Control a midi application?

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,
for me it seems nice to have to control any application that can receive Midi from apps "outside" of itself, like Photosounder. For example I can control virtually any synth in my DAW (VSTi or build in) with any application the "sends" Midi to it through tools like "loopBe" (see nerds.de). For Photosounder that would be a way to control virtually any software based instrument if it would produce midi in addition to it's own frequency based sound. That means as an ideal for me:
Photosounder -> picture analysis -> produce internal Midi -> ability to send that Midi to any app "outside" in realtime -> tool like "loopBe" to "receive" this midi and send it further -> DAW receives this Midi -> DAW controls it's loaded synth(s)

For the developer of Photosounder there's no need to program a VSTi or something, but Midi have to be implemented. In addition there must be some "granularity" to "produce" Midi-Notes 'cause not even every pixel of a 10MPixel Photo has to be a note ;) The "hight" of these notes could be set alike the now implemented frequency algorithms. Now we would have a "picture based" step sequencer :)

Now for me Photosounder sadly is to limited to it's own "synth" by generating sounds from images (and mp3 import doesn't work, but that's another story).

greets

oh sorry, this should be in the "wishlist" thread...

I can see why someone would want MIDI input, but MIDI output? I'm not sure I see the practical aspect of it. I mean it's not like Photosounder gives you an output that's usable as a score anyway. If you can elaborate about the applications of this, I'd appreciate :).
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

A_SN wrote:I can see why someone would want MIDI input, but MIDI output? I'm not sure I see the practical aspect of it. I mean it's not like Photosounder gives you an output that's usable as a score anyway. If you can elaborate about the applications of this, I'd appreciate :).
My approach is, that the internal sound generating engine (or synth) in Photosounder produces limited sounds by analyzing a picture. That's not a problem, but it would be nice to control virtually any synth within a digital audio workstation or stand alone synth with Midi-Input. Therefore Midi is one practical choice because every DAW and synths supports it. The Midi produced by Photosounder has to be tranfered to the DAW, i.e. by using the mentioned "LoopBe"-Software.
If there is any other way to produce other sounds like the build in synth, please tell me, then my question is obsolet.

When using MP3 analysis in Photosounder Midi isn't useful, that's clear.

And: Your software is really really good, no question. Thanks a lot for it.

Greets

der_skeptiker wrote:
A_SN wrote:I can see why someone would want MIDI input, but MIDI output? I'm not sure I see the practical aspect of it. I mean it's not like Photosounder gives you an output that's usable as a score anyway. If you can elaborate about the applications of this, I'd appreciate :).
My approach is, that the internal sound generating engine (or synth) in Photosounder produces limited sounds by analyzing a picture. That's not a problem, but it would be nice to control virtually any synth within a digital audio workstation or stand alone synth with Midi-Input. Therefore Midi is one practical choice because every DAW and synths supports it. The Midi produced by Photosounder has to be tranfered to the DAW, i.e. by using the mentioned "LoopBe"-Software.
If there is any other way to produce other sounds like the build in synth, please tell me, then my question is obsolet.

When using MP3 analysis in Photosounder Midi isn't useful, that's clear.

And: Your software is really really good, no question. Thanks a lot for it.

Greets
Sorry but I still don't get it. Why would you want to output MIDI and where would the MIDI data be coming from in the first place? It sounds like that's something entirely different from what Photosounder does that you want. I just don't see the link.

:-D It seems to be difficult to explain this.
Well, Photosounder produces sounds by analysing grid based images and compute informations to control the sound depending from position in the loaded file and the image informations at this position, right? Position is changing by time.

Now you control your own sound processing within Photosounder with these computed informations. Why not control any other instrument with the same informations? Therefore, Midi can be used. The problem is: Photosounder produces no Midi in it's current version and there is also no other interface to get these computed informations out of Photosounder.
The idea behind Photosounder is fantastic, but users are limited to the build-in sound producing engine.

Maybe, yes, I understand Photosounder not right...

der_skeptiker wrote::-D It seems to be difficult to explain this.
Well, Photosounder produces sounds by analysing grid based images and compute informations to control the sound depending from position in the loaded file and the image informations at this position, right? Position is changing by time.

Now you control your own sound processing within Photosounder with these computed informations. Why not control any other instrument with the same informations? Therefore, Midi can be used. The problem is: Photosounder produces no Midi in it's current version and there is also no other interface to get these computed informations out of Photosounder.
The idea behind Photosounder is fantastic, but users are limited to the build-in sound producing engine.

Maybe, yes, I understand Photosounder not right...
It doesn't make any sense to do that though. Besides, by default each line represents a fifth of a semitone. And then, what kind of desirable output could this possibly produce? I really cannot think of any.

Also, you want to replace a pretty much omnipotent synthesis technique with.. MIDI? :D

Ok, thanks for your answer. I think there're two worlds of software that have nothing much in common. My questions is answered and I think I try Photosounder a bit more to decide what it can do for my musical aims. Again, thanks for your nice software :)

Return to “Photosounder”