sfz Open Source Drum Kit Project: 600 MB download from Real Music Media

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

RunBeerRun wrote:I'm just checking this out now, my impressions; excellent sounding kit, tuning of heads, mic placement, all turned out great.

I'm just dropping in the wavs.
Thanks!

RunBeerRun wrote:excellent sounding kit, tuning of heads, mic placement, all turned out great.
I agree. Almost have a full layered kit now, it is starting to sound very good. I will be done with it tomorrow. (I hope)

And btw.. A BIG THANKS to herodotus and Realsamples for your work!

What a nice kit. What a nice idea.

I dl'ed it a couple of days ago, but I only got round to checking it out today. I particularly like the toms and the kick, which are lovely - very "musical", if you know what I mean.

So thank you.

The gong samples sound familiar, actually. Did you post them on KVR before, maybe a couple of years ago?

td

P.S. I did watch the video! And I liked it. Particularly the "air recorder" moment :)

Baard wrote:
RunBeerRun wrote:excellent sounding kit, tuning of heads, mic placement, all turned out great.
I agree. Almost have a full layered kit now, it is starting to sound very good. I will be done with it tomorrow. (I hope)
I look forward to trying it out.

And btw.. A BIG THANKS to herodotus and Realsamples for your work!
Freeware is the lifeblood of our community. One must give as well as receive, and I use a lot of freeware.

I think this is a great initiative, looking forward to the fully mapped out versions. Perfect timing since I'm looking at building a ghetto drumkit for sample triggering at home :)

Hi all. I havent had time to finish anything yet. Had quite a week at work. I will try to get it done some time during the weekend.

This is by no means some "definite version". Its just my mappings programmed in the way I found natural. I have used very little RR, and mostly mapped the samples out to as many velocity layers as there are samples. If someone could map out the rimshot and sidestick in a similar manner and post it here, it would be 99% complete. (The mappings from SWTrex are very good indeed, but doesnt utilize all samples, and uses more RR than I'd prefer.)

With that said, I havent done the snare_buttend, and snare_off. The first I have problems finding the right velocity levels for layering the top and bottom mic. I also had this issue with the Floor Tom, but I kinda sorted that one out.

The great thing about this is that anyone is able to improve the mappings and share it. :)

BTW.. I have done this kit, and many other free kits in an universal mapping that makes it really easy to combine them. (i.e. a kit with GSCW Cymbals and Toms, OSDK Kick and Snare). Ill share these as well when I have tested them some more and written some documentation, if anyone is interested. The universal mappings are very GM/NSkit compatible.

Baard wrote:
The great thing about this is that anyone is able to improve the mappings and share it. :)

:)

This is the same sampleset that was given for free with each purchase of RMM loops libraries, right? If so, I've already resampled/converted/mapped the samples to make them work with e-mu software samplers, wich include the free proteusvx. If it's ok, I will be glad to upload this library on some file hosting site (after the resampling to 44100/16 it's around 130MB). Let me know :)

This is a great project guys :D!

Another very good free sfz editor

http://audio.clockbeat.com/sfZed.html
stay juicy!

Well, I finally got my act together and finished a kit. I hosted it at my site [link removed, see http://realmusicmedia.net/osdrumkit/ instead]. Please ignore the fact that it is a very sterile Google page, partly in norwegian. I too am tired of writing html, and Google Pages was a quick way to share a christmas project I did with a friend.

Feedback, edits and suggestions for things to change are most welcome!

EDIT: Old link removed.
Last edited by Baard on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey, I just want to say "THANK YOU!!!!" :-)

I really appreciate this kind of generosity!

You guys are all wonderful and kind. Thank you for working on such a noble project. :hug:

--Sean

Well, since Herodotus said "The samples and the mappings are completely in the public domain" i think that a conversion to a different format is ok.

so here it is:
The Open Source Drum Kit converted for the free ProteusVx

I did this conversion some time ago, but i've improved that a bit in these days, to give the users some more useful features. I've also written a little manual.

Bear in mind that i've resampled all files, so now they are in 44.1/16 format and the whole library is around 140MB (around 70MB compressed), an the archive is splitted in three parts (you will need the free 7zip to extract the library)

part1 mirror
part2 mirror
part3 mirror

I did a short demo to show you what this library sounds like (not dry sounds though)

Here is the link for the MANUAL, wich also contains the demo, the midifile of the demo and a reaper drum map for this kit

once again, many thanks to Herodotus for making these samples available to the community :)
Last edited by gvnz on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Free proteus Vx sounds:1/2/3

Very nice release gvnz! DLing it now. I didnt know of the ProteusVX, so thanks for that as well. Love the manual, and looking forward to hear your mappings!

EDIT: Just had a listen.. Your crash is very good!! Could you please share how you did your mapping? Our kits are somewhat different, but one can hear that its the same kit. I am still working on mine tho, expect some updates this week. I am focusing on splitting up the samples for right and left hand without too much phasing problems. I am also working on some demos, this kit is really good, even untreated.

Cant get your demo to work btw.. DLs fine, but wont play in winamp, nor browser.

Thankyou Baard! :)

for the crash, i made a translation to the sfz format (no samples, just the mapping)

About the demo... i don't know :shrug: works fine on my pc, but i re-exported it anyway at a lower bitrate, the links in my post are now updated, please try again and let me know. What about the midi file in the "manual" .zip file?

8)

Thanks gvnz!! I am working on a new version today, and I will include your mapping in it. I also have some problems mapping the floor tom, I dont understand which bottom samples that belongs to the top samples, as the naming is different than the other toms. Any hints on this are most welcome!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”