt

10=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-VerbTone.xt

11=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-Eos-2.xt

12=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28-Eos.xt

13=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\BLUE\BLUE-28.xt

14=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\=TEMPLATES=\BLUE-SOUND-DESIGN\BLUE-SOUND-DESIGN-2.xt

15=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\=TEMPLATES=\BLUE-SOUND-DESIGN\BSD-WILD-Bass-line.xt

16=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\=TEMPLATES=\BLUE-SOUND-DESIGN\BSD-WILD-Bass-4.xt

17=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\=TEMPLATES=\BLUE-SOUND-DESIGN\BSD-WILD-Bass-3.xt

18=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\=TEMPLATES=\BLUE-SOUND-DESIGN\BSD-WILD-Bass-5.xt

19=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\=TEMPLATES=\BLUE-SOUND-DESIGN\BSD-WIRE-Bass.xt

20=D:\MUSIC\EnergyXT2\=TEMPLATES=\BLUE-SOUND-DESIGN\BSD-pH-AT-Bass.xt

[recent-effects]

0=CamelPhat3.dll

1=ValhallaRoom.dll

2=ValhallaVintageVerb.dll

3=MDE-X.dll

4=Ricochet.dll

5=ADverb.dll

6=Poor Plate.dll

7=RP-AMod.dll

8=ValhallaUberMod.dll

9=TAL-Reverb-3.dll

10=KR-Reverb FS.dll

11=MMultiBandReverb.dll

12=Freeverb3VST_Freeverb.dll

13=Verbtone.dll

14=Eos.dll

15=ValhallaShimmer.dll

16=TAL-Reverb-2.dll

-----------------------------------------

Now, I am sure it is nothing, but I find it odd that these weren't in your .ini at all. That should have a lot more info in it if you have used XT2 at all.

Can you download Process Monitor
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb896645

------------------------
Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.
--------------------------------

Run that for a minute while you start XT and do what you are talking about with the right click stuff. It's not difficult. It will create a log file and it might point to the problem.

Spacedad, can you tell me exactly what this right clicking thing is?

It really would help. Is this the only time the program is slow? Does XT2 work at all apart from this? Is this the only time the slowness happens?

You need to go into boring detail to explain it.

yes,everything is working fine,except the slowness when right-clicking the background to select a sequencer/synth/arp etc.
or right-clicking to add a midi/audio/drum track in the sequencer.

startup is quick vst loading is quick.
just to add a new track or vst is so slow for menu to appear.

so load eXT,right click left panel in sequencer or background of modular view and time how long the menu takes to appear,4-5 secs.

choosing my 'mini' vstplugs folder instead and it's almost instant.
i'm rebuilding my win7 'index' atm,see if that helps.
i've made sure it's folder is set to 'general' inc sub folders.
maybe certain file types slow it down?
it would help if i new what eXT is actually scanning for when you right-click.

spacedad wrote: it would help if i new what eXT is actually scanning for when you right-click.
Download Process Monitor from the link I gave and just run it long enough while you load XT2 and do the right click thing.

Stop it. Then find the log file and post it. PM if it is too big - these things can take a massive amount of info so not practical to post I suppose.

That way I can get a better idea of what is happening when you do this right click thing.

Yep - it's weird.

Return to “energyXT”