It's been the one of the most requested features for rather a long while, so I'm pleased to publicly release this String 1.3.10 beta, which debuts keyboard parameter entry.
String is a virtual instrument and fx unit that emulates the beautiful sound of the polyphonic string synthesizer. String's authentic tone comes from its accurate emulation of the divide-down oscillator technology behind the lush ensemble synths of the 70s.
This release adds the following changes :
- (feature) Keyboard entry of rotary parameter values. Rotary controls can now be typed directly into by clicking on the text value below the control.
- (improvement:Mac OS X) Installer and all installed components are now signed in compliance with Mac OS X 10.8's Gatekeeper system.
- (improvement:Linux) When using the JACK audio system in standalone mode, String will sync to the JACK transport's tempo.
- (fix:RTAS) Fix for the right-channel muting when bypassing String in Pro Tools when used on a mono to stereo track.
- (fix) Fix for input and output devices occasionally becoming un-selectable.
- (improvement) Significantly improved UI response speed; reduced CPU usage when parameters are automated whilst the UI open.
- (improvement:Windows) Clearer font rendering on preset browser.
- (improvement:Windows) Removed C++ runtime libraries redistributable requirement for RTAS plug-ins. The installer no longer installs the C++ runtime library redistributable components when installing the RTAS plug-ins.
I've tested on as wide a range of operating systems and hosts as time allowed, and it appears that keyboard control works in them all. Obviously though, there are a lot combinations out there, so I'd like to hear if anyone discovers a host in which keypresses aren't correctly forwarded to String.
The only other change worth mentioning is that Gatekeeper signed packages will not work on Mac OS X 10.4. So whilst we're still supporting this older OS, anyone on 10.4 will need to download a specific dmg for their system. Everyone else should use the standard signed builds.
If you have any problems with this release (and I'd be very surprised if these Gatekeeper changes don't break something), don't hesitate to let us know. Once I'm happy that this build is stable, I'll put out an official release. Enjoy!
Mac OS X 10.4 unsigned
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRR2B ... FU4Q1FHT00
Mac OS X 10.5 and above, Gatekeeper signed
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRR2B ... ExxbW1CNEk
Windows 32-bit and 64-bit
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRR2B ... G9qT08wTTA
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRR2B ... zdrcEVSVjA
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRR2B ... 3BKd0hYUE0