Speaker Simulation For Mixing Down/Mastering?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Headphone Mix

After just spending little over a grand on my initial set up consisting of a MBP, Akai MPK25 and pair of HD25's I no longer have the funds for a set of monitors or an audio interface. So for the next few months I'm going to have to use my trusty cans to master any tracks I make.

I've read on here you can get decent speaker simulators (although nowhere near as good as the monitors and interface I'm saving for), has anyone had any encounters with these simulators or will be able to push me in the right direction?

Cheers in advance.

You have £10/$10 don't you. Get a little crappy phone speaker dock.

If it works on good headphones and a crappy grot box, you're a long way there.

To answer to question directly though, I've seen this:
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/vrm-box

Or for a strictly software solution there is this:
https://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/

I'm not aware of something that simulates car interiors though.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

TB Isone is also good. no car speakers, but a few presets are decidedly odd sounding, like what would it sound if your neighbours played your music out loud. you could probably simulate a car environment though.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I've been working on a track and using another artists work as reference to try and get the right sound, but because the two tracks are dissimilar it's difficult to tell, at times it sounds like the track I'm working on is fine but other times it sounds like it needs tweaking.

I've downloaded Beyerdynamics free simulator but it sounds like there's far too much reverb to be in a studio and the 'in car' mode sounds like it's all bass.

That Focusrite VRM box looks like a decent bit of kit and can be had off Gumtree for £30, but...and it's a big but...on Focusrite's site they're saying it's not really compatible with Intel i-series chipsets and many people have encountered problems.

I like Redline Monitor for casual listening and Isone for more specific applications.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

As others already mentioned, try TB Isone for free, and fork out €20 for it if you like it.

Be sure to listen through your MBP speakers now & then to see if the bass translates, and to get a sense of how it will sound to the vast majority of people.

You should check this,simulate speaker feelings on your headphone
http://www.supremepiano.com/product/head.htm

Gavvo wrote:After just spending little over a grand on my initial set up consisting of a MBP, Akai MPK25 and pair of HD25's I no longer have the funds for a set of monitors or an audio interface. So for the next few months I'm going to have to use my trusty cans to master any tracks I make.

I've read on here you can get decent speaker simulators (although nowhere near as good as the monitors and interface I'm saving for), has anyone had any encounters with these simulators or will be able to push me in the right direction?

Cheers in advance.
Whats better then any simulation is the real thing.

Go outside the studio and use your TV, boom box, car stereo, anything you can find.

This will accomplish 2 things:

1. Getting a fresh view outside the studio.
2. Getting to listen on a plethora of systems.

The alternative is to just play it on every set of speakers you have.

Play it on your phone, play it in your car, play it through laptop speakers, play it through your TVs sound system, etc.

Just because you can't play it on a decent set of studio monitors doesn't mean you can't test it through speakers that other people will be using. It's amazing how often you find it sounds terrible played through one particular set of speakers when it sounded fine elsewhere (where it's not through the fault of the speakers)

Gavvo wrote:....
That Focusrite VRM box...on Focusrite's site they're saying it's not really compatible with Intel i-series chipsets and many people have encountered problems.
Strange, the i-series chipsets comprise the majority of Windows systems out there, so that's a lot of supposedly problematic systems for such a popular unit.

BTW, no problems here. Works perfectly on my i-series based system.

(Edit: On further investigation, the problems mentioned seem to be with certain Macs).

Something else to consider... the VRM box has apparently been discontinued (at least, here in the states).

Second the VRM-Box. Easier than 112db redline and TB-Isone and comes with mighty presets.
Keep in mind though that if you want to use it as more than reference monitoring (USB) you need a s/pdif connection:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr11/a ... vrmbox.htm
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”