What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

KingKorg

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
Luftrum
KVRian
 
1051 posts since 3 Jul, 2007, from Denmark

Postby Luftrum; Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Wait... Is that a speaker I see to the left? :?
Luftrum Sound Designer, Field Recordist, Philanthropist.
Sounds For Synth Soundbanks to 36 different synths!
Timfonie
KVRian
 
1225 posts since 6 Jan, 2004, from The Netherlands

Postby Timfonie; Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Luftrum wrote:Wait... Is that a speaker I see to the left? :?

No, that's only a grill to let the sound come out.
The speaker is underneath and is invisible. So don't worry, you can't see it.


Just kidding. It actually is a grill to vent the tube which can get hot.
How can I get that mp3-player out of my brain?!
VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!
 
7702 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm

No aftertouch and a ton of parameters without controls make it a non-starter for me.. how can they claim this is a performance designed synth and not have aftertouch? I can excuse the controls.. but no AT? really?

Especially for the price they are asking..

Sounds nice to me at least.. thanks 'Dragon for posting that.
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
JavaJ
KVRian
 
1127 posts since 25 Jul, 2007, from Calgary

Postby JavaJ; Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 am

So why is this becoming a common thing- newer synths with zero aftertouch. The Jupiters are like that as well (and most of the lower end Rolands). I wonder if most people don't actually use it (or the control of afterouch is so tough to nail that you likely would rather just use the pitch/modwheel and real knobs).
I wonder what the added cost is to put aftertouch on a keybed (and what polyphonic aftertouch adds to that even).
Jeeze, we complain that there are no polyphonic aftertouch boards out there- and it looks like we are going to be complaining a lot more. Maybe AT is going the way of Betamax?
ʝλ√λʝ
Kriminal
KVRAF
 
18387 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am

only 2 x timbral, pretty crap for a synth that big. Should be able to play 4 sounds on a keyboard that size IMO.

having a CV out is cool tho, but its not going to tempt me from the Venom.
User avatar
Luftrum
KVRian
 
1051 posts since 3 Jul, 2007, from Denmark

Postby Luftrum; Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:33 pm

When I look at the new King Korg, I can't help to think how unfortunate the design came off. Such a bulky non-appealing case... but of course it's not about the looks. I just wouldn't hire that designer for a software GUI, just saying. :)
Luftrum Sound Designer, Field Recordist, Philanthropist.
Sounds For Synth Soundbanks to 36 different synths!
Timfonie
KVRian
 
1225 posts since 6 Jan, 2004, from The Netherlands

Postby Timfonie; Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Next year Korg may announce the Prince Korg, a much smaller version with only a few control knobs and a mini keyboard, yet with the same sound engine.
How can I get that mp3-player out of my brain?!
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
19528 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Timfonie wrote:Next year Korg may announce the Prince Korg, a much smaller version with only a few control knobs and a mini keyboard, yet with the same sound engine.


And large rack ears :)
himalaya
KVRAF
 
3953 posts since 23 Mar, 2006, from pendeLondonmonium

Postby himalaya; Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:51 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
Timfonie wrote:Next year Korg may announce the Prince Korg, a much smaller version with only a few control knobs and a mini keyboard, yet with the same sound engine.


And large rack ears :)


:hihi:


I just saw the video below and ...it looks and sounds to be rather good! It seems to be very flexible with all the bells and whistles, including various filter modes and the vocoder. Nice.

I actually like the way it looks, however, one thing that does not make sense is the position of the FX knobs vs the filter and osc knobs. The FX knobs are on the left hand side, so when I play with my right hand (a solo, for example) I need to reach out and stretch my left hand to reach the filter cutoff which is also on the right side - that's just counter intuitive... Anyway, out of the big three Japanese companies, Korg is definitely on the ball with this year's releases. I wonder if they are scratching their heads at Roland and Yamaha HQ after seeing what Korg has been up to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGBOBc1ygf4
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!
 
7702 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:06 pm

But he goes through in the video (that you posted! :-P) that you can use the joystick to control the filter.

It sounds even better in that youtube video.. good thickness and lots of stereo separation too.. also appreciate that it handles both synth and traditional, acoustic instruments. Really like the look of it too even though that largely doesn't matter.. :hihi:

Still not buying. Basically, I want a virus that is not a virus and costs 2/3rd less.

If they offered this in desktop mode with more controls, stable VSTi plugin, and under 700 street, I'd be interested. (are you listening. Korg? No? Didn't think so :lol:)
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
himalaya
KVRAF
 
3953 posts since 23 Mar, 2006, from pendeLondonmonium

Postby himalaya; Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:18 pm

VitaminD wrote:But he goes through in the video (that you posted! :-P) that you can use the joystick to control the filter.


Oh, yeah, I know. :-)
But what if I assign the joystick to other parameters?
Or when I just want to grab a filter or oscillator parameter which is not assigned to the joystick.

Traditionally the signal flow has always been osc ->filter-> and then the other bits. Having FX as the first thing in line is weird, although, effects have become part of the performance in today's electronic music (think FSU plugins) so it makes some sense in this context. Grab the FX parameter here and there and add some glitched-out madness. For example, the pre FX have a decimator and ring mod, the Mod FX have flanger or phaser/chorus etc and the Delay has some nice delay options (mod delay?) so there are plenty of options for real-time sonic madness - edit the ring mod, while changing the mod delay rate...
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
steff3
KVRist
 
468 posts since 7 Oct, 2006

Postby steff3; Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Yes, they should get their act together and deliver a pro version - with aftertouch or even poly pressure. Sorry, but animoog on iPad is a better performance controller .... sound seems to be ok, but the hardware is just cheap.

best
stillshaded
KVRist
 
305 posts since 18 Apr, 2011

Postby stillshaded; Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:11 pm

himalaya wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Timfonie wrote:Next year Korg may announce the Prince Korg, a much smaller version with only a few control knobs and a mini keyboard, yet with the same sound engine.


And large rack ears :)


:hihi:


I just saw the video below and ...it looks and sounds to be rather good! It seems to be very flexible with all the bells and whistles, including various filter modes and the vocoder. Nice.

I actually like the way it looks, however, one thing that does not make sense is the position of the FX knobs vs the filter and osc knobs. The FX knobs are on the left hand side, so when I play with my right hand (a solo, for example) I need to reach out and stretch my left hand to reach the filter cutoff which is also on the right side - that's just counter intuitive... Anyway, out of the big three Japanese companies, Korg is definitely on the ball with this year's releases. I wonder if they are scratching their heads at Roland and Yamaha HQ after seeing what Korg has been up to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGBOBc1ygf4


Is that a speed boat engine to his left!? :shock: Im so confused...


It sound la pretty good. If you're a gigging keyboardist could have it's use. But nothing you can't top in the software world IMO.
kelvyn
KVRian
 
763 posts since 9 Mar, 2008, from netherlands

Postby kelvyn; Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:33 pm

Personality free keyboard IMO
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)