MOTU 828 MK2 USB latency

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just bought my 828mkII USB2 and installed the latest drivers from the MOTU website. General functions are all working fine but the problem is I cannot configure the latency lower then 512 samples. I would expect that with this piece of equipment I should be able to set it lower then this?

The dropdown box in the Motu Audio Console gives me the buffersize options starting from 256 and higher.

I have two questions:

1. What can be the reason the options 64 and 128 are not available in the drop-down list? Is this simply not supported by the driver?

2. Although the option 256 is available, the driver will reject it when actually initializing the ASIO interface (from any ASIO compatible host, tested with Cubase SX 2.2 and Native Instruments B4) with the message that a buffersize of 256 samples is not supported. It will then ask to switch back to the 'preferred' buffersize which seems to be 512.

Does anyone has the same experience or was anyone able to setup a system with lower latencies? Just to avoid people reminding me of the following: I'm aware of the fact that the actual latency of a setup is also dependant on the specification of the pc / cpu etc. I'm not complaining about hearing 'clicks' or other weird noises when using the system. It is just that the driver doesn't allow me to choose a buffersize lower then 512.

System used:
Dell Precision M65
Intel T7200 2GHz dual core
2GB RAM

Things I tried:
* - Re-installed driver.
* - Installed on other pc with complete other specs -> same behaviour
* - Fully re-installed laptop with Win-XP and tested again with same behavior.

anyone experienced the same issue? I'm really desperate finding out what is causing this. Meanwhile I have contacted MOTU but they are acting very strange as if they are hiding from something.

SORRY, No suggestions. But there must be a reason MOTU stopped producing the Mk 2 USB and cleared their stock by lowering the price. There is AFAIK no replacement product from MOTU today that uses USB 2.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”