Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Steinberg have seemed to release country specific versions of Cubase

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

dubfonik
KVRer

11 posts since 26 Jul, 2012, from Australia

Postby dubfonik; Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:41 am Steinberg have seemed to release country specific versions of Cubase

I just bought a copy of Cubase 7 from ebay USA, and I live in Australia.

When I went to activate it, I got an error saying that I have entered a "US Only" version and that I will not get any support or updates if I choose to proceed with the activation!

I'm pretty angry about it, and have written to the place I bought it from (not their fault, but it wasn't listed on the ebay listing)..

Steinberg have done this on purpose to control the market and distribution - I should be able to get it anywhere!

does anybody else have any experience or information about this?
asnor
KVRist

361 posts since 13 Jan, 2007

Postby asnor; Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:05 am

They do it so they don't get undercut by someone importing the product from a market with a weaker currency.

I guess the alternative would be that they charge the same relative price regardless of the market.
dubfonik
KVRer

11 posts since 26 Jul, 2012, from Australia

Postby dubfonik; Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:35 pm

well now I'm out of pocket and time. I wouldn't have bothered if I had known.
v1o
KVRian

633 posts since 1 Oct, 2004

Postby v1o; Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Cubase now comes in Pal, NTSC and Secam flavours.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2
rentboyrenton
KVRist

81 posts since 7 Jul, 2012

Postby rentboyrenton; Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Couldn't you use a vpn?
daExpert
KVRist

327 posts since 20 Nov, 2005

Postby daExpert; Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:58 pm

I didn't know they could make a host specifically for country music. I'm impressed!
ghettosynth
KVRAF

4457 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:08 pm

agit wrote:Couldn't you use a vpn?

This is indeed a simple solution to at least get registered. Although, I have to ask what use is Cubase support?
egbert
KVRAF

3673 posts since 20 Oct, 2001, from my bolthole in the south pacific

Postby egbert; Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:18 pm

The Borg. Resistance is futile. I would just go ahead and install. Support is going to come in handy if you have a problem with your hardware key. If you bought that in Oz (with an earlier version) they might help you in Oz anyway.

In general, support has been something that I have needed only to fix installation issues. Bugs etc are more things that I have learned about (workarounds etc) from the forums. I almost never go to the forums these days.
C-note
KVRAF

1531 posts since 2 Apr, 2006, from Studio City, California

Postby C-note; Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:11 pm

dubfonik wrote:I just bought a copy of Cubase 7 from ebay USA, and I live in Australia.

When I went to activate it, I got an error saying that I have entered a "US Only" version and that I will not get any support or updates if I choose to proceed with the activation!

I'm pretty angry about it, and have written to the place I bought it from (not their fault, but it wasn't listed on the ebay listing)..

Steinberg have done this on purpose to control the market and distribution - I should be able to get it anywhere!

does anybody else have any experience or information about this?

Caveat emptor
WhySoLazy?
KVRist

93 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby WhySoLazy?; Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:57 am

Have you solve your problem ?

I have the same issue .

I have not got this warning message but after activating I noticed that my license listed as Cubase 7 US .

I think you should try to return it as you have not informed by the seller that this us US version .

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)