virtual BASS AMP / what do you use ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

What do you guys use for electric bass ?
I record bass through some vintage mic pre/ DI and it has a nice sound itself after EQ and compression,
Now I would like to try adding some cabinet and bass amp flavour to the sound
I have seen Bass Amp Room video that is very convincing but i don't want an iLock :P

cheers

I started with IK's Ampeg SVX, but that always sounded sort-of fuzzy and "plasticky" to my ears. Don't know if it's just me, also don't care. Just didn't work for me.

Over the last months, I've started recording electric bass directly through a D.I. box and my Symetrix 528. I do add a bass amp sim, that is the Audiffex/Gallien Krueger VST, but I only dial that in up to a quite low percentage. Just to make the DI sound a little more dense, push a little mid power into it. Works a treat for most purposes.

I've been screwing around with guitar amp sims for nearly a decade now, I've owned, used and passed-on various amp plugns like the Steinberg Warp VST, GuitarRig, ReValver when it was still from Alien Connections, IK's Amplitube, Audioease's Cabinet and also a lot of free approaches - which actually turned out to be the ones I liked and used most.
Aradaz, AcmeBarGig, Kuassa Lite, together with BoogEx and the RedWirez or Recabinet 2 IRs - great stuff!
But I was simply overwhelmed by Softube's Metal Amp Room, it turns my DI guitars into instant BIG sound. Absolutely astonishing! I've grown an absolute fanboy of it, sorry to admit.
So even though I've never used it, I'm quite sure that the Bass Amp Room would be just as good.

Don't want to get off-topic here, but I still don't know what all you guys have against dongles. Whatever.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Check out the StudioDevil bass amp for starters... http://www.studiodevil.com/home/index.php

Also, the IK Ampeg SVX is pretty good, but starting to get away from the "cheap" side, depending on your budget...

If you're really on a shoestring budget you can do a lot with little to no $$$...

Voxengo TubeAmp for a little preampy tubeness + some decent lightweight EQ for shaping + something like Ferox for final compression/saturation/coloring/filtering. You can throw some light compression up front to even things out, if necessary, and/or in addition to/instead of a tape sat plug like Ferox. For EQ, Voxengo and others have good and free options for simple tone shaping. Ferox (now from ToneBoosters) used to be free, and is now an ultra-cheap (20EUR) package that you might want to add to your plug arsenal in any case... You could go with a convolution plug like Voxengo Boogex and throw a bass cab response in that chain too, if that floats your boat. Just some ideas...

I've recently had good results with this freeware chain for bass:

Aradaz Maximizer > T.S.E. B.O.D. > Ambience (optional) > FerricTDS

My Fender P Bass with flats sounds nice and thumpy with this chain when played with a pick.

Bogex with the red wirez SVT impulses are nice. and can be edgy in a cool way. Ampeg SVX is a different beast, and can be very nice in small amounts.

A different sound which I like is the bassman 300 pro from Amplitube Fender.

I have Amplitube 3 & AT Fender, there's some really good Bass Amps included with them. But I mainly use Studio Devil's VBA on Bass Guitar Its simple & easy to use but most importantly it sounds great.

I have been experimenting a bit more lately with the Bass Amps in Amplitube 3 & AT Fender & one small thing that I find helps is that you can visually keep an eye on the I/O signal to make sure there's no clipping plus there's a lot more control over I/O Levels. VBA can get a bit wild when it comes to volume levels.

I'll probably upgrade to VBA Pro soon as the upgrade price is very reasonable. I'm curious, has anyone else tried VBA Pro yet?

I use Ampeg SVX, often with RedWirez IRs. Will get Studio Devil VBA as soon as I can - impressive sound, I also like the way it responds to the player's touch.

@Peevy2000: didn't test the VBA Pro version, but will soon...I'm quite curious.

DELETED

Bass POD (Stadium Preset) DONE.

The Fender TBP-1 Bass preamp in AmpliTube Fender is great and I often have a hard time deciding between that or the Ampeg B15R from Ampeg SVX. Both sound great!. :D
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

One of the various Amplitube bass amps typically does it for me - it has to be said however that I consciously avoid any distortion here, and most of the included presets are too gimmicky imho.
Great DI style tones can be had from Bootsie's NastyVCS, or any chain of quality comp > EQ fwiw.
If there are problem frequencies I might add another EQ in front to control the compression, if the dynamic range is too big, an LA2A first in the chain works wonders.
In case I need that certain "roughness" and 3D of a driven tubeamp I much rather let FerricTDS (left side) do the job, it's subtle enough to get more convincing results than almost anything else.
Ymmv,
susiwong

kbaccki wrote:Check out the StudioDevil bass amp for starters... http://www.studiodevil.com/home/index.php
I always liked using this and felt it had an "instant gratification" value. Seemed like as long as the levels were fine, it was instant "wow" factor.

Thanks guys.
These are some great advices!
I'll check them out !!
let the power of bass be with You :)

Vandal bass amp---excellent.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

I'm kinda wierded out because I thought this thing was released eons ago but might be something to look into.

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/overloud_r ... g_in_16216

LOVE mark bass amps......if I still gigged, that's what I'd have ;)

Return to “Effects”