What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Recording audio & video separately -- should audio be 44 or 48KHz?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRer
 
13 posts since 16 Jun, 2012

Postby turnstyle; Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:33 am Recording audio & video separately -- should audio be 44 or 48KHz?

Hi all,

I'm trying to record some casual family/home music performances, but I'm hoping for respectable quality.

My current plan is to record the audio in Ableton, video in my camera, and sync them in Sony (Vegas) Movie Studio -- replacing the audio captured by the camera with audio captured on the computer.

My understanding is that video uses 48KHz audio, wheres 44KHz is pretty standard for conventional audio.

I'm curious to know whether I should be recording in Ableton at 44 or 48KHz (or, for that matter, 96KHz). eg, is it somehow "bad" to merge 44KHz audio into a video file?

Conversely, if I record in Ableton at 48KHz, is there a problem if I later want to use that on, say, a CD?

THANKS!
User avatar
KVRAF
 
16127 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny
  

Postby thecontrolcentre; Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:37 am

I've used 44k audio in Vegas. Works fine.
KVRer
 
13 posts since 16 Jun, 2012

Postby turnstyle; Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:42 am

thecontrolcentre wrote:I've used 44k audio in Vegas. Works fine.


Thanks! If you render an H.264 video from Vegas, does it then convert your 44KHz audio into 48KHz? Or does the video file contain 44KHz audio?
User avatar
KVRAF
 
16127 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny
  

Postby thecontrolcentre; Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:06 am

turnstyle wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I've used 44k audio in Vegas. Works fine.


Thanks! If you render an H.264 video from Vegas, does it then convert your 44KHz audio into 48KHz? Or does the video file contain 44KHz audio?

I don't know. I've only used it to prepare dvd's. Exported the video as mpeg and audio as 44k wav (iirc).
KVRer
 
13 posts since 16 Jun, 2012

Postby turnstyle; Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:14 am

thecontrolcentre wrote:
turnstyle wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I've used 44k audio in Vegas. Works fine.


Thanks! If you render an H.264 video from Vegas, does it then convert your 44KHz audio into 48KHz? Or does the video file contain 44KHz audio?

I don't know. I've only used it to prepare dvd's. Exported the video as mpeg and audio as 44k wav (iirc).


Thanks -- if anybody happens to know, I'm very curious to hear what you think.

I'm really hoping to avoid an "oops, should have done that differently" situation...
User avatar
Beware the Quoth
 
21173 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:15 am

turnstyle wrote:Hi all,

I'm trying to record some casual family/home music performances, but I'm hoping for respectable quality.

My current plan is to record the audio in Ableton, video in my camera, and sync them in Sony (Vegas) Movie Studio -- replacing the audio captured by the camera with audio captured on the computer.

My understanding is that video uses 48KHz audio, wheres 44KHz is pretty standard for conventional audio.

I'm curious to know whether I should be recording in Ableton at 44 or 48KHz (or, for that matter, 96KHz). eg, is it somehow "bad" to merge 44KHz audio into a video file?

Conversely, if I record in Ableton at 48KHz, is there a problem if I later want to use that on, say, a CD?

THANKS!


I tell our students to stick to 48KHz (as per DV standard) for audio for video projects and 44.1K (as per CD standard) for audio-only projects.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
KVRAF
 
8247 posts since 8 Mar, 2005, from Utrecht, Holland

Postby BertKoor; Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:02 am

Merging in 44.1 kHz audio into a video: yes it works fine. But most probably a sample rate conversion is done, which can be avoided if audio was recorded at 48kHz.

Is anybody able to tell the difference? Probably not...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!
KVRist
 
120 posts since 16 Feb, 2012

Postby G.hostLA; Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:14 am

if you do end up having to convert there is a free program called re8brain(or something along those lines.)
ive used it before and it works great.
KVRist
 
490 posts since 14 Feb, 2006, from Berkeley, CA

Postby Winstontaneous; Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:40 pm

I haven't had any problem using audio files with different sample rates in Vegas Platinum 10. I do generally render at 48K because as whyterabbyt notes it's the industry standard.

I'm working on a project in Final Cut Pro/Express right now that REALLY makes me miss using Vegas!
KVRer
 
13 posts since 16 Jun, 2012

Postby turnstyle; Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:32 am

whyterabbyt wrote:I tell our students to stick to 48KHz (as per DV standard) for audio for video projects and 44.1K (as per CD standard) for audio-only projects.


What if it's *both* a video and CD project?
KVRist
 
67 posts since 13 Aug, 2012, from France

Postby Nantonos; Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:33 am

turnstyle wrote:What if it's *both* a video and CD project?


Then record at 24/96 and master-then-downsample separately for the video and audio parts.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Production Techniques