Freeware Soundfont Player apart from SFZ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.

I used to use SFZ on my old PC (P4 3.2GHZ, 2GB RAM) and had no problems.

I recently upgraded some components in my PC - Core2 Duo 2.4GHZ, 4GB RAM and since doing this I've been unable to use SFZ!!!

I keep getting an "Unable to load soundfont - Insufficient Memory" error and apparently SFZ has problems with multi core processors?

I originally tried a few Soundfont players quite a while back (can't remember which) and noticed that soundfonts sound different in different Soundfont Players!!??

What would you recommend as a good alternative to SFZ?

Thanks

stay juicy!

Eventually something intelligent will appear written here. Watch this space.

Fretted Synth Audio Saffron is cool ... if you can find it anywhere.

Does ShortCircuit not play Soundfonts??

rgc Audio sfz Player is small and handy VSTi for SF2, SFZ and Wav format.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Fretted Synth Audio Saffron is cool ... if you can find it anywhere.
Here you can download it:
http://rekkerd.org/frettedsynth-release ... nt-player/

Artvera wrote:rgc Audio sfz Player is small and handy VSTi for SF2, SFZ and Wav format.
Here link to download:
http://www.project5.com/products/instru ... efault.asp

I think the problem here is, sfz doesn't really work well on multicore processors. Saffron, IIRC, is a SynthEdit-based player. I haven't tried it, but SynthEdit-based stuff is usually known to have some issues with multicore processors as well.

Shortcircuit can import soundfonts, but soundfont playback is not very good in it. Highlife doesn't load soundfonts, if I'm not wrong.

sfz is still one of the best when we talk about soundfont compatibility. I'm also looking for an good alternative that works well in multicore processors.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

Artvera wrote:rgc Audio sfz Player is small and handy VSTi for SF2, SFZ and Wav format.
My post states that SFZ doesn't work on my Core2 Duo anymore and I'm looking for something different to SFZ.

I'm going to check out :-

ShortCircuit
Paax
Saffron

I have not tried, but have heard that if you make multiple copies of sfz and rename each (sfz1, sfz2...) it will work with multicore processors.

An option is to extract the waves from the soundfont using sfzED and map them to your sampler. A lot of work, I know.

Bismark BS-0 has always worked well for me. Low CPU, sounds good, in my opinion not as good as SFZ, but then I haven't tried the newest update yet.

I'm curious about this, I've been using multiple instances of SFZ on my quad core without any issues. Although I haven't tried to load any large SF2s yet. Is the problem directly related to the size of the soundfont?

poonna wrote:Saffron, IIRC, is a SynthEdit-based player. I haven't tried it, but SynthEdit-based stuff is usually known to have some issues with multicore processors as well.
I think that problem can be only if you need to use more instances.
But some users don't have any problem to use more instances of SE plugins even though they have also multicore computers.
Maybe there can be difference if computer is Pentium or Athlon.
Last edited by Artvera on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artvera'

Have they updated the sfz player that they have on the Project5 site?

The original poster is looking to replace the sfz that he is having trouble with.

I'd like to know also as I am looking to get a quadcore machine.

Well I've tried Take 1, Saffron and Paax.

Take1 and Saffron sounded awful with the Sonivox soundfonts I have!!

Paax sounded pretty similar to SFZ but with a little

I'll try ShortCircuit tomorrow!

Return to “Instruments”