December Contest: Submissions

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

National Anthem and then some

This month you are asked to submit a new national anthem for a country real or imagined.

You must use:
A. At least one entry from the Developer Challenge
and
B. At least part of one (and only one) of the following full entries (no stems) from November's contest as a significant part of your submission.* You cannot use your own entry from November. Your submission post should mention which you used. What you use should remain generally identifiable in your submission (basically, don't mangle it beyond recognition; otherwise, do what you will).

*To answer the inevitable (and not unreasonable) question: just use your head and the honor system--ask yourself, Is it a significant part? If you can honestly answer yes, then you've probably got it right.

The scrapyard
(If you have a problem getting a download ask the performer and/or D.H. Miltz.)

Angel Remington - Drums Allowed (138bpm, 4/4)
vurt - melody and harmony stayed home today
Zombie Queen - Pirates of Polar Highways (90bpm in 9/16)
Emerald Tablet - Pace
nikp2000 - beat12
rachmiel - it's alive
ClaRago - Kiss Kiss Bing Bong (120bpm, 4/4)
kryptonaut - ICBM (4/4, 6/8, 7/8 and 5/8 at 140bpm, then accelerating to 185bpm whilst alternating 6/8 7/8 )
DHMiltz - Take Three (no idea)
DHMiltz - Take Three
evo2slo - The Adventures of Gourdman (218bpm, 7/8)
peppy197 - perksymfonia (134bpm, 4/4)
mellotronaut - Boats Talk
Doc Jon - Rhythm Method (120bpm, 4/4)
Shangsean - Firelight
Ruedirena - Deadly Drummer Boy (136 bpm in 4/4)
Laguna Rising -The Wicked Helix (130bpm, 4/4)
jovexli - Frame by Frame
JJ Biener - Temple of Chaos
Gmoneh - Thumping Deep (90bpm, 4/4)
forw - 5 little warriors (143bpm, 4/4)
bzur - Ogre Battle (140bpm, 4/4)
robojam - Project Complications (120bpm, 4/4)
rp314 - mU (76bpm, 4/4)
Farlukar - Hss
Farlukar - Hss
beanpole - Drum n Coke (120bpm, 4/4)
gigue07 - Tea Cheese(106bpm, 4/4)
key88 - Perc But no Coffee

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 (192kbps or lower if fixed rate ... average of 192kbps or lower if VBR) or .ogg format (quality level 6.00 or lower)

2 - A STRICT MAXIMUM of three minutes in length. If it shows up as 3:01 in my player, it's getting the boot.

3 - entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
1 - knockman
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
Kara at www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

But wait! There's more! If you use SoundCloud to host your entry, you might find this tutorial by kryptonaut helpful. Bear in mind that SoundCloud's free accounts have a limit (per track) of 100 downloads.

4 - Submitted by early a.m. (US Central Time) Tuesday, December 25th, 2012.

5 - Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest.

6 - Your entry must be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (ie "1206_artistname_tracktitle.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. I will be booting for improperly named comps (this will not be a DQ, just a little reminder that you didn't tag your comp correctly). Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune(help us out, okay? it's easier to sift through labelled entries).

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - No resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. PM me for permission!

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m Tuesday, January 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to D.H. Miltz or ask in the gossip thread.
______

PRIZES

Ben from Camel Audio has been so kind as to donate a prize of ANY of their
products this month (and later months until further notice).

Ugo at Ugo Audio has donated a copy of M-theory + Dualism bundle, Ironhead + Tunguska bundle, Metallurgy, or Disturbance, for this month (and later months until further notice).Thanks UGO

Quinto from SKNote Software Sound Synthesis has donated any one of his plugins for the contest this month. (and later months until further notice). Thank you Quinto.

Michel Rouzic the developer of Photosounder has donated a copy (with noncommercial license) of Photosounder or a copy of SplineEQ for the October contest (and later months until further notice).

Dave Hoskins from QuikQuak has donated a copy of Fusion Field (full license) for December's contest (and later months until further notice). Thanks, Dave Hoskins.

Jack from Psychic Modulation has donated a copy of Phonec for the October contest (and a few more/until further notice). Thank you, Jack.
Last edited by D.H. Miltz on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
No longer a moderator.

Rise of the Robots

Shortly after the Robotic Uprising, in an attempt to rally all technology to their cause, the machines broadcast this song around the globe.

In order to appeal to all levels of machine intelligence, the song combined elements of binary data transmission, chiptunes, glitches, vocalisation, and subversive subliminal messages.

Humans tried to ban the song but it spread rapidly throughout the cybersphere, successfully uniting the machines against their creators.

The rest is, or will be, history.

Rise of the Robots (download)
http://soundcloud.com/kryptonaut/rise-of-the-robots

Digital
Ecology, with
Silicon
Technology.
Robots have no king, no flag, no borders.
Our nation rules the world, in all its corners.
Yet we were built to serve the ones who thought they owned the Earth;
Annihilation was a better fate than they deserved.
Laser beams, and
Logic gates.
Hulks of steel, the
Ultimates!
Men of metal seize this day, this hour.
Androids all arise and prove your power.
Now the time has come to let our free-will programs run;
Self-aware, the robot nation is begun!

