U-HE Patch Contest: Tyrell N6

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

>>> U-HE Patch Contest: Tyrell N6 <<<

The first patch contest for the superb Tyrell N6!

As ever the prize for this contest is pretty damn good - a free choice of one software product from the u-he range!

How to enter

1. Get Tyrell N6 here.

2. Adjust knobs and sliders until it sounds good, then press save.

3. Send the resulting patches (.h2p format) to bmrzycki, either by PM through this forum, or by email to: brzycki [at] gmail [dot] com

Rulez and other important stuff:

Deadline for Submissions - 14:00 UTC Monday May 23rd

A maximum of two patches per person.

Patches should be anonymized (putting a "?" in the "author" field when saving does the trick).

The winning patch will be decided by a vote (and everyone who submits a patch is expected to vote!).

This is a freestyle contest so leads, basses, pads, kazoos, highland bagpipes* patches etc. are all admissible.

Please try to ensure that your patch does not exhibit significant - ideally no - audio clipping.

Make sure you dl the latest version (1.01) of Tyrell - older versions will shortly revert to demo mode.

*Sorry, bad joke - anyone submitting a convincing highland bagpipe patch will be disqualified.

---

Contest themes are decided upon by something approaching a democratic/consensual process, so if anyone has ideas for future contests, or more general suggestions, please speak your brains in this thread.

Last edited by hakey on Tue May 03, 2011 10:56 am, edited 10 times in total.

Some ideas on patch design from the Zebralette contest thread.

Again from the Zebralette contest, hints on how to be competitive in ZPC.

For those new to these contests a good tip: try to achieve as high a perceived volume as is possible _IMPORTANT_ without pushing the levels into clipping!

Not only will louder patches stand out more (which is useful if the aim is to be competitive), but achieving a high perceived volume for the same energy output tends to come about through focusing in on just those frequencies and dynamics that give a patch it's characteristic sound.

It's also worth adding any relevant info in the 'Description' and/or 'Usage' fields that you see when saving a patch - particularly where a patch responds to modulation (mod wheel, aftertouch) or sounds best when played in a particular way.

Tyrell Specific Info:

Q. What does Voice do when selected as a modulation source?

A. On unison it goes from -1 to +1 in as many steps as you got voices. put it on osc tune for some chords and stuff.

Q. How does Soft Sync work?

A. The slave oscillator syncs only if the phase difference to the master oscillator is within an adjustable range. At a range of 100% it's Hardsync.

Q. What exactly is the feedback slider doing?

A. It takes the output of the filter through an amp and back into the mixer. This is supposed to mimic the behaviour of certain analogue monosynths (Minimoog, SH-09, MS-20 etc.) when their output is wired back into the external signal input. The effect is often a sound with more "body" but less treble and less filter resonance/oscillation.

Q. Is there anyway to get a stereo panned output from Tyrell?

A. Yes. 8) (not going to tell you how - that would be too easy! The info is out there, somewhere...)

Last edited by hakey on Tue May 03, 2011 10:56 am, edited 20 times in total.

Can I enter my free bank "Tears in the Rain"? What happens if you already have all u-he's products? :)

aMUSEd wrote:Can I enter my free bank "Tears in the Rain"?
Well submissions need to be anonymous - difficult/impossible if they're already released into the wild with your name on. NB there's a max of two patches/entries (not banks!) per person.
What happens if you already have all u-he's products?
It's up to Urs, but the prize could possibly be offered on to the next person in line, or perhaps swapped for a pre-order on an upcoming u-he product - Berlin Modular, Diva...?

I must be the only person on the planet who hasn't spent any time using Tyrell yet !!!

Excellent timing for this comp, give me a chance to have a mess around with it. Although this retarded track i'm working on keeps gettin in the way !!! Why did I start writing Drum & Bass ??? lol ;)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

So anyone have any suggestions for the next u-he contest?

I have an idea for something - a slight diversion from the usual proceedings...

Well, now I have to do my own contest first. Made a lot of patches during the last two weeks. Which two are the best to send in ?

And no more bagpipe jokes please. Ok, I play medieval bagpipes not a Highland Pipe. :wink:

In the meantime here is a little track made with nine Tyrells:
http://soundcloud.com/pocvecem/hifly-tyrelln6
Beware! Very 80s and a little inspired by Tangerine Dream.
EAT - SLEEP - SYNTH
http://soundcloud.com/pocvecem

^ Very nice, enjoying it much!

A suggestion for June's u-he contest from the ZPC14 voting thread:
pocvecam wrote:I would like to see a choir/voice pads competition. Really love those PPG and Prophet VS like voices. And imagine what you can do with those waves in Zebra!

Now, this is very much the kind of patch design challenge I like! However, experience has shown that the themes that I prefer are often the ones that end up with poor participation. So, it's a possibility, but only if enough people express an interest...

And my idea, a bit of a change from what we've done up to now, how about a contest for music made using only u-he software?

hakey wrote:And my idea, a bit of a change from what we've done up to now, how about a contest for music made using only u-he software?
I like the sound of that. But does that include the percussion ? lol I'll need tutorials for high hats done in zebra tbh lol
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

hakey wrote:And my idea, a bit of a change from what we've done up to now, how about a contest for music made using only u-he software?
That's awesome! :)

LeVzi wrote:I like the sound of that. But does that include the percussion ? lol I'll need tutorials for high hats done in zebra tbh lol
Not sure of the precise details. I think everything, including effects, would have to be u-he, but 3rd party patches would be allowed (there are some nice free percussion patches, including hi-hats, available for Zebra).

We could perhaps allow some subtle use of (non u-he) compression/limiting for mastering purposes.

hakey wrote:
LeVzi wrote:I like the sound of that. But does that include the percussion ? lol I'll need tutorials for high hats done in zebra tbh lol
Not sure of the precise details. I think everything, including effects, would have to be u-he, but 3rd party patches would be allowed (there are some nice free percussion patches, including hi-hats, available for Zebra).

We could perhaps allow some subtle use of (non u-he) compression/limiting for mastering purposes.
That would be awesome! :)

Sadly I had no time for the last ZPC but I'll definitely join the Tyrell patch contest and the song contest (If that happens).

I think 100% Zebra, Zebrify and ZRev would be the best rules (a limiter would be ok though).

Cheers
Dennis

The only problem would be that only people with a full version of zebra could participate.

Cheers
Dennis

Return to “u-he”