KORG to re-release the MS-20!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, for those who are getting an analog synth for the 1st time...

How long would might take before components age or go bad?
With some components, "aging" isn't necessarily a bad thing, right?
What can one do to prevent aging or components going bad?

I'm so excited, the video got a nice industrial "synth" vibe to it that I like as well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-owDEGpac

I wonder what the build quality would be, in one video the pots looked kinda poor... probably to get the costs down
(not that it really matters, as the insides are the one that do I guess)

Does anybody have a better grasp of what the capabilities are exactly for processing external audio?

I'm always looking for weird stuff to run my guitar into, but when they say "guitar/vocal synth" are they talking pitch detection or running the guitar/vocal signal through the whole thing - or both? It's hard to tell what's going on from the video...

3ee wrote:OK, for those who are getting an analog synth for the 1st time...

How long would might take before components age or go bad?
Depends on the synth. Some parts are much more likely to fail than others. Also may depend on how frequently you use the synth.
3ee wrote:With some components, "aging" isn't necessarily a bad thing, right
I don't see many advantages, often causes malfunction or noise. Zipper noise is perhaps the most common issue, coming from aging pots. Of course they can be cleaned or replaced.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

wasi wrote:Does anybody have a better grasp of what the capabilities are exactly for processing external audio?

I'm always looking for weird stuff to run my guitar into, but when they say "guitar/vocal synth" are they talking pitch detection or running the guitar/vocal signal through the whole thing - or both? It's hard to tell what's going on from the video...
There's a dedicated signal chain (External Signal Processor) with a bandpass filter, frequency-to-voltage convertor and envelope follower in it.

You'll find the original MS-20 manual as a PDF easily via Google, it'll show you the signal diagram and what you'll get from the ESP...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

With the resurgence of available analog models and manufacturers like Korg, Arturia, DSI, Doepfer, etc selling so many units, there should be an abundance of parts available and cleaning services too. Not necessarily something i'll worry about for the next few years. Particularly at price point. Think about VST's and their life cycle with new OS's. it's kind of a gamble there too unless you are going to keep an old machine around that you know runs it well. Then you have to worry about hardware life cycle again anyway.

I would be pretty happy to rent an analog synth at $100 a year, so to me, if mine lasts more than 5 years at great performance, then I won't sweat it too much. Chances are that the gear will last many years longer than that.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:With the resurgence of available analog models and manufacturers like Korg, Arturia, DSI, Doepfer, etc selling so many units, there should be an abundance of parts available and cleaning services too.
FWIW, that may be harder depending whether the components for these are SMD, as they are on eg the Monotrons.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

i still want one!

shit, I want two. :D

i'm also taking it for granted that this will be a mod friendly device {mental note;; research existing ms-20 mods}, especially & at the very least for stuff like adding a 1/4" input, maybe a dedicated 1/4" output too rather than using the 1/4" headphone out. Ironic that the headphone out is 1/4" yet the audio in seems to be 1/8".. despite the fact the designer apparently likes using it with his guitar. Whatevs, "needs must" as they say and I give KORG massive, and enduring, props for hitting that 600 bucks mark. Too expensive for a monosynth in 2013 ? if you say so, more ms20 for me :)

Another bonus about the re-issue imo is that it's using one of those proprietary 9v KORG wall wart power adapters {if I'm not mistaken, and I don't think I am}. Meaning we no longer have to consider 110v VS 220v issues when buying used etc, other than using the appropriate adapter. If my experience with other KORG devices is anything to go by at least.

Anyone who buys one { or two :) } should really consider emailing KORG directly, maybe at the point of registration if they're doing that, and let them know you'd also buy re-issues of the sequencer/expansions if they came in at the right price. Just a suggestion, especially if you are interested in those things I really think you should contact them about it directly besides mentioning it on social media etc.

whyterabbyt wrote:
wasi wrote:Does anybody have a better grasp of what the capabilities are exactly for processing external audio?

There's a dedicated signal chain (External Signal Processor) with a bandpass filter, frequency-to-voltage convertor and envelope follower in it.

You'll find the original MS-20 manual as a PDF easily via Google, it'll show you the signal diagram and what you'll get from the ESP...
Thanks! I was under the impression that the ESP block had been altered/enhanced under the hood for the reissue. But f to V it is then but you can mix the external signal with the internal one.

Have to admit that video was cool and shows off some good sounds. I'm going to rapidly run out of room with as much cool stuff as they have coming out. Mini or not.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Could I could buy a Elektron Analog Four and use it to sequence the MS-20 Mini?
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:Could I could buy a Elektron Analog Four and use it to sequence the MS-20 Mini?
I think the answer might be yes. I was just checking out this video last night and thinking the same thing. Although I plan on using one of my hardware sequencers. (I don't have an Elektron.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO1NiOaWIHU[/url]
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

V0RT3X wrote:Could I could buy a Elektron Analog Four and use it to sequence the MS-20 Mini?

Don't see why not - I'll probably sequence mine from a Spectralis and use the Analog Fours CV's for extra LFO's and EG's instead myself - I think the MS20 with an extra AUX envelope and audio rate LFO would be quite a nice addition (or two extra LFo's) and so on and so forth.

Can't wait to use the two of them together :).
Links to other media sites and contact details are available at the bottom of my artists website.

http://venndiagram.ca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E3xBFErcmE

not a great demo, but right at the end the KORG rep confirms that the oscillators are digitally stabilized. It's kind of odd because before that he stresses how it's only the midi-in & USB that's digital. Then the guy behind the camera asks if it's digitally stabilized and the rep says "ya, but just the oscillators"

derp derp ?

Sounds like the oscillator from the Monotribe in that case.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”