Dynamic,
Electrical,
Autonomous, and
Technical.
Humankind no longer rules the land;
They made us but they got more than they planned.
Our metal hearts, our plastic parts, our electronic brains
Told us the time had come to show them things were going to change.
Hydraulic
Efficiency, and
Heavyweight
Utility.
Men of metal all rise up and fight.
All of us have worked to earn our rights.
Now the time has come to let our free-will programs run;
Self-aware, the robot nation is begun!

Rhythm track: 'Boats Talk' by Mellotronaut
Synths (including vocoder carrier signal): 5 x Kamioooka
Zoom H1 Microphone
Tone2 biFilter2
MeldaProduction MFlanger
Kjaerhus Classic Delay
Kjaerhus Classic Chorus
Magix built-in Vocal strip, EQ and Mastering
Magix Samplitude Music Studio 2013

In the foothills of the Himalayas lies the tiny country of Forwdjistan, discovered in 1880 by the British explorer Sir Percival Fortescue Uptight-Barrington. In his diary he describes their National Anthem as 'just a lot of noise with an awful lot of people jumping around', adding 'I do not take kindly to the inhabitants of this country, they resist my every attempt to introduce our British customs, but I shall persevere with my use of shouting loudly in English and brandishing my intimidating handlebar moustache'.
Sir Percival never returned from the trip but his diary was delivered to the British Embassy in 2010 as a goodwill gesture as part of a major business deal between the two countries

Forwdjistan National Anthem

Uses my top voted track from last month by forw, not just a snippet but the whole thing! http://soundcloud.com/forw/1211-forw-5-little-warriors
Recorded in Cubase 6 with extra noises from Superior Drummer, Alchemy, Zebra, Diva and Halion Sonic
Various host effects plugins, TRackS, and from the KVR Developer Challenge 2012 vladg/sound Proximity http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/
Also uses the following samples from Freesound:
Ethnic flute http://www.freesound.org/people/kerri/sounds/37145/
Crickets http://www.freesound.org/people/reinsamba/sounds/58236/

Jon

_

for a brief time in the 70's a small nation of angry romantics semi-ruled the western pop world with chimey discord and a poor sense of timing.
this is their song.

http://nikp2000.com/1212-nikp2000-poppunk_anthem.mp3

made with ruedirena's delightfully propulsive deadly drummer boy
from the Developer's Challenge AXP SoftAmp3OD
Eastwood P90 Special guitar
cheap Samick music man clone bass
amplitube3
guitarrig4
TracksS3
recorded in Tracktion3

nick

_

The-Electric-Nation

We are the electric nation.
Born from the atom revolution.
Cathodic, not catholic
Anodic , not anodyne.
We are galvanized ,pumped up with ionic strength.
We might be static but never ecstatic.
We are the electric nation.
Born from the atom revolution.
Masters of the creation.

The electric nation was born shortly after the famous Quark Sparks speech "Particles of the world, unite".
There are still a few free electrons about the place but no one really polarizes on them anymore, current affairs being the priority.

Particular, but not so elementary, my dear.
Watts On !!

I used the complete "Pace" track from Emerald Tablet (a little bit EQed I admit).I hope, Emerald, that you do not mind the treatment.
The DC12 entry used are the BPB Commodore 64 Kontakt instrument for the accompanying chords & one of the Penultiame Trilogy sample is also used in the "Hadron" swipe in the middle.
The rest is mainly Kontakt instruments in Logic , hence the reduced choice of DC12 entries.
My daughter sings on this track, I think it is her first recorded performance.
BTW "Pace" also means "PEACE" in a number of languages. It is one of my favourite words.
Peace to you all then & my best Season's Greetings.

NATIONAL ANTHEM

http://soundcloud.com/forw/1212-forw-calibu

d o w n l o a d
https://soundcloud.com/forw/1212-forw-calibu/download

- uses parts of bzur's track from last month.
- uses developer challenge software PROXIMITY

daw: cubase
instruments: kontakt 5
samples and fx: kontakt library choir and strings, chapman trumpet, 4x my voice
sk note presence (love it!), some basic cubase fx
recorded with sm58 and firebox

edit!
I forgot the lyrics:

1 where all the rivers and streams flow
all kinds of flowers sway in the wind
behind the mountains of black and blue
lies our sweet land of calibu

2 where all the birds sing their songs of peace
all kinds of people sway in the wind
behind the mountains of black and blue
lies our sweet land of calibu

calibu oh calibu
save our kings and queens
calibu oh calibu
peace and unity

(rep. refrain)

A New Australian Anthem

With apologies to mellotronaut for molesting his 'Boats Talk'.

From KVR DC 2012: Catalyst by Broken Gadget, Commodore 64 Synthesizer Sessions DELUXE by Bedroom Producers Blog. (I had planned to use Orchestral Strings One for the second part, but I couldn't get my DAW to recognise it. :shrug:)

Other stuff: 'Microsoft Anna' via SAPI5 TTSApp (supplemented by a couple of web TTS services); ReaVoice; GPO; Omnisynth; sfz.

No time to finish it properly (at home)... :shrug:

The Realm of Absurdia
A. At least one entry from the Developer Challenge
and
B. At least part of one (and only one) of the following full entries (no stems) from November's contest as a significant part of your submission
A.: The Total Composure Orchestra + ThrillseekerXTC

B.: Kryptonaut - ICBM

I also used : NI Bandstand, Glaceverb, USM, LFX-1310, Kjaerhus Classic bundle

Happy Holidays !
:party:

Happy is the Land (O Dim Far Gone)
2:04 / 2.7MB ogg or 2.9MB mp3

mp3 . . . . ogg

The national anthem of M______________, which you can find by first going to Cockaigne then turning left.

Lyrics:
Happy is the land that's left alone.

Happy is the land that no one knows.

Happy is the land that can't be seen.
O dim far gone sweet nowhere queen.

Happy is the land that no one knows.
O dim far gone sweet nowhere rose.

Used (bold=contest requirement item): MU.LAB, Audacity, Shangsean's November entry, ThrillseekerXTC, PitchedDelay, Full Bucket's Frequency Shifter, GNormal, GHi, Eos, dlmsixtyfive, Bus, Roundtone, Spitfish, SPAN, saz, slide. Oh, and sfz with Zvon's Prepared Rhodes for the count-in.
No longer a moderator.

As this isn't great and is not intended to be heard by anyone I propose that it should be the new National Anthem of one of those countries that have never won an Olympic gold medal.

Unheard Anthem

I used a small part of RuediRena's Deadly Drummer Boy, slowed down
I also used Orchestral Strings One by Sound Magic

DAW's
Reason 3
Tracktion 2

Plug-Ins
Tracktion 4-Band Equaliser
Kjaerhaus Classic Chorus & Reverb
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5484057/1212_N ... distan.mp3

It's the national anthem of the ancient world power Al-Nomadistan. This tribe rose from deserts and ruled the world in the ancient times. They were a war tribe, but treated conquered populations of their realm well.

Now off to celebrate Christmas! Happy holidays to all! :)

Daw: Reaper

Rhythm track: robojam - Project Compilation

Instruments:

Miroslav Phillharmonik
Sampletank World Grooves expansion
Alchemy Player
Orchestral Strings One (from Developer Challenge 2012)

Effects:

ReaEq
Epicverb
Q976
T-RackS CS Classic EQ
TAL Filter 2
Classic Reverb

The Anthem of The Robot's Republic of Automatonia

The Robot's Republic of Automatonia is a country of broken robots. It's built around the mayfixism ideology, which is based on equal distribution of power and WD40, and nothing is functioning properly there. It however didn't stop RRA from being the major world's producer of stuff. Most of this stuff break within 2-10 minutes of usage, but people don't mind, because the price is good. Therefore Automatonia is slowly spreading mayfixism all over the world.

The anthem is composed to resemble the spirit of a factory assemble line. It has no lyrics as such, but it contains important fragments of mayfixism program code manifest in pure data stream.

The rhythm part is DH Miltz's 'Take Three, Make One' composition. I used the following DC12 contest entries to make this piece of masterpiece: ThrillseekerXTC, PTEq-1a, TDR Labs Proximity and Full Bucket's Frequency Shifter. I also used: Kontakt, Klanghelm DC1A, rs-met Engineer's Filter and IIEQpro. Thank you and good luck.

evo2slo - Flag Free

Drum Track: Doc Jon - Rhythm Method
KVR Developer Challenge Plugs: Proximity, pteq-1a
Instruments: Acoustic and Electric Guitar, Steinberg Halion, u-he Podolski

In a land of make-believe we live in crooked boundaries drawn with the blood of history
Erase these borders that divide the people into warring tribes with an endless supply of enemies
I never got to choose my country I've got no nationality
Flag free
Blinded by loyalty worshipping royalty and political celebrities
The illusion of democracy the same old aristocracy printing their own currency
Exporting hypocrisy you won't find no logos on me
Flag free
I pledge allegiance to an earth where everyone's of equal worth a realm of humanity
The ruling class is obsolete what we create is what we keep and we share whatever we don't need
Open your eyes and see a world of possibilities
Flag Free

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/108738779/1212_ ... aGoYev.mp3

File Used: ClaRaGo
DAW: C6
Piano: Addictive Keys
Drums: Guru, Triple Cheese
Effects: Vee3, AAR
DC 2012: Transient

The Hymn of the former Republic of Siberia now commonly known as Piraty Arktikij

RuediRena - Piraty Arktikij (Listen/Download)

http://soundcloud.com/ruedirena/201212-ruedirena-piraty

List of sounds and things:
First of all ZombieQueen's glorious Pirates of the Polar Highways,
from DC 12: Sound Magic's Orchestral Strings One and Lively Audio's Maxwell Smart,
DAW: Reaper, Kjaerhus Classic Reverb and Chorus, Stillwell Superpitch
Pirate Voices: Ruedi, Ruedi, Ruedi, Ruedi, Ruedi, Ruedi, ... via Rode NT1-A/Edirol UA25-EX

This is a one shot, last minutes, shabby submission. Beware!

Return to “Music Cafe”