What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

NI Massive in the year of 2012

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

oneummon
KVRer

22 posts since 6 Nov, 2009

Postby oneummon; Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:45 am NI Massive in the year of 2012

I've been hesitating to buy this synth for many years. Once again I'm considering to get it - and this time because of huge amount of available presets. Is this still valid piece of software ? Any ideas where to get this as cheap as possible - 179€ is quite a lot, is it?

Another question, what this wavetable synthesis offers sound wise over VA ala Synth Squad, Diva etc?

Thank You
deleted

Postby deleted; Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:54 am

DELETED
darsho
KVRAF

1534 posts since 14 Sep, 2007, from www.koeln.de/en/

Postby darsho; Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:03 am

wow, I did not know Massive costs that much.
I have it included in Komplete and atm I use it a lot, together with Absynth.
I love the preset management and the sounds as well.
Dusk to Dawn (Synth-Pop) : http://www.dusktodawn.de
M & D (Breakbeat Fusion Trance) : http://tinyurl.com/moebiusdarsho
Darsho (Solo-Releases & Gear-Reviews) : http://www.darsho.de
Buka
KVRist

239 posts since 5 Mar, 2004

Postby Buka; Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 am

Massive is beautiful, can do sounds no other synth can..it has unique filters and wavetables, check the demo and decide for yourself
One of the nicest banks is called Massive Threat, go check that out...

cheers!
chokehold
KVRAF

1935 posts since 10 Oct, 2007, from Almanya

Postby chokehold; Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 am

Try TAL NoiseMaker, you can get good wobbles out of it.

Also, maybe give NI RAZOR plus the free Reaktor Player a spin, could set you up with a sort of an unofficial "Massive LE" for less $$$.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My free stuff: u-he Satin presets for SD2 Metal Foundry - Black Noh Snare - Tiny Metal Impact - Kriminal's LP SG
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

3828 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 am

chokehold wrote:Try TAL NoiseMaker, you can get good wobbles out of it.

Also, maybe give NI RAZOR plus the free Reaktor Player a spin, could set you up with a sort of an unofficial "Massive LE" for less $$$.

Except that neither sound anything like Massive.

You can usually find Massive used. Try putting out a WTB in the marketplace. You might also want to look for a used copy of an older Komplete, like 6 or 7 which would have Massive for not much more plus lots of other stuff.

I've been looking forward to a Massive 2 for some time, but it already does what it does quite well. About all I could think of wanting would be automatable oscillators on/off. ;)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
Buka
KVRist

239 posts since 5 Mar, 2004

Postby Buka; Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:19 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:

You can usually find Massive used. Try putting out a WTB in the marketplace. You might also want to look for a used copy of an older Komplete, like 6 or 7 which would have Massive for not much more plus lots of other stuff.

I've been looking forward to a Massive 2 for some time, but it already does what it does quite well. About all I could think of wanting would be automatable oscillators on/off. ;)

..and a wavetable maker/editor :)
simonden
KVRist

320 posts since 19 Jul, 2011, from Right Here, Right Now

Postby simonden; Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:25 am

Just check the KVR Market Place - Right Now there is a Komplete 5 for sale for not much more than Massive costs (€220 + Postage) which includes Absynth 4, Akoustik Piano, B4 II, Battery 3, Elektrik Piano, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt 3, Massive, Pro-53 and Reaktor 5. There is also a Komplete Synths for sale for around €120-€130 which include Absynth 4, FM8, Massive and PRO-53.

(says the man selling the Komplete 5 :wink: )
Say NO to developers who ignore the law!
4damind
KVRAF

3553 posts since 17 Aug, 2004, from Berlin, Germany

Postby 4damind; Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:40 am

The only synth where I would say it's a competitor is U-He Zebra and Zebra is more expensive.
Frank Arnold Musician & IT Freelancer

Visit me on:
Facebook | Soundcloud | 4damind.com
Old Crab
KVRist

393 posts since 10 Dec, 2004

Postby Old Crab; Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 am

oneummon wrote:I've been hesitating to buy this synth for many years. Once again I'm considering to get it - and this time because of huge amount of available presets. Is this still valid piece of software ? Any ideas where to get this as cheap as possible - 179€ is quite a lot, is it?

Another question, what this wavetable synthesis offers sound wise over VA ala Synth Squad, Diva etc?

Thank You
I know it's more of an economic stretch, but to me, buying individual NI instruments isn't cost effective unless you really only want one and not the others. (I went down that path myself.) If you are interested in getting more, then you might want to consider saving up for NI Komplete (standard). I was able to get it using a store coupon that reduced the price $100 here in the states at Guitar Center. Otherwise, you may be able to find a similar deal somewhere.

I completely sympathize if this approach may be too difficult, but I'm just tossing the idea out for your consideration.

OC
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

3828 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:06 am

Buka wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:

..and a wavetable maker/editor :)

Oh ya that would be cool too.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
oneummon
KVRer

22 posts since 6 Nov, 2009

Postby oneummon; Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:06 am

I guess it's too much at the moment. And buying a single synth over komplete might be unjustified in the long run.

What about all those 3rd part presets available - do they make any difference? I remember Massive back in the day when there was no tutorials or additional presets...
re_mute
KVRAF

1564 posts since 24 Feb, 2004

Postby re_mute; Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:23 am

oneummon wrote:I guess it's too much at the moment. And buying a single synth over komplete might be unjustified in the long run.

What about all those 3rd part presets available - do they make any difference? I remember Massive back in the day when there was no tutorials or additional presets...

Would probably help if you said what you were into. Plug-In Guru's pack is great, there's Vengeance /Adam Baker for trance and noooo shortage of untagged, half-assed dubstep banks.
Personally I think Zebra, Electrax/Gladiator, Dune are more interesting synths but YMMV.
"What embecile composed this list :/"
Uncle E
KVRAF

6470 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:29 am

simonden wrote:Just check the KVR Market Place - Right Now there is a Komplete 5 for sale for not much more than Massive costs (€220 + Postage) which includes Absynth 4, Akoustik Piano, B4 II, Battery 3, Elektrik Piano, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt 3, Massive, Pro-53 and Reaktor 5. There is also a Komplete Synths for sale for around €120-€130 which include Absynth 4, FM8, Massive and PRO-53.

These are both great. B4 II and Pro-53 were both great synths (Pro-53 benefits more from oversampling than any other synth plug-in I've used) and neither is currently available from NI.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
osiris
KVRAF

7320 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:31 am

If you can get an older version of Komplete, it's WELL worth the money. Not only Massive, but Absynth, FM8, Kontakt, Reaktor, and Guitar Rig. What I paid for Komplete I think averaged out to about $50.00 per synth. Total no-brainer.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments