What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Vote for the best budget monitors with 5" woofer!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Best budget monitors with 5" tweeter!

Yamaha HS50M
4
17%
KRK RP5 G2
7
30%
Prodipe Pro Ribbon 5
1
4%
Adam F5
3
13%
Fostex PM0.5 MKII
0
No votes
Mackie MR5 MKII
3
13%
Tannoy Reveal 501a
2
9%
Other/Leave comment plz
3
13%
 
Total votes : 23
Constantine_K
KVRist
 
52 posts since 16 Nov, 2012, from Greece

Postby Constantine_K; Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:52 am Vote for the best budget monitors with 5" woofer!

Hi everyone im on the way to buy my first monitors for home studio.I produce progressive-house/chill out but i dont want the most bass heavy 5" monitors but the most accurate and revealing to help me correct things for mixing and mastering.
i will have headphones with good low-freq response (beyerdynamic dt990) to help me with the low end freq,and because i dont have the opportunity to hear them all in local shop,i need your vote here.Any comments and suggestions are welcome!Thanx
Last edited by Constantine_K on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep in your mind...there is a light...follow it!
Nantonos
KVRist
 
67 posts since 13 Aug, 2012, from France

Postby Nantonos; Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:35 am

None of the monitors listed have 5" tweeters.

Presumably 5" woofers is meant. Edit: now corrected, I see :)
Last edited by Nantonos on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Constantine_K
KVRist
 
52 posts since 16 Nov, 2012, from Greece

Postby Constantine_K; Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Nantonos wrote:None of the monitors listed have 5" tweeters.

Presumably 5" woofers is meant.


Yeap that i whas mean :)
Deep in your mind...there is a light...follow it!
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
9794 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:14 pm

4", but they're a steal at the price. Better than at least half of those from your poll options, IMHO.

http://kurzweil.com/product/ks-40a/specs/
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
3869 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:37 pm

It could be that I have tin ears, but, I could not work easily with the HS50s for producing house/techno. They sound great for most non-electronic styles but I couldn't get past the lack of bass response.
Constantine_K
KVRist
 
52 posts since 16 Nov, 2012, from Greece

Postby Constantine_K; Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:27 am

ghettosynth wrote:It could be that I have tin ears, but, I could not work easily with the HS50s for producing house/techno. They sound great for most non-electronic styles but I couldn't get past the lack of bass response.


Which one u use?And are they revealing?
Deep in your mind...there is a light...follow it!
User avatar
musikmachine
KVRAF
 
8354 posts since 2 Oct, 2006, from ,Location, Location

Postby musikmachine; Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:33 am

I mentioning these cause you may not have heard of them, Equator Audio D5s if you can get them in Greece. I'd also consider the Focal CMS40 ifyou can stretch the budget. :)
Constantine_K
KVRist
 
52 posts since 16 Nov, 2012, from Greece

Postby Constantine_K; Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:36 am

musikmachine wrote:I mentioning these cause you may not have heard of them, Equator Audio D5s if you can get them in Greece. I'd also consider the Focal CMS40 ifyou can stretch the budget. :)


Yes i have forgot to add the Equator to the list,i have read good reviews about them have you work with them?can u compare them to the yamahas?cause i think they are the most revealing in the list but lack in bass.But no big problem with the bass cause i will have headphones to correct them and i will try to mix in whisper level to make a good mix.
Deep in your mind...there is a light...follow it!
ericj23
KVRAF
 
2352 posts since 25 Aug, 2002, from here

Postby ericj23; Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:52 am

I am probably off to buy cheap monitors too - so keep voting - I really want to get a sense of what is out there.

I was thinking of the mackie's, but I want something very revealing and that does not seem to tally up with your reviews
down boy
User avatar
musikmachine
KVRAF
 
8354 posts since 2 Oct, 2006, from ,Location, Location

Postby musikmachine; Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Constantine_K wrote:
musikmachine wrote:I mentioning these cause you may not have heard of them, Equator Audio D5s if you can get them in Greece. I'd also consider the Focal CMS40 ifyou can stretch the budget. :)


Yes i have forgot to add the Equator to the list,i have read good reviews about them have you work with them?can u compare them to the yamahas?cause i think they are the most revealing in the list but lack in bass.But no big problem with the bass cause i will have headphones to correct them and i will try to mix in whisper level to make a good mix.

The HS80s are good if that's what you mean as long as you have a way to reference mixes, not the most revealing but you can get mixes that translate. The highs are a bit grainy and low end rolls off. There's a limiter too that compresses the sound and some have done a limiter bypass, did it a few months back and the sound has improved but they are even better with a sub and sealing the ports improved things further. I enjoy working with them a lot more now, good for putting tracks together but the Focals are much more revealing so better for critical use.

Unless you've got the room and treatment i'd say go for a smaller more accurate monitor, you can always add a sub to monitor the low end. Remember a lot of budget monitors are a compromise, the ports extend the low end but often at the cost of smearing the mids. Fwiw without being able to try i'd get the D5s as long as i had the option to return them based on what i've read. If you want to get some more info contact handinhand, they are the UK distributors. :)
bedjka
KVRist
 
114 posts since 12 Nov, 2011

Postby bedjka; Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:23 pm

EvilDragon wrote:4", but they're a steal at the price. Better than at least half of those from your poll options, IMHO.

http://kurzweil.com/product/ks-40a/specs/


+1
Constantine_K
KVRist
 
52 posts since 16 Nov, 2012, from Greece

Postby Constantine_K; Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:43 am

Any owner of Equator D5 here?
Deep in your mind...there is a light...follow it!
Compyfox
KVRAF
 
11075 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:58 am

Behringer Truth series wasn't mentioned. I only recommend the active ones. Ideally the 8" version, but for this price - either one is pretty much unbeatable.

The 30's (ribbon tweeter) have a better frequency spectrum balance compared to the 20's (somewhat special horn design) as well. Though I use a pair of 2031a's over here and I'm a happy user.
Mixninjaneer
KVRer
 
17 posts since 30 Nov, 2012

Postby Mixninjaneer; Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:44 pm

I voted on the tannoy, they have a nice response even though i picked my JBL 8s over it. JBL needs to be on that list.
Impossible is nothing to those who try- Alexander the Great
Bhan
KVRist
 
138 posts since 22 May, 2010

Postby Bhan; Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 pm

M audio BX5A has served well for a few years.. Are they discontinued or.... dismissed?
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)