Massey TapeHead VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FerricTDS is great in its own respect, but Tapebus sounds more to my liking [console/hardware like?] I've just spent a few dozen minutes comparing them. TapeHead is also a bit more to my liking than FerricTDS. However, I think there's a place for each one of these, but you have to know their sound, what they do to it. I like VOS plugins very much, but regarding saturation, I prefer his newer ones like ThrillSeekerLA, or TesslaPro. ThrillSeekerLA for mixing, since its absolutely NOT subtle, and it's a great compressor, too, absolutely to my liking. :)

I mention "to my liking" a lot so you can tell that it's very subjective, and that means your opinion could differ greatly from mine. I mean, what's actually better or worse sounding? It's totally and completely subjective, ey? :hihi: I "grew up" with consoles and hardware, still mix on a console with hardware at times, and I love it. So my taste is biased towards achieving that kinda sound. Rather "dirty", but not digitally clipped and sounding harsh so much.
Last edited by DuX on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

That new "Soft and Smooth" algo in TapeBus is really sweet. It's my favourite tape sim so far, but I really like what TapeHead does at high settings too.

You probably like TapeHead at high drive with "bright" 1 or 2 on, I guess? At "normal", it sounds too dull to me now after using it for some time. I actually prefer the "bright" setting most of the time.

I'm also not so excited about this plugin any more... at all. it's a clear pass for me. Too much hype over nothing special. Just MHO. I prefer TB Reelbus and Ferox saturation plugins currently, and they come quite cheap. Ferox can also double as a very nice tape-delay.

Cheers!
Last edited by DuX on Wed May 22, 2013 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I like this plugin. Used it on a bass guitar and synth today to dirty them up. Can never have too many saturation plugins. I'm going to use the free mono plugin for a while and see if I end up buying the full version.

Oh well i have tested every sat/tape plugin i have, and there's many, and nothing does what this does. No other plugin.

I'd really like to read an official word.

"Yes, we will make a 64 bit" or "no, we won't"

and "yes, we plan au support" or, "no, we only plan to support pro tools and vst".

Cheers.. i mean ive made enough noise about you would have expected an answer either way by now.

TheoM wrote:Oh well i have tested every sat/tape plugin i have, and there's many, and nothing does what this does. No other plugin.

and "yes, we plan au support" or, "no, we only plan to support pro tools and vst".

Cheers.. i mean ive made enough noise about you would have expected an answer either way by now.
Steve posted this on GS:
We plan to have at least a couple more released next month. Right now, CT5 and vt3 are closest to finalization.

After that it's a little less predictable which will be ready next. As folks have noted, we also need to tackle VST3/64-bit at some point soon. But, the mood of this thread implies it might be prudent to prioritize THC to the top of the list . I also want to use the opportunity of a new platform to make some minor improvements here & there. It's always tricky to tweak a plugin after release as it usually involves breaking preset and/or sonic compatibility, so now is a great time.

Steve
Massey Plugins Inc.

audiosabre wrote:http:///audiosabre.com/music/mp3/TapeTest.mp3
If anyone is curious, that was:

DRY
FF Saturn - Old Tape
Massey TapeHead
VintageWarmer

jensa wrote:
TheoM wrote:Oh well i have tested every sat/tape plugin i have, and there's many, and nothing does what this does. No other plugin.

Steve posted this on GS:
We plan to have at least a couple more released next month. Right now, CT5 and vt3 are closest to finalization.

After that it's a little less predictable which will be ready next. As folks have noted, we also need to tackle VST3/64-bit at some point soon. But, the mood of this thread implies it might be prudent to prioritize THC to the top of the list . I also want to use the opportunity of a new platform to make some minor improvements here & there. It's always tricky to tweak a plugin after release as it usually involves breaking preset and/or sonic compatibility, so now is a great time.

Steve
Massey Plugins Inc.
wow hes really not into au. how completely bizarre. lost interest now. next.

TheoM wrote:how completely bizarre.
yes, porting is not even SMOP, it's simply clicking "Port to xyz format" option in IDE.

I tend to see tape emulators as something that rolls off some highs in a musical way and compresses it. It doesn't add any harmonics like a tube drive, does it?

When judging these things i see you can do it in two ways. First off how good it makes things sound and second how well it emulates a tape. It's like analog synth emulations. You may have a great juno emulation, but if you don't like the juno it doesn't matter, right? :) Now, i don't think anyone "dislikes" tapes and thus not emulations of it.
Oh well, letting my fingers go. Damn bipolar almost hypomania restless thrill :lol: I just feel love all around me, and right now especially on tape emulators :D
:hug:

Is Tape Head even a "tape emulator"? I seriously have no idea what that means, having never worked on tape. It sounds like a saturation plugin to me. I don't know what the difference between the two is.

[pedantry]
Yeah it doesn't model the the whole tape machine architecture, more of a tape-style saturation plugin (like VintageWarmer but without tape compression).

I love it for this fact, plenty of other plugins that do the whole tape deck thing. Which means wow, flutter, freq response of the tape itself, input transformer, output drive, etc, etc.

This really isn't an emulation.
[/pedantry]

urosh wrote:
TheoM wrote:how completely bizarre.
yes, porting is not even SMOP, it's simply clicking "Port to xyz format" option in IDE.
I have no idea what you are talking about, other than to say that AU is the most popular format on mac statistically, as in, the actual most used.

Secondly, gearslutz points to Mr Massey throwing a hissy fit at apple, and as they say at GS, if others can make au's, why can't he (well he CAN, as i have his free tapehead au right now, and it sounds identical but with no gui, and even though it's a 32 bit plugin, it doesn't use logic's bridge cause it has no custom gui, so it works flawlessly)

so after all that, i find out, without looking at all pretty, the sound of what i have been after has been available for free all along. But i still say do 64 bit and AU, cause there are many plugins in his site which look like they could be fantastic.

But if someone is that against my platform of choice, i can hardly beg.. i am not that pathetic.

Return to “Effects”