Linux EXT?

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

insane wrote:Linux still 6 or 7 cds to install?? I remember being interested in trying but that always leave me away of it.. maybe now is different ..hope so..
Why not try Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/

It's only 1 cd. Pretty nice distro. Easy to install and use. Very busy and friendly user forum at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

It's reasonably light on the computer too - I installed it on an old klunker P3-700 here (just to test) and it runs great (my main Ubuntu box is a Athlon 64 3500+). It uses apt/Synaptics for package management, so it's dead easy to install most things.

I've also got Fedora4, Mandriva 2005LE, SUSE 10.0 and PCLinuxOS installed on other boxes, and I tend to end up using Ubuntu the most, tho Fedora4 is my second favorite.

EDIT:
500 mhz pc with 32 ram?
On the other hand, 32mb of ram is probably just not enough for anything, except maybe something like DSL (damn small linux) or similar.
Last edited by futz on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jorgen wrote:Working hard on a preview version so that devs can start coding and testing native linux vst in xt2 before the initial release.
Ooo... Just noticed this. As a dev (albeit a fairly esoteric freeware guy :wink:), I'd like to register my interest in porting my current plugins to linux.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is the guis - at the moment all my plugins use VSTGUI (though I intend to move to a simpler OpenGL-based gui for future plugins), and as far as I know (never actually tried), this won't work natively on linux (I've noticed a MOTIF #define, but I think it's extremely unlikely any MOTIF stuff will have been updated recently). Do you have any plans to get around this, or is the only option to port the gui to another widget toolkit?

If that's the case, it will probably be too costly in terms of time for me to port my current plugins fully (I might release some of the simpler ones wthout guis, but the more complex ones tend to rely on their guis quite heavily). I will make sure that my VSTGL framework builds on linux though, so my future plugins should get a full port.

Anyway, I'll be watching your progress carefully :).

- Niall at ndc Plugs.

Not one but two vst demo standalones and with jack......

Pity I don't know how to use xt....yet! :hihi:
Looks like I shall have fun tonight, learning time. :wink:

Probably works in Receptor too, as a sequencer! :P

:D fake
You cant beat people up then have them say "I love you"

Lump wrote:
insane wrote:Linux stills 6 or 7 cds to install??
openSUSE 10.0 is distributed on 5 CDs, but the openSUSE JackLab Audio Distribution will be based on SUPER minimal, so this will be only 1 CD with a special audio kernel, lots of audioapps and a minimal Windowmanager (my favorite is e17, www.get-e.org). The openSUSE JAD will be fully compatible to the main openSUSE distri, so it is easy to expand it via APT.
OpenSUSE Jacklab????
I love Suse but it was nasty for audio do i dumped it in favour of AGNULA DeMuDi; Now i have upgraded to sixty four bit, I am using a beta of 64-Studio, based on pure 64 Debian, and it is very nice, but my install keeps crapping out.
Will this project be released in a 64bit flavour?
also, will APT be installed by default? 'cause i had trouble compiling it on suse 9.1.
Anyway, sounds great, and i will keep my eye out.
cheers :D
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

~"Actually, I'm surprised Win98 runs at all, at 32 MB. More is better, even for older versions of Windows. "

"EDIT:
Quote:
500 mhz pc with 32 ram?

On the other hand, 32mb of ram is probably just not enough for anything, except maybe something like DSL (damn small linux) or similar."

i use this old computers, than no one (friends) cares about anymore, so i keep them (and for free :D ) , as an instruments, creating sounds, to later export to other machine , sometimes i can even do something really minimal..
i was thinking in using one of them just to try linux.. cus im not familiar with it yet,
32 ram, yeah , win98se its damn "light" , compared to windowsXP , its ugly ..ok, but very simple.. in one laptop i have like that i have one old photoshop version , works like a charm, the m.office that its installed is very fast too (some old version ) ..got an .. theres a lot others audio aplications that work very well .. it can be done a lot in old machines..of course sometimes its such a pain working with them..

insane wrote:Linux stills 6 or 7 cds to install?? i remember being insterested in trying but that always leave me away of it.. maybe now is different ..hope so..
UBUNTU is just one CD. You can burn a Live CD and run it from your CD drive to see how well it detects all your hardware, etc before you go to the trouble of reformatting your hard-drive and stuff. Its the perfect way to see if Linux will work on your old machine and its a 640Mb download.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

fake wrote:
Probably works in Receptor too, as a sequencer! :P

:D fake
I tried it when I had my Receptor and it didn't run. It would reset the thing.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to compile Wine on Ubuntu. :( I installed Suse last week and then tried Ubuntu and fell in love with it, then I looked for a binary for Wine (AMD64) and can't find one. So, I tried to compile my own and it craps out. Dang. I wish I knew more about how to do this stuff. Maybe I'll try the 32bit distro instead?

Linux is pretty fun. :) Can't wait to see Linux-eXT. :)
Death to all dongles!

CrownRoyal wrote:looked for a binary for Wine (AMD64) and can't find one. So, I tried to compile my own and it craps out. Dang. I wish I knew more about how to do this stuff. Maybe I'll try the 32bit distro instead?
It's in the repositories in the 32bit version. Synaptic is the easy way to install it. I have no experience with the 64 bit. If I didn't keep reading reasons not to switch, I'd do it.

Z3R0T0N1N wrote: OpenSUSE Jacklab????
I love Suse but it was nasty for audio
Thats a kernel item. Our team find out how to make a very performant realtime audio kernel for SuSE ( http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/RT_Ke ... structions )- with this kernel the audio performance is the same as on DeMuDi. But: For the final distribution there will be a different user realtime management named PAM instead of the obsolet RT-LSM.
Z3R0T0N1N wrote:Will this project be released in a 64bit flavour?
Maybe, if we found some maintainers managing this. But 64bit has much limitations now - be shure, w32.dll wrapped with any VST handler wil not work and many other things. i recommend a 32bit version on 64bit system now.
Z3R0T0N1N wrote:also, will APT be installed by default? 'cause i had trouble compiling it on suse 9.1.
Yes apt is by default now in openSUSE integrated, you only have to update the sources.list - and a very huge repository of free suse software builders are ready to serve any longings. Also Synaptic as GUI for APT is integrated

Last edited by insane on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks, im downloading ubuntu (strange name) right now, if we can test i directly from the cd drive .. thats perfect, like that i can try it on my other powerfull machine..lets see if i can undertsant a thing about it.. .. great to see there mirrors on the site to many countries too..

Lump wrote:
Z3R0T0N1N wrote: OpenSUSE Jacklab????
I love Suse but it was nasty for audio
Thats a kernel item. Our team find out how to make a very performant realtime audio kernel for SuSE ( http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/RT_Ke ... structions )- with this kernel the audio performance is the same as on DeMuDi. But: For the final distribution there will be a different user realtime management named PAM instead of the obsolet RT-LSM.
Z3R0T0N1N wrote:Will this project be released in a 64bit flavour?
Maybe, if we found some maintainers managing this. But 64bit has much limitations now - be shure, w32.dll wrapped with any VST handler wil not work and many other things. i recommend a 32bit version on 64bit system now.
Z3R0T0N1N wrote:also, will APT be installed by default? 'cause i had trouble compiling it on suse 9.1.
Yes apt is by default now in openSUSE integrated, you only have to update the sources.list - and a very huge repository of free suse software builders are ready to serve any longings. Also Synaptic as GUI for APT is integrated
very cool, man. thanks for the info :D :D :D
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

insane wrote:thanks, im downloading ubuntu (strange name) right now, if we can test i directly from the cd drive .. thats perfect, like that i can try it on my other powerfull machine..lets see if i can undertsant a thing about it.. .. great to see there mirrors on the site to many countries too..
Ummm... You're downloading the Live CD? I'm not totally sure about this, but I don't think you can install from the live cd. If you decide to install after testing with the live disk, then you'll have to download the Install disk.

Again, I could be wrong. But there must be a reason that when you order free disks from Ubuntu, they send em in pairs - one Live CD and one Install CD per package.

You are correct but it is still a lot less effort than trying to do an install and finding out that your graphics card, or network, or ADSL modem or something is not supported, is it not?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

yes i downloaded liveCD, and its no problem for me to download the installcd too, they have mirrors , the download is fast , no problem at all, i couldn´t try it yet cus i don´t have any cd to burn here right now(and yesterday).. but i will for sure, im reading more about linux and im thinking like many others, "mmmm, if only that or that aplication could run on linux..."

Return to “energyXT”