Audio interface with DC coupled outputs

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks, this is my first post on this forum and im wandering if you could help me out with a few things.

Im interested in controlling my modular gear (in particular MFB kraftzwerg) with the likes of Silent way/volta via ableton 8.1.1 running off a mac mini OSX 10.6
From reading a few articles on the expert sleepers website, i understand that to do this i need an audio interface with DC coupled outputs.
The expert-sleepers website provides a list of interfaces that have been tried and tested, primarily MOTU interfaces which would do the job just fine, however my budget (Max £500) limits me to the Ultralite MK3 model and the 8pre model. The latter would be preferable for other projects too.

My questions are;

- Are there any other interfaces that would do this job (perhaps slightly cheaper)?
- Does the Motu 8pre have DC coupled analogue outputs?
- Has anyone had any experience using the silent way or volta software in Live 8.1.1 - are there any problems regarding latency or general quirks?

Apologies if my questions are broad and obvious but any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Matt

I am using an old 828 mk2 which does the job perfectly.
As far as I know, but I might be wrong, there are no other dc coupled soundcards than motu's.
I run Volta via my 828, within Live's latest, to send various CVs to different elements of my motm/blacet based modular and it is so so comfortable, easy to set-up, powerfull to control, etc... You just have to take care using the correct side of the Y cables not to f**k ur soundcard.
What's 'nice' is that the path back to your soundcard for further processing of your analog audio via AUs VSTs is cosmetically integrated in Volta's design. The really small latency can then be compensated within Live, of course, so this is NOT an issue at all.
I am sure you could find a second hand 828 for less than £300.
After a few hours enjoying my system as never before, the main question was : when will I be able to get another dc coupled soundcard ?

I asked the techs at Echo Audio and they said their AudioFire line has DC coupled outputs.

quintosardo wrote:I asked the techs at Echo Audio and they said their AudioFire line has DC coupled outputs.
This is not correct for the AudioFire12 that I have. I know because I had to manually short the large DC-blocking caps on the outputs.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”