What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Pulsewidth percentage

Official support for: vaz-synths.com

Moderator: MadGav

KVRist

333 posts since 9 Jul, 2012

Postby secretkillerofnames; Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:54 pm Pulsewidth percentage

Hiya,

I just have a question about Pulsewidth. I'm working through Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook and a number of the preset "recipes" ask for Pulsewidths of less than 50%. Is there a way in Vaz to reduce a pulsewidth below 50 as it seems like most of the oscillators are set with 50 as the minimum.

chrs
Lloyd
KVRian

814 posts since 1 Mar, 2003, from Duston, NN5

Postby kingtubby; Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:46 am

Use an inverter module after the osc
everybody entertains everybody else
KVRAF

18396 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:35 am

secretkillerofnames wrote:Hiya,

I just have a question about Pulsewidth. I'm working through Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook and a number of the preset "recipes" ask for Pulsewidths of less than 50%. Is there a way in Vaz to reduce a pulsewidth below 50 as it seems like most of the oscillators are set with 50 as the minimum.

chrs
Lloyd

A few synths do that, its quite annoying. Dont know what they cant do a full duty cycle from 0 - 100 with centre being a square/50%
KVRist

Postby secretkillerofnames; Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:38 pm

kingtubby wrote:Use an inverter module after the osc

Thought that might be the one to use but the instructions are brief. I assume it inverts the signal so 50 - 100 become 50 - 0?
KVRist

495 posts since 2 Oct, 2011

Postby V-GER; Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:17 pm

If you don't need it completely thinned out another option can be to use a fixed value module patched into the Pulsewidth Modulation input, with the fixed value set to it's lovest value and the degre of PWM cranked up it takes you down to what looks like roughly 25 % to me on the oscilloscope. If you're not sure what I mean I can post a screencap. This trick can be used on other modules too in some cases to get lower/higher values, longer release times etc.

And yes the inverter, well, inverts.. Audio and modulation signals alike. :) Most modulation processing modules can treat audio and most audio processing modules can treat modulation signals (I think all can, just with some you'd probably not want to)...
"Well, I haven't tried anything yet. I need to research solutions
first."
KVRist

Postby secretkillerofnames; Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:30 pm

V-GER wrote:If you don't need it completely thinned out another option can be to use a fixed value module patched into the Pulsewidth Modulation input, with the fixed value set to it's lovest value and the degre of PWM cranked up it takes you down to what looks like roughly 25 % to me on the oscilloscope. If you're not sure what I mean I can post a screencap. This trick can be used on other modules too in some cases to get lower/higher values, longer release times etc.

And yes the inverter, well, inverts.. Audio and modulation signals alike. :) Most modulation processing modules can treat audio and most audio processing modules can treat modulation signals (I think all can, just with some you'd probably not want to)...

I'll give both approaches a try after work. Thanks for the tips.

Moderator: MadGav

Return to VAZ Synths