What VSTi can I get to sound like this bass guitar?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

that synth1 example sounds like only one sampled note of a bass guitar spread across the octave. :lol: haaha fast tracker times

No, it sounds pretty good overall. There is some weakness in the upper end that I can't seem to work around (or you can get a good upper, then the bottom sounds weak), but for a synth - it's very good. I actually made a track of my fave '67 Rick with fairly fresh strings to compare against while designing this patch, and although Synth1 can't get all the tones of a real Rick, it can get close to many and very nicely at that. Hehe, but the trick is figuring out how to create this patch! THAT'S the tricky part, because it's not about the synth - it's about the programming. I'm sure many other good synths could good do the same in the right hands. I'm very happy with the results, and have received some nice comments about it as well. Synth1 can do it! Besides, you'll never know 'til you try!
Last edited by SciFiArtMan on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Highvoltage wrote:that synth1 example sounds like only one sampled note of a bass guitar spread across the octave. :lol: haaha fast tracker times
Agreed. :lol:

Glad you both agree it sounds like a real sampled Rick bass! Since I only play about a P5 range throughout the whole song, the "spread across" comment has no bearing. Surprising enough, the Synth1 patch does have an interesting range and nice evolving sonic character over about an octave and a half. It can get quite gutteral on the low notes. The upper notes are a problem. Also, you can adjust the tone from very metallic to softer and more muted, and all with no added processing beyond Synth1. You can even get a pretty good fretless tone, but not the fretless style of playing! It's good for what it does. But to really know you'd have to try it and see!

benjamind wrote:AAS String Studio is a go-to for basses, and electric guitars and even acoustic guitars. The best sounds are the basses, but everything else is great too. Really nice rich sound. Unlike anything else out there. I am demoing it right now, have been for quite a while now, I plan on getting it (the modelling collection) when Tassman is updated. I have yet to hear any VST that produces such smooth and realistic bass lines. I love the guitars, but the bowed instruments are quite nice in their own way, not completely realistic but a very organic real-world sound and easy to play smooth note transitions. That's the beauty of physical modelling. Right now I wouldn't even bother with sample libraries. They are good if they are used within their limits but they just don't have the fluid dynamics and smooth note transitions that physical modelling synthesizers do so easily.

Ben
So Benjamind, no AAS example? Next time, maybe you should be ready to back up your claims. I want to hear why I "shouldn't even bother with sample librarys," because they don't have the "fluid dynamics and smooth note transistions that physical modelling synthesizers do so easily." :roll:

CptanPanic posted a clip of a punk bass line asking if anyone knew of any VSTs that could replicate it's picking style. I recommended a sampler (Trilogy) and posted a clip. So far there have been several suggestions for synths claiming that they can do more realistic bass sounds than a sampler. So prove it. I have yet to hear a synth do anything that even comes close to the clip that the cptan posted. I'm starting to think that either nobody has even tried to recreate this sound with a synth and they are just talking out of their asses, they didn't listen to the original clip, or they are all half deaf. :lol:

Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to use a vst for a punk bass line. (since when did VST instruments obtain "punk rock" status?) :shrug: But I find it interesting that anyone would think a synth could achieve better results than a sampler for this type of sound. This just seems ridiculous to me, so show me the good stuff.

Be warned, I can't back up my opinion either atm :wink: for lack of webspace and/or time, but anyway, my 5 ct :
The closest I've come to a picked rock bass like that (and imho that's more likely a P-Bass or similar than a Rick) is with a relatively cheap chain actually :
YT Pure E Basses 1 (can often be found rather cheap in a variety of formats, I paid 69 Euros for my EXS version about 2 years ago) in K2 (doesn't really matter, no special tweaks necessary) through the free Helian 1st Bass or (for more "civilized" tones) through Pultec and LA2A or similar (there sure is good freeware around, Blockfish and some decent non-surgical EQ will do that job as well for example).
I have yet to hear a convincing rock bass from Trilogy, that's why I don't own it (though I spent hours with it at some other studios).
Hardcore Bass XP is not sampled as well as the Pure E Basses but might actually be just the ticket for what you're trying to achieve. Be prepared for some remapping if you can use HCB in Kontakt or alternatively detailed editing of the MIDI track if you don't necessarily want that much Hardcore, There are some good tones buried under the fret noises and distortion, but they sure are well hidden. :help:
Ymmv,
susiwong

susiwong wrote:...(and imho that's more likely a P-Bass or similar than a Rick)...susiwong
Could be a P-bass, but I can definitely imitate that sound with my Ric :ud:

You could always try Manytone's Ultimate Bass Kit. Good stuff at a good price, too.

I put it in front of Revalver MKII with two really heavy guitar tracks and it sounded really good, I thought, but it was run through a wonderful amp sim, too.

FInd your best fav "closest to the dry real thing" then you could always try something like FreeAmp2 or somtehting similar.

Just a thought or two...

taijiguy wrote:
susiwong wrote:...(and imho that's more likely a P-Bass or similar than a Rick)...susiwong
Could be a P-bass, but I can definitely imitate that sound with my Ric :ud:
No doubt, all I wanted to say is I'd probably rather choose a P-Bass through a tube rig for that sound, a Rickenbacker (maybe my favourite bass of all time :) ) is more associated with that Chris Squire or Kraan sound. Ymmv.
Of course it's perfectly capable of approximating that sound.

And then, most punks I know (not talking about the originals) prefer bolt-on guitars since they simply hold up better during rough club gigs, bar fights and the like. :roll:

Cheers, susiwong

bluepride wrote:If you need the sound of a REAL bass, USE a real bass.
i totally agree !!! even since playing bass is great fun!!!

whenever I try to emulate some sounds of real instruments my music is crap. isn't that the same for you?
the time i started to accept my sounds as they are, my inspiration was much higher... tried to sound like this and like that before...

afreshcupofjoe wrote:I would never have spent that kind of money on a ROMpler myself, but my girlfriend shares a studio with me and she uses it all the time. She is also more talented and makes more money than I do, so she can justify purchasing expensive software.
Any advice on where to get girlfriends like that? Guitar center? :hihi:
the the impotence of proofreading

Return to “Instruments